SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#81175 - 06/06/05 05:23 AM Re: and you think chinese is hard
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Benjamin Franklin looks different on the note verified with the painted picture. The oil picture flatters him more...

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
I happened to think of a question on High German (Hoch Deutsch) and Low German (Platt Deutsch) ... So, Sheriff, what's the real deal on this one??

Hmm, I haven't studied this point but as far as I know the High German was defined by Konrad Duden, the writer of the first German word book. I think he lived in the region around Hannover and so he declared Hannoveranisch as High German.

I don't know a term like Low German (Nieder-Deutsch) but there are many dialects like Bayrisch, Friesisch, Hessisch, Plattdütsch (Plattdeutsch), Rheinisch (Rheinländisch), Sächsisch, and some more...

And the rich people don't really speak better than the poor ones, even if they believe so...

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 06-06-2005).]

#81176 - 06/06/05 06:52 AM Re: and you think chinese is hard
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I have read somewhere in the news, that voice recognition programs have a very bad record understanding people from Scotland.

#81177 - 06/06/05 08:22 PM Re: and you think chinese is hard
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hey Sheriff

I know some things don't translate well. But here Plattdeutsch is translated as Low German.

I find it interesting that with all the German dialects that it is not uncommon for Germans from different parts of Germany to not be able to understand the other regional dialects. Is that true?

#81178 - 06/07/05 04:44 AM Re: and you think chinese is hard
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
I think that's only a question of the amount of alcohol in your blood...*LOL*
No, really, if I would go some kilometers away from Frankfurt I would have many problems to understand the Germans there. But it's only a question of time of living there and then I could understand them - even a Bavarian because it's nevertheless all German (sometimes it's really crazy).
It's even possible for a German to understand Dutch on this way - yes, and even English was easy to learn for me in School. All languages in Europe are related to another so IMHO it's no problem to mix it all with each other.
Look at the history, where all the folks are gone...the invasion of the barbarians...hehehe

I can't believe that this is still over...

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 06-07-2005).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online