SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#82413 - 02/16/05 11:55 AM Re: Enduring pay cut
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yep, just over half my age--but you're catching up! Wow! I just thought of all the crazy things I did at 33, and I still enjoy some of them.

Good Luck on whatever avenue you decide to take,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#82414 - 02/16/05 02:47 PM Re: Enduring pay cut
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
After graduating with a degree in accounting, I spent a month as an auditor for a large tire company....HATED IT!

Decided then to only do for a living what I would do for fun.

Sadly, many people spend their whole lives doing things they didn't spend as much time deciding than buying a new pair of tires. They enter the workforce and take the first available job. Then, the kids and bills start and they spend their working lives trying to keep their head above water.

The happy people I know are doing what they love. In some instances, there are sacrifices (think full-time musicians)but they wouldn't have it any other way. The secret is to figure out how to make a GOOD living doing what you love and are good at. Even then, there are compromises. I would rather not write copy about circuit breakers or take photos of air conditioners, but I'm working in the graphics, photography and communications field and I REALLY LIKE IT..even after all these years. I don't look forward to playing Misty tonight, but guess what...I'm STILL PLAYING, even after all these years.

Do what excites you! Believe me, it will work out fine!

Best personal regards,

Russ

#82415 - 02/16/05 04:11 PM Re: Enduring pay cut
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
At the age of 39, an opportunity came up for me to move to a different position within my employment. Assessing where I currently was, I realized that 10 or 15 years down the road, I'd be in the same job and 10 or 15 years older.

So I took the plunge, along with a $200 / month pay cut. It was the best thing I ever did. I received, and continue to receive in depth computer training. I'm fully proficient in AutoCAD, CAD-map, Arcview, G.I.S., and numerous other graphic programs. I love what I do (which is very important), and looking back at where I was, I know making the move was the right thing to do.
I might add that I'm now making more in this position, than I would be making had I stayed where I was.
Just my thots....on my situation...
your's may be very different.
Good Luck with whatever your decision may be.

------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 02-17-2005).]

#82416 - 02/17/05 09:20 AM Re: Enduring pay cut
grandpa tom Offline

Loc: Prescott, WI, USA
For my 2 cents worth, I'd go for it. I chucked my last job of 15 years at age 50 and went for my own deal. It paid off and obviously know I did the right thing. When I was much younger I turned down two opportunities in different parts of the country. I always wonder what might have been.

If that 10% cut is going to hurt bad, get a part-time job at Home Depot or something just to tide you over. You know what you have now and you don't like it.

Go for it mon.

Tom

#82417 - 02/17/05 01:59 PM Re: Enduring pay cut
KN_Fan Offline

Thanks guys for all your replies.

The fact that the guy who's going to interview me already said he'd rather have ME rather than the internal applicants already give me a good chance I think.

The cut is not even $100/mth if they gave me what I asked so I'm not struggling financially at all. I will, however, have to postpone buying that Pa1X anytime soon

At this point I think I'm just beyond burned out and my morale and happiness is nowhere near where I was 2-3 years ago.

I'm just waiting for the new company's HR to give me a call to set up an interview. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers!

#82418 - 02/18/05 05:49 AM Re: Enduring pay cut
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
We are the same age.
I believe you should move, but be prepared. Know what you are going to do, know how "low" you can get in money or benefit terms....and take a good look at the prospects in the smaller new company.
I wish you good luck.
Theodore

#82419 - 02/18/05 11:37 AM Re: Enduring pay cut
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers!

We do, and you're already there ...

t.

#82420 - 03/05/05 07:41 AM Re: Enduring pay cut
KN_Fan Offline

Well, I'm sure you guys are dyin' to hear the latest update

Got it...with MORE money than what I'm making now, so no pay cuts after all

The look of my boss' face when I deliver the news...priceless!! That itself was worth the price of the admission ya know!?

The crazy thing is....not long after I accepted the job, my company announced they reduced some of the benefits to the whole employee...man this career move for me was a divine appointment for sure!

Thanks again for all your supports, thoughts and prayers!!

KN_Fan

#82421 - 03/05/05 08:41 AM Re: Enduring pay cut
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Great news Kn_Fan.....glad everything worked out for you...now but that new Pa1X and enjoy

#82422 - 03/05/05 01:19 PM Re: Enduring pay cut
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Great news--glad everything worked out in your favor. Go get em' tiger!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online