SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#82079 - 01/11/05 05:46 PM Examining stocks....
KN_Fan Offline

Hi all-

Would like to know if any of us here play with the stock markets. I'd like to ask for 'easy' tips on what to look for as far as examining the balance sheet, income statement, cash flow, etc..basically the fundamentals of the company. I managed to burn myself really badly (hindsight...shoulda pull out when my gut told me so, greed is a painful lesson to learn). Obviously if the company is making money, burn rate is smaller than income, etc..that's good, but I'm looking for less-obvious clues or just things to watch out for when examining the fundamentals.

Unlike before- I'm playing only with very little money and educating myself a whole lot more than before.

Any advise?

By the way Nigel- I'm busted on AKLM (Acclaim entertainment...chapt 11..long time ago *sigh*)

#82080 - 01/11/05 07:02 PM Re: Examining stocks....
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Since this is the bar, I'll share with you a tip that was given to me several years ago. Do your homework carefully, then buy a stock that has good fundamentals and technicals. If it goes up, you make money. If it goes down, don't buy that stock.

#82081 - 01/11/05 11:29 PM Re: Examining stocks....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'll give you the same advice a friends gave me: buy Walmart stock.

of course that was 25 years ago and I didn't do it.
DonM

#82082 - 01/12/05 02:44 PM Re: Examining stocks....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Sometimes, all the information in the world
will not prevent an investor from getting blindsided.

My stock holdings are from an inheritance...Shering-Plough, Nat City, Regions Bank and AM South. They are all blue chip, and capital gains would be so
great that I'm stuck for a while.

Dividends are approximately the rate of inflation. Several years ago, Shering (makers of Claritin, Coppertone, etc.) was censured for sloppy manufacturing practices in Mexico. After warnings from the FDA, they were fined $400 million. They also lost the patent on Claritin. The result was a 50% reduction of the dividend and a loss of 2/3 of the value.

Investment councelors (read insurance agents trying to sell annuities)are after commissions, so you really have to watch yourself.

Most of the friends I have with bucks to invest are banking on well-rated mutual funds and are in it for the long haul.

Playing the stock market is exciting but potentially devestating.

Don't bet the farm.

A life of crime is where the action is (just kidding!).

Good luck,

russ

#82083 - 01/12/05 04:01 PM Re: Examining stocks....
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Seriously, I have found IBD (Investors Business Daily) to be a great source of helpful information re investments. Following their rather stringent buy/sell rules will pay big dividends for anyone willing to take the time. And time is the key... if you don't have it or are not willing to spend the time, then going with a mutual fund is better. But you can beat the mutual funds if you invest (buy and sell stocks) wisely.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online