SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#81450 - 08/18/05 08:09 PM Wiring Wall plates
Pennywizz6 Offline

Loc: Shakopee, MN, USA
Finially my studio has jumped on the freeway, after a too long hiatis of being sheetrocked it is now painted. A Long while back Gary made me some wallplates to be used in my studio and they are currently being installed. However im confused on how to get it wired. There are two side things. I saudered on both red and white on them (one color per thing). Then there is a big hook shaped thing in the middle, which im sure is ground, I dont know how ground is saudered on. Im sure im confusing and just rambling but if anybody gets this or has a diagram please help me out.

BTW its for a 1/4 plug. Heres a crappy image to try and exsplain better http://www.schnickelfritzmusic.com/wiring.JPG

Thanks!!

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 08-18-2005).]

#81451 - 08/19/05 03:30 AM Re: Wiring Wall plates
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
It looks like a XLR connector. In this case you'll have to connect it the following way:

PIN #1 -> Ground
PIN #2 -> + Signal
PIN #3 -> - Signal

This diagramm is standing in my mixer's manual. Happy working!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#81452 - 08/19/05 05:58 AM Re: Wiring Wall plates
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Phil,

Do not solder anything to the hook-looking device in the middle--that is part of the assembly where the tip of the 1/4-inch plug connects when plugged.

The two tabs to the sides with holes in them are where the wires are soldered. Only one wire is hot, while the other is ground. These are referred to as TS (tip/sleeve) type connectors.

If you are using two conductor, sheilded cable running from the equipment to the system, one red wire, one black wire and one bare sheild wire, twist the black and bare wires together and connect them to the solder connection that goes to the jack's SLEEVE. The red wire should be soldered to the jack's TIP connection.

If you do not have one, I suggest heading to the nearest Radio Shack and purchasing an inexpensive multi-meter for testing the circuitry. This can save you a lot of time and greif when undertaking projects of this type.

If I lived closer I would come over and wire the system up for you myself, but for now this is the best I can offer.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#81453 - 08/19/05 08:21 AM Re: Wiring Wall plates
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thanks Gary,

Its making more sense, and im glad I asked for some help! I have a 3 wire cable, red, white (same thing as black i take it) and a bare wire. I want to twist the white and the bare wire together and solder to the sleeve tab, which i think is the clostest tab to the front of the unit, and the remaining red wire is soldered to the other while the hook is left alone.

Also, thanks sheriff, however im not on my XLR plugs yet, your info will come in handy.

Thanks,

Phil

[This message has been edited by Pennywizz6 (edited 08-19-2005).]

#81454 - 08/19/05 10:23 AM Re: Wiring Wall plates
Pennywizz6 Offline

I did the connection and it works, however there is a fuzz that is really bad when I connect a guiatr and amp to the connection compared to a direct amp to guitar connection so I know its in the wiring I dont know how/where to start on fixing the problem. Is there anything that i might have done wrong to cause this?

Thanks,

Phil

#81455 - 08/19/05 04:27 PM Re: Wiring Wall plates
travlin'easy Offline

Phil,

Try reversing the connections. You may have soldered the sheild to the wrong tab, and this would cause that type of problem.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#81456 - 08/19/05 05:00 PM Re: Wiring Wall plates
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thanks Gary I will try that. So i will change the white and bare shield to the other tab and switch the red one too? If it fixes the noise i will be so happy because right now its intolerable even for guitar distortion.

Thanks,

Phil

#81457 - 08/19/05 07:44 PM Re: Wiring Wall plates
travlin'easy Offline

That bare sheild wire should always connect to the sleve of the jack. That is what prevents outside interference signals from leaking into the system. If you look carefully at the jack, you will see which one connects to the sleeve and which connects to the tip.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#81458 - 08/19/05 07:57 PM Re: Wiring Wall plates
Pennywizz6 Offline

Thanks Gary,

Im a ltitle confused, there are 2 tabs, both at different levels seperated by a spacer. I have the white and bare copper soldered onto one tab (it looks like it connects to the sleeve. Then I have the red cable soldered onto the other tab. I think im missing something. Ill draw a pic quick and re-post.

Thanks.

Phil

#81459 - 08/19/05 08:07 PM Re: Wiring Wall plates
Pennywizz6 Offline

Heres the image, yet again another Paint masterpiece haha http://www.schnickelfritzmusic.com/wiring.JPG

Let me know if ya dont get it.

thanks,

Phil

#81460 - 08/20/05 06:49 AM Re: Wiring Wall plates
travlin'easy Offline

Phil,

You do not need the black wire and the bare sheild wire connected to the same terminal. The sheild wire is all that should be connected to the sleeve terminal. The red wire should be the only one connected to the tip terminal.

It's difficult for me to tell which terminal is connected to the tip from your drawing. That's why I suggested buying an inexpensive multi-meter from Radio Shack. This will make the wiring job much easier for you, and additionally, when you and if you encounter equipment problems in the future, you can easily trouble-shoot and isolate the problem.

Here's the connections as I recall them from memory. unfortunately, I do not have a jack in front of me

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#81461 - 08/20/05 08:09 AM Re: Wiring Wall plates
Pennywizz6 Offline

Ahhhhh, thanks Gary!

Im pretty sure ya nailed my problem, Ive been using all thre wires. Bar and white to the sleeve and red to the tip. Ill try that latwer today and report my results!

Thanks!

Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online