SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81954 - 12/03/05 09:40 PM Bah, humbug!!
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
I guess it's 'special interests' groups in the main, and where governments fit into this I don't know. But are you not just more than a little aggravated by this abandoning of the word 'Christmas' to be replaced by the all-purpose, politically correct, term 'Holiday'? Mustn't offend anyone must we?

The must be a variety of faiths represented by synthzone posters. Are any of you offended if someone comes up to you and in all good intention wishes you a 'Merry Christmas'?

If someone came up to me and wished me a "Merry Diwali', 'Merry Hanukkah', 'Merry Ramadan', etc., I know I wouldn't be in the least offended by it, so just who are these people who want to nullify Christmas?

Bah, humbug!! A pox on all their houses!

#81955 - 12/04/05 10:06 AM Re: Bah, humbug!!
KN_Fan Offline

I agree. My personal opinion is, life is already stressful enough, why do we spend more energy on stuff like this?

I came from a country where the government acknowledges all religions (Christian, moslem, Budhism, etc). During Ramadhan, we (my family is Christian) send them gifts and wish them "Happy Ramadan", and during Christmas, they came to us with home made cakes and in turn wishes us "Merry Christmas".

I do think sometimes the political correctness is taken a bit further than necessary sometimes, just for the sake of being PC.

Off my soap box now.

#81956 - 12/05/05 06:13 AM Re: Bah, humbug!!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
But are you not just more than a little aggravated by this abandoning of the word 'Christmas' to be replaced by the all-purpose, politically correct, term 'Holiday'? Mustn't offend anyone must we?

I played a gig recently and commented to the activities director, nice Christmas Party!
She about took my head off and corrected me, no no it's a Holiday Party. Politcal correctness has been taken too far!

#81957 - 12/05/05 06:33 AM Re: Bah, humbug!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
All this furor just makes me emphasize the word 'Christmas' more !!! ... The holiday celebrates the birth of Christ ... regardless of your beliefs, historians acknowledge that He did live, and this holiday celebrates that fact ... What also gets me is the fact that "Christmas Day" is written in the statutes as a Federal holiday, so what is the problem with proclaiming it ??? Let all those who choose not to acknowledge it as 'Christmas' go to work on Dec 25 !!! ... and speaking of 'holiday', what's going to happen when some zealot realizes that the word 'holiday' actually translates to 'holy day' !?!?! ...

No "Bah, Humbug" for me ... "MERRY CHRISTMAS" ....
t.

#81958 - 12/05/05 06:35 AM Re: Bah, humbug!!
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
[QUOTE]I played a gig recently and commented to the activities director, nice Christmas Party!
She about took my head off and corrected me, no no it's a Holiday Party. Politcal correctness has been taken too far!

Steve ... Did you play "White Holiday", and "We Wish You a Merry Holiday" and "It's beginning To Look A Lot Like Holiday" ???
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-05-2005).]

#81959 - 12/05/05 07:12 AM Re: Bah, humbug!!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Steve ... Did you play "White Holiday", and "We Wish You a Merry Holiday" and "It's beginning To Look A Lot Like Holiday" ???
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 12-05-2005).]

Tony, very well said. You make some great points!! I'm with you all the way MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

#81960 - 12/05/05 03:45 PM Re: Bah, humbug!!
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tony mads usa:
[B] Steve ... Did you play "White Holiday", and "We Wish You a Merry Holiday" and "It's beginning To Look A Lot Like Holiday" ???
t. [QUOTE]

I'm thinking now that any manufacturer whose ad. I see or read substitutes the word 'holiday' for 'Christmas' is not going to get any business from me.

#81961 - 12/06/05 12:26 PM Re: Bah, humbug!!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Anyone see Saturday Night Live last week?

The players sang "politically correct" Christmas carols...hilarious...pointed out the stupidity of it all!

Ho, Ho, Ho!

Russ

#81962 - 12/06/05 01:10 PM Re: Bah, humbug!!
ccdmax Offline

Loc: South Jersey
OK, I normally don't get involved in to things like this, but... it pisses me the heck off, all of this political correctnes crap. First of all, it ain't all of the immigrants that are responsible for this, they can't tell a diference from s*** and crap. It's the damn lawyers. They tell and advertise everywhere about suing right and suing left. The're the ones that deserve to be send to Iraq as a replacement relief for our boys and girls.
If we as a nation will not do anything about it... I can guarantee you that in 20-50 years, our kids will have to read koran or whatever bibles they read. And no... I'm not bashing anyone nor am I a racist in any way. It's just a little strange that if we as americans will go and visit any foreign country, have to obey by it's laws. Yet if they visit us we're not only changing our laws for them but also rewrite our forefathers traditions and history.
When will this end???... I don't think it ever will, it will get worse and worse, to a point when our own religions will be target it, because some a**hole will drive to work everyday by my church and it suddenly will become offensive to him that it stands there. He will cry out bloddy murder and claim he can not find his peace with his Allah, so he will hire a lawyer... and guess what... everyone will appologize and make christianity illegal.

I'm sorry and appologize if I offend it anyone, but I had to vent... I can not longer keep it inside me and pretend I'm smiling when my 10 year old daughter came from school and said that we can not call it christmas anymore... it's a holiday...

cheers,

ccdmax

------------------
Korg PA1X Pro, Karma, X5D, Yamaha PSR9000, PSR730

#81963 - 12/06/05 01:37 PM Re: Bah, humbug!!
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
There is hope. I play a 3 hour Open House tomorrow at Franklin Woods Center, a nursing facility. It's not only billed as a Christmas party, but the administrator, who is a deacon in his church, ran off lyrics to Christmas songs a couple of years ago, 31 songs in all. And he asks me to play and lead singing for all of them and included are the religious carols. I think it's great and since he's the boss, I do it. It's one of my best accounts and it's the best run of all the facilities I play in, and there are many of those.

Merry Christmas,

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online