SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#81479 - 03/01/05 02:04 PM Computer Problem: Should I try to fix it or not?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Guys-

I have a Compaq Presario S6300NX, a Envision 17" Monitor...

Yesterday morning, I sat down to do some work, and everything was blurry. I tried rebooting, letting it sit off for an hour, etc...nothing helped...

I switched CPU's and found the picture to be much better.

When I tried to switch monitors...my old one (I mean OLD) wouldn't display anything.

The oomputer repair business I spoke to on the phone said they'd have to check everything to be certain, but that they guessed its probably the video card.

They quoted me a price of $65 - $95 for a new video card, plus a labor rate of $44.95 per half hour. They also said barring any other issues, its usually an hour type job.

A friend of mine says that's nuts...that replacing a video card is like replacing a windshield wiper, lol..

Any advice, suggestions, alternate problems, etc. would be appreciated greatly...

Bill in Dayton

PS: MY most recent messages have been posted using my hamster powered computer...

#81480 - 03/01/05 02:42 PM Re: Computer Problem: Should I try to fix it or not?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I wonder how they want to replace the videocard??
The S6300NX has an integrated videocard on the motherboard.

In case there's an agp slot there should be an option in the bios to disable the onboard graphic controller though.
If that's the case, You can do the job yourselve easily in that case.

Fred

#81481 - 03/01/05 04:19 PM Re: Computer Problem: Should I try to fix it or not?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
1.) Install a video card (maybe one of your friend's card or a new one), then disable the on board graphic adapter in the BIOS! At last install the required video driver!
2.) If the problem still exists then the video card is probably not the problem.
3.) If not then buy a video card (if not already done) and repeat the procedure from the start (1.)!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online