SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#82579 - 02/03/06 09:12 AM Any advice on purchasing an inground pool?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I just purchased a brand new home in Sept of 2005 and after saving my pennies, I'm thinking of putting in an inground pool.

Anyone have advice on size, type, shape, etc?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#82580 - 02/03/06 11:37 AM Re: Any advice on purchasing an inground pool?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
MY advice is don't do it. I sold a house just to get rid of the pool after my last kid left the nest.
check out the after market costs and all the inherent problems with pool service companies and it will quickly discourage you, not to mention the initial cost for pool and equipment and the GAS bill for heating can be a few hundred dollars a month in this current market.
Bebop

#82581 - 02/03/06 11:39 AM Re: Any advice on purchasing an inground pool?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Check with your homeowners insurance. Around here, some homes with pools are not insurable.
Others have high rates, for some reason.

I had one on the farm before I sold it, and the maintenance was substantial.

Good Luck!

Russ

#82582 - 02/03/06 12:40 PM Re: Any advice on purchasing an inground pool?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
rkr ... no doubt you will get as many opinions on this as you would if you asked "what keyboard is best" ... and the answer is just about the same ... "whatever works best for YOU !!!" ...
Back when we lived in Staten Island, we had a house with a pool when our kids were between the ages of 7/4 through 17/14 ... we left only because of a company move ... In fact that pool is still standing (it was an above ground that we put 1/2 way into the ground) ... during the summer our house was the family meeting place on weekends ... b-b-q every weekend, and of course on Sundays that included pasta and ALL the trimmings ... I hated when I had to leave the 'party' to go play a gig, which was every weekend ... our kid's friends used to come over to our house, so we always knew where our kids were ... I was REALLY into running at the time, and many a time after a run I just ditched the running shoes and dove right in ... was it work? sure, but the stuff they have to automatically clean pools nowadays makes that a lot easier ... do I miss it? definitely ...would I do it all over again? ABSOLUTELY !!! ... only this time I would go completely inground ... is it an asset? ...probably not, but you're putting it in for you, not the next owner of the house ... Now if all of the above turns you OFF, don't get a pool ...
I know this doesn't answer your 'technical' questions, but I wanted to give you the view from the 'positive' side ...
As far as size and shape, it depends on how you are going to use it ... if you really want to swim, it's got to be long enough to do so ... if you are more concerned about the aesthetics, you may want to look at a nice kidney shape ... as I said, a lot of it is up to you ...
t.

#82583 - 02/03/06 02:53 PM Re: Any advice on purchasing an inground pool?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Al...
I hummed & hawed over the concept of an in-ground pool.
Basically I found the idea didn't hold water...

On a more serious note...what about the idea of a water garden, you know, a pond, small waterfall, babbling brook sort of thing.
It's guaranteed to up the value of your property, and it's relatively low maintenance, depending on it's complexity or simplicity.
Our neighbour put in a water garden, ran him about $30,000. He's got a pond, two small waterfalls, lily pads, the whole nine yards.
Increased the value of his place immediately......and mine, because of the view.

------------------
...shboom

#82584 - 02/03/06 06:32 PM Re: Any advice on purchasing an inground pool?
kbrkr Offline

Wow, I didn't expect to get so many negative responses to the Pool idea. I had put in an above ground pool in my last home. I installed it myself. I used this pool every other day and thoroughly enjoyed the maintenence and upkeep. However, an inground pool adds another room to the house, only outdoors. I have 3 teens and they attract another 10 teens. My house is a party house as we always have dinner parties and barbecues. I've wanted an inground pool my whole life. I don't see the downside?

Al

#82585 - 02/04/06 07:36 AM Re: Any advice on purchasing an inground pool?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Al ...Your situation sounds very similar to what mine was at the time we had one ... and I say GO FOR IT ... If you go to sell your house it MAY prove to be more of a liability than an asset, but that will remain to be seen ... anything you can do to make your kids WANT to be at YOUR house with their friends is a GOOD thing ... and who knows??? MAYBE they will help with the maintenance once in a blue moon ...
t.

#82586 - 02/09/06 04:17 PM Re: Any advice on purchasing an inground pool?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I LOVE my 18 x 30 inground pool! It needs a liner this year ( 20+ YEARS OLD ), AND IT IS A LOT OF UPKEEP, BUT i lOVE THE OASIS IT PROVIDES IN MY BACK YARD. ( DAMN CAPS LOK !!!)
Go for it, but research it first !

#82587 - 02/13/06 05:18 PM Re: Any advice on purchasing an inground pool?
kbrkr Offline

Finally, someone with some sense around this joint.

I did it, I ordered a Grecian True-L Pool. I'm stoked, they were going to break ground in 2-3 weeks before that stupid New York Blizzard hit!!

I really need an Oasis right about now.

#82588 - 02/14/06 04:01 PM Re: Any advice on purchasing an inground pool?
MrEd Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Finally, someone with some sense around this joint.

I did it, I ordered a Grecian True-L Pool. I'm stoked, they were going to break ground in 2-3 weeks before that stupid New York Blizzard hit!!

I really need an Oasis right about now.

This, just in ...

"NUOVO SYNT KORG OASIS
VERSIONE 88 TASTI E 76 TASTI"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online