SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#8008 - 09/27/03 11:47 AM Re: The Commodore 64 appreciation thread.
Xenox.AFL Offline

Loc: Salzgitter, Germany
Ahhh, I love the c64 and still take a look very often to the great musix, I like that beep and burp and ofcourse, the great sounds and melodys, great stuff!

by the way, on http://mp3.de/loasd I tried last time to made a tune like in the old days, if someone wanna take a look check the link above .... Have phun!

Frank

-----
Check out my Yamaha Cs6x/Cs6R/S80 and S30
"Trance&Atmos" Soundset at http://www.easysounds.de
-----

[This message has been edited by Xenox.AFL (edited 09-27-2003).]
or http://www1.keyboards.de/news/03/09/18/1641.html smile
----------

#8009 - 09/28/03 02:28 AM Re: The Commodore 64 appreciation thread.
theledzepp Offline

Loc: Oregon
Damn, I'm only 19 and I can sympathize--our first computer was an Amiga 2000. The games on it ROCKED, but the documentation usually sucked (as in nonexistent) so it was almost an adventure unto itself figuring how to play the games.

I remember some very basic midi apps installed on the OS, but then I was young(er) and didn't know computers were for much else than word processing and entertainment, even novelty still at that time.

Ethan

#8010 - 09/30/03 05:06 PM Re: The Commodore 64 appreciation thread.
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
UPDATE-

I found a site with a C64 emulator and LOADS of games (I'll dig out the link if anyone wants it).

I never realised that Way of the Exploding Fist II was the same game as Fist II!

I used to play that game non stop and I've been playing it once again over the past few weeks. I still can't work out what the point of the scrolls is and what's meant to happen once you get all the scrolls- if you could point me in the right direction, Nigel, it would be very cool.

#8011 - 10/04/03 03:34 AM Re: The Commodore 64 appreciation thread.
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Equalizer:
UPDATE-

I found a site with a C64 emulator and LOADS of games (I'll dig out the link if anyone wants it).

I never realised that Way of the Exploding Fist II was the same game as Fist II!

I used to play that game non stop and I've been playing it once again over the past few weeks. I still can't work out what the point of the scrolls is and what's meant to happen once you get all the scrolls- if you could point me in the right direction, Nigel, it would be very cool.

Gee that is stretching my memory a bit back to 1986. I think that the scrolls you get from the temples gave you certain powers such as the ability to breathe in the caves that were filled with that green gas. So it would make it easier to proceed to the top of the volcano. I can't remember what the rest of the scrolls did. I don't recall that they were absolutely necessary to get through but they made it much more likely. I made that volcano level map myself and then did the programming to draw it in the game. At one point I printed out all the screens at work and laid out the whole volcano on the floor at the Melbourne House office, just to make sure it was all OK. It is amazing how much we were able to pack into a slow 64K computer back in those days. You have to be careful of the holes in the cave floors. Near the top of the volcano there is a hole that lines up with with holes on all the levels below and drops you through to the bottom of the volcano where you must start the climb again. Very annoying, but I put that in thinking it was cool at the time. So be careful when you jump over them. If you are playing this on a C64 emulator I'd suggest using a gamepad as the PC keyboard would be too awkward for most games. But you know that probably if you originally played it with a joystick on the C64.

Now the most disappointing thing about the game is that we were so tight on memory so the end sequence when you finish the game is very lame because we just had not enough space for the extra code or/and graphics.

#8012 - 10/09/03 05:34 PM Re: The Commodore 64 appreciation thread.
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
Does anyone remember Flimbo's Quest? Was my favourite. I think I finished the game over three times (each time you finished it would start again I think faster/harder?) Then there was Renegade (fighter with those moving eyes at the bottom). I had the Simpsons but was conivinced it was a scam because I couldn't get past level 1 even though I spraypainted everthing purple! Can anyone help? (alright, it's too late; I through C64 out five years ago)

I also used to spend hours reading the included manual, trying to do programming of graphics - I loved it! I think it was meant to have the best sound system at the time or something, but I never really used any sequencing programs on it.

Memories...

#8013 - 10/09/03 06:05 PM Re: The Commodore 64 appreciation thread.
tekminus Offline

Nigel, what was the end sequence? The guy took a bow? "Well done! GAME OVER"

-tek

#8014 - 10/14/03 11:45 PM Re: The Commodore 64 appreciation thread.
Nigel Offline
Admin

It was just a Game Over message with a simple picture of the volcano spouting smoke in the background. That's how it had to be, there was no more memory left in that 64KB after packing the whole game, player sprites and all the screen data into that tiny memory. And back then many C64 owners were using slow datasettes to load games so loading more data wasn't really even an option.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-14-2003).]

#8015 - 10/16/03 12:05 AM Re: The Commodore 64 appreciation thread.
Nigel Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSonicEnergyAuthority:
Hi Nigel,
I was using Dr.T’s Keyboard Controlled Sequencer along with X-oR for patch editing. Great package as both programs ran together. Sure it was available for the Atari ST as well.

I remember reading about Dr.T's software products but never saw KCS to evaluate it. Maybe that may have changed my view of sequencing apps on the Amiga. Sequencing using Digital Studio on the C64 was so easy to put tracks together so I was shocked to see an awkward package like Music X on a computer like the Amiga that had so much promise. Maybe if the Amiga had come with inbuilt MIDI ports like the Atari ST then history may be different if the Amiga had become the leading music computer.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online