SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#81126 - 02/01/06 07:42 PM iPod people out there?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hi gang,
My daughter got an iPod for Christmas this year, and I loaded the software into my work laptop. Works great.
Can I also load that same software into my home desktop and expect everything to work as normal? Are there serial number tricks etc that might make tunes not play if they are bought ( legit ) on iTunes on the desktop, instead of the laptop?
Thanx, in advance.

#81127 - 02/02/06 01:18 AM Re: iPod people out there?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
No you won't have a problem installing iTunes on another computer. I can't recall there being any problem with serial numbers with iTunes and you can even freely download the latest versions from http://www.itunes.com

The iPod is just great. I bought my wife an iPod Photo with a 40GB drive a year back and she has loaded probably 75% of our music collection onto it. I also got her the FM transmitter that plugs onto the top of it and now whenever we go out in the car we just take the iPod and tune the car radio into it. Plus recently I was in a hotel before a job on New Years Eve and wanted to run over a new song we were playing. I turned on the iPod and tuned the clock radio into it so I could play along with the song I'd put onto my wife's iPod.

They really are a wonderful thing.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 02-02-2006).]

#81128 - 02/02/06 03:28 AM Re: iPod people out there?
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi UD (nice to see you back)

You can put the software on as many pc's as you like. There is a limitation on tracks that you buy from i-tunes though.

If I remember correctly if you purchase a track (or an album) from i-tunes store then you can authorise the track to be played on up to five different computers.....so if your daughter buys say a Madonna track and you quite like it you can play it quite legit on your pc's as long as there are no more than five pc's authorised at any one time. You can 'de-authorise' tracks from a particular pc too if you need to play it on another, different pc and you were up to your limit of five! ..... hope that makes sense

I don't think there are any limits imposed on tracks you 'upload' yourself from your own music collection.

I don't own an i-pod myself (Nigel does) and when he got his I was so impressed with i-tunes that I downloaded it. I buy loads of tracks (it is really cool I think that you don't need to buy the whole album) and often burn them onto cd to play in the car.

He wants the new i-pod video so I am encouraging him (as I will get his i-pod photo ) How cheap am I?

Best wishes
Tony

#81129 - 02/02/06 05:02 AM Re: iPod people out there?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Thanx guys ! That's kinda what I expected to hear, but wanted to be sure.
I use the Creatize Zen Micro for myself, because I like the radio option. I go to a gym these days, and the TVs are tuned to radio frequencies, so I can catch up on sports, news, whatever while I run ( nowhere ) on the treadmill.
Again ... thanx !

#81130 - 02/02/06 05:44 AM Re: iPod people out there?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
.... whatever while I run ( nowhere ) on the treadmill.
Again ... thanx !

... NOT TRUE ... you are running to a healthier YOU !!!
t.

PS ... welcome back ...
t.

#81131 - 02/02/06 06:45 AM Re: iPod people out there?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm a HUGE iPod owner fanatic, and take mine (60GB: Black 5g w/ video) EVERYWHERE I go.

When I received a video enabled iPod for Christmas (I've got the 4G Photo iPod as well) I thought what would I want video on a small screen for. But my attitude quickly changed. The small screen is actually very watchable. Though small, the image is sharp & colors bright & clear. I've now become a real PodCast fanatatic, and with Video-Podcasts, it makes the experience that much better. Makes those long plane trips & waiting at the dental office, go by sooooo quickly.

Not only is having one's entire library of music (my entire CD collection + much more) at the touch of the clickwheel awesome, but the custom playlist feature is handy for gig break music, or providing vocal backing tracks if ever my keyboard be out of commision. In addition, I've got all my music performance videos stored on my iPod too, allowing potential clients, to not only hear my music, but 'see' how I perform as well. This (on the fly) ability to show potential clients a video clip of me performing has proved to be a winning gig booking deal maker 4 me on more than one occasion.

In addition, my iPod acts as a backup hard drive for all my arranger keyboard files (styles, regs). Both iPods's operation convenience and immense market/user support make it aa clear winner in my book.

My favorite iPod Website is: http://forums.ipodlounge.com/

Ok nough said. iPod Rules!

Scott

#81132 - 02/02/06 07:26 AM Re: iPod people out there?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
As far as I know, there is no ipod model with a built in FM tuner which you can directly record from, right? However, is there a small add-on which would provide for that?

The FM tuner seems like a cool add-on.

Glenn

#81133 - 02/02/06 08:24 AM Re: iPod people out there?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online