SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81594 - 08/22/06 08:53 PM Gotta New Toy
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia

I'm havin' fun...and that's what counts.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 08-22-2006).]

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 09-25-2007).]

#81595 - 08/22/06 09:28 PM Re: Gotta New Toy
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
That's really sweet shboom !!! I've been thinking hard about getting a stand alone recorder myself. I like the fact that you can record without a computer. It makes things a lot simpler when you are recording away from home. Though it is nice to be able to connect it to a PC for editing etc when you need to.

How is the menu interface on the Korg? Is it easy to get around and does that have a CD writer onboard as well?

#81596 - 08/22/06 10:33 PM Re: Gotta New Toy
shboom Offline

Here are some additional shots of the unit and some of the screen shots. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/product/images/page=1/base_pid=242061
Thanx Nigel...Yes she's a sweet ride.
I initially had some difficulty getting my head around the "Session Drums" until I got it through my thick skull that they're basically a "metronome". A few users, like myself, were initially under the impression that they were a drum machine of sorts, but that's not the case.
However, I'm using my T3 or my R8 for percussion anyways so it's not really an issue.
Yes, there's an on-board burner, very easy to get around.
The view-screen is small, but all in all, I'm pleased with my purchase.
Full on-board effects, pre & post. Full mastering capabilities....depending of course on my abilities.
I'm currently in the throws of recording a great young singer, she's done 4 or 5 gigs with us, so when I'm done, I'll post an mp3 on my site for you to hear what I've managed to put together with this unit.
I'd be interested in hearing from any other recent D3200 buyers out there and how they're making out.
I'll keep ya posted.
Here's an additional link with some specs:
http://messe.harmony-central.com/Musikmesse05/Content/Korg/PR/D3200-rec.html

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 08-22-2006).]

#81597 - 08/22/06 11:09 PM Re: Gotta New Toy
Nigel Offline
Admin

Yeah I'll be real interested in hearing an MP3 from the sessions when you have one mixed down. It really sounds like a great unit. And it is cool that it can record so many track simultaneously. So many multitrack recorders can't which makes them unsuitable for recording live bands.

So the Session Drums don't allow you to chain patterns together to make a complete drum track for a song? Not that having drums built in matters at all.

#81598 - 08/23/06 03:43 AM Re: Gotta New Toy
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Very Sweet, shboom.

I haven't looked at the specs as yet, but is this hard disk or Flash based recording? Also, how many concurrent tracks does it record?

This is also on my list of Toy's I must have.

Have fun with it and we want to hear some projects with it soon!!

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#81599 - 08/23/06 05:44 AM Re: Gotta New Toy
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have a Fostex MR8HD digital recorder for sale.
It will record 4 tracks simultanously.
Like new. $300. shipped. http://www.zzounds.com/item--FOSMR8HD
DonM

#81600 - 08/23/06 01:34 PM Re: Gotta New Toy
shboom Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:

So the Session Drums don't allow you to chain patterns together to make a complete drum track for a song?

No Nigel, you can chain patterns together, complete with fills & endings (all pre-sets), they're just not edittable in the full sense. You can increase or decrease the levels of individual drums, and enhance or curtail their presence, you just can't create your own. For general run of the mill projects, they'll probably do very nicely for an actual drum / cymbal sound as opposed to the usual "click...click". Many users swear by them, but personally, I prefer to build from scratch.

kbrkr..Projects are saved to the hard drive, which in turn can be dumped to your pc for storage and/or retrieval.
I've got 3 projects on the go right now, and I've barely put a dent in the hard drive capacity.
You need to create a master track before burning, this can be by-passed (creating a master) by mixing down to an off-board unit, ie: stand alone burner. As for cakewalk, pro-tools etc., I don't use them, so I can't comment.
Move this unit to the top of your "wish list" Al. .....Merry Christmas

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 08-23-2006).]

#81601 - 09/04/07 06:39 PM Re: Gotta New Toy
Nigel Offline
Admin

How is that D3200 working out now you've been using it for a year now. I've been looking at digital recorders and the D3200 is still looking like the best value. I was thinking about the Tascam 2488 MKII but it's lack of mixer automation is putting me off it now.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 09-11-2007).]

#81602 - 09/20/07 09:52 AM Re: Gotta New Toy
shboom Offline

Nigel.....
Long time no see. I've been fairly busy in one form or another.
As for how the D3200 is working out. Just Great. She's a sweet ride, extremely friendly. I've been busy re-building my home studio and gaining as much insight into the D3200 as I could.
Here's a quick wmv of what I've done...
http://members.shaw.ca/shboommusic/NewLayout01.wmv

I also picked up this little beauty:

#81603 - 09/24/07 11:35 PM Re: Gotta New Toy
Nigel Offline
Admin

Your studio space looks like great place to record music. What sort of electronic drum kit is that?

I've pretty much decided to get the D3200 now. It really does seem to have the best feature set for the price. Are the mic preamps pretty good as well?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online