SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#82054 - 11/18/05 02:27 PM Re: Evolution
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I said I was done, but .....

Tom, I'm not confused . You may disagree with my opinion, but that does not make me confused.

I don't mind the government taking less then 1/2 of 1% of the budget, to provide for those that are unable to work. Is it your view that the Governement should not promote the general welfare of it's citizens, including the unemployed?

Do a little research, and check out the disribution of wealth for the average working American vs. CEO'S. The percentage in increased earnings is staggering.

Again, this is what I believe. It does not make me wrong,(or confused) because you disagree with my opinion.

Larry

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#82055 - 11/18/05 04:33 PM Re: Evolution
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Larry,

I totally agree that society needs to take care of those who cannot take care of themselves. I don't agree that society ie: government, needs to take care of those that CAN take care of themselves.

The confusion comes in as to what is old and what is new. In the 230 years of this countries existence the redistribution of wealth got its start around 1932 during the Great Depression. I was really kicked into high gear during the 60s and LBJ's "Great Society." That makes it (the redistribution of wealth) a fairly new idea.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Just because we are both entitled to our opinions doesn't logically make them both correct.

Many of the things that Governement does to promote the general welfare are nothing more than pork and a pathetic method to buy votes. I have lived since the inception of the "Great Society" and the results are far from great.

Tom

Tom

#82056 - 11/18/05 07:37 PM Re: Evolution
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Fair enough...but

The Great Society, while not perfect, has certainly helped those that it was intended for, and unfortunatly, like many Government Programs, there are those who are quick to take advantage, and even abuse any program.
This applies to both lower and upper class "benefits"

You may not believe Social Security, The GI Bill, Welfare, etc. has helped those in need, but I do.

There is no easy way to control abuse in Government benefits, and quite frankly, there are much bigger issues to worry about then if Ms. Doe does indeed deserve welfare.

I worry more about all the loopholes that big corporations are able to exploit, and avoid paying there fair share of taxes.

I believe it is more wrong for big corporations to "move offshore" in order to avoid taxes.

I believe that giving tax cuts to the super rich in a time of war is a much worse abuse to the general population, than any Great Society act.

Then there is this little war thing.....

Anyway, we have different Political Views, and that's a good thing. Nothing wrong with a little "check and balance" to keep us all on an even keel. You know the old saying " You never win in politics or religion" I think we can both agree on that.

Thanks for a fair exchange. Now I am indeed done..for sure...and I mean it.

Want one for the road?

Larry

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 11-18-2005).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online