Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8099 - 01/19/07 09:57 AM Call for advices : buying a Sound module
udutronik Offline

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a sound module to complete my gear and, since
i've not been following last years developments, i'm a little
confused in what i should buy.

I already have a keyboard that handles basic sounds (pianos, organs, strings, etc.) so
i'm more looking to the analog emulation types (to get leads, pads and basses). i am
especially looking for sounds that would fit in a progressive rock contexte. I like
the idea of desktop modules, with knobs for real-time editing, but could also use
a midi controller...

I've been searching internet and music stores and, so far here are the module that
seem to fit my needs :

* Nord lead
* Access music: Virus A,B,C, Rack
* Korg Radias

What do you think about these options? Some of them are quite expansive, are
there any older modules i can get used that would fit my needs?

Thanks a lot!

#8100 - 01/19/07 12:24 PM Re: Call for advices : buying a Sound module
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi!
All of the ones you've mentioned are quite good and more than good enough for the task. However, don't forget Novation as they've made some very nice VA synths as well. I've used Novation nova module (table top version of Novation Supernova I) and with OS 4.1 installed it's a very cool sounding instrument. Comparing to the Viruses for example it has very little aliasing in the upper range (or less of it anyway) and gives you FX for each of its 6 multitimbral parts. Also has true 24 notes polyphony.

The Viruses on the other hand can sound a wee bit warmer (or phatter as some like to say it) and have some extras (like the 64 spectral wavetables).

I'd almost mention Waldorf as well but the only two I'd suggest are the Q and MQ synths. Q series are up in price again (due to Waldorf making a comeback) and the MQ series don't really give you much of a front panel access...
Definitely not as nice as the front panel interfaces of say Q or MWXT.

But I suggest you check out as many VA synths as you can before you make up your mind. Opinions in forums is one thing. Real hands-on experience is another.
cheers,

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 01-19-2007).]

#8101 - 01/19/07 07:00 PM Re: Call for advices : buying a Sound module
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
if you're a progger, find a korg EX-8000, or DW-8000. they are super ultra rediculous cheap and have real filters, pitch stability and plenty of expression so you can wank to your heart's content! It has last-note priority(which lets you do some keith emerson/van halen-fast riffs in unison mode and a syncable arppegiator.

They are extremely reliable.

#8102 - 01/21/07 06:33 AM Re: Call for advices : buying a Sound module
udutronik Offline

Thanks for your advices!

As far as price$ are concerned, i've restrained my list to Nord lead 2 or virus classic...

BUT, I will certainly take a look at the novations, and EX-8000 i've never heard either of them...

Korg DW-8000? I've owned a DW-6000, but wasnt really into programming at this time, i basically gave this keyboard... Maybe i should have kept it!

THanks for all suggestions, they are really helpful... Bottomline, 3351 is right, try them is the best way to choose

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online