SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#80570 - 04/19/05 09:32 AM Re: New around here and need a bit of advice.
smoke-on-the-water Offline

Cool!
I guess it's the same as with keyboards then. I always visualize the picture of a keyboard in my mind when I'm playing one. I'm actually quite a fast player when it comes down to playing keys. So I was most likely disapointed by the fact that I couldn't do as well with guitars.

Say, is playing an acoustic (not the classical acoustic) before playing an electric a good idea? i know that some of my friends use their acoustics to do the warmup exercises just to make their fingers work extra hard.
I just find that an acoustic is a little to stiff and I can't bend the strings as well.

Jim.

[This message has been edited by smoke-on-the-water (edited 04-19-2005).]

Jim.

#80571 - 04/19/05 01:30 PM Re: New around here and need a bit of advice.
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by smoke-on-the-water:
Say, is playing an acoustic (not the classical acoustic) before playing an electric a good idea? i know that some of my friends use their acoustics to do the warmup exercises just to make their fingers work extra hard.

I played 5 years an accoustic western guitar before I changed to an electic guitar. The effect was that I could play longer than the other guitar players I've played together with because the skin on my fingers were harder than their's and I had have much more power in my fingers than them (a little bit like a vice ).

Today I don't need playing an acc. guitar directly before I'm playing an elec. once because my fingers know the little differences now. It's also a good idea to play a western guitar to start up for a classic guitar with nylon strings. However, every change between two guitars will cause you to work out the feeling for the other guitar.

Quote:
I just find that an acoustic is a little to stiff and I can't bend the strings as well.

You can try to use an accoustic jazz guitar with the f-holes in its body. The fretboard of those guitars are similar to the elec. guitar's fretboard. Maybe this gives you a softer start into the accoustic world...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 04-19-2005).]

#80572 - 04/20/05 05:07 AM Re: New around here and need a bit of advice.
smoke-on-the-water Offline

Thanks,
F-holes?
You mean kind of like on those semi-acoustic guitars?
Cool, how much are they usually?

Jim.

Jim.

#80573 - 04/20/05 06:39 AM Re: New around here and need a bit of advice.
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Yes, the f-holes are similar to an half-accoustic guitar. The price should be the same as you have to pay for a western guitar. I guess a new one will cost you from about 200 to 400 bucks if you want to buy a midclass guitar.

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#80574 - 04/20/05 09:44 AM Re: New around here and need a bit of advice.
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
What string guage are you using? Obviously, the lighter the quicker.Also, play around with string height adjustment..that can make a big difference. Neck width varies considerably, and can affect speed.

Also, I have lots of guitars, and each one has it's own "personality". For instance, I have 2 335's. One plays like a dream and the other is just stiffer-harder-slower. They have the same brand and guage of strings.

Go figure...

Russ

#80575 - 04/20/05 12:39 PM Re: New around here and need a bit of advice.
captain Russ Offline

Jim...what guitar are you playing? I have hundreds of guitards and have been playing nearly 50 years, but I still use a top rate guitar tech to set intonation, adjust necks, set action, position pick-up poles, etc. It's well worth the investment. Most top pros (I'm certainly NOT one) use a tech. Many touring acts take one on the road with them.

Try it....you'll LIKE IT!

Russ

#80576 - 04/21/05 01:00 AM Re: New around here and need a bit of advice.
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by shboom:
Practice...practice...practice
The "lightning fingers" thing is interesting and cool but, it's not the only way to play.

I couldn't agree more. It is what you play not how much you play. And the more comfortable you become soloing the more competent you will become.

smoke-on-the-water, if you can play as well as Mark Knopler then that would be very commendable because that guy can really play guitar. I've watched him from side of stage playing live some years ago and he is a real competent guitarist and a true musician.

Some other favorite rock guitar players to listen to are Jeff Beck, Frank Zappa, Steve Howe, Dave Gilmore and Joe Satriani ... oh you always have to include Jimi Hendrix.

If jazz is more your thing then you must listen to Django Reinhardt, George Benson, Larry Carlton, Russ Freeman, Lee Ritenour and Al DiMeola.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 04-21-2005).]

#80577 - 04/21/05 09:21 PM Re: New around here and need a bit of advice.
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:

While heavy gauge bronze strings provide maximum acoustic tone and volume they are not the only strings you can use on an acoustic guitar. I like to use a lighter gauge acoustic string set so I can play acoustic blues and bend strings easier. Play using whatever you find comfortable. There are no rules when it comes to the strings you choose to play on.

#80578 - 04/23/05 06:32 PM Re: New around here and need a bit of advice.
captain Russ Offline

Nigel...those are all players in my alltime top 10 favorites. You really know your players.

Russ

#80579 - 04/23/05 07:43 PM Re: New around here and need a bit of advice.
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Hey Guys,
Let me share this with you.
Many of you have never heard Nigel play guitar, but I have had the pleasure of jamming with him when we had the West Coast Jam here at my place. This guy is some kind of good. Give him a turn around and just hang on cause he is moving. He is a guitar players guitar player. I mean as in GOOD
I also discovered he does a pretty good job on keyboards too.
These are just his hobbies. You ought to know what he does for a living. I will leave that to him to share with you
Best to all
Bebop

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online