Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#80059 - 05/25/05 11:16 PM Re: Song Demo
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Yo....StPatrick...
Here's another one to share with you...
http://members.shaw.ca/shboom Select demo4....Hope you like it as much as I enjoyed yours.

------------------
...shboom

#80060 - 05/25/05 11:54 PM Re: Song Demo
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
StPatrick, very nice pro sounding vocal rendition of the 1987 Keith Whitley hit: "Don't Close Your Eyes". When you get your new SD1+, I suggest, to set your arrangement apart from the others & making it more uniquely your own, instead of using a commerical cover SMF midi file backing track, try playing the kb in auto-accomp mode, selecting an SD1 'style' pattern with a similar (but different) style than the cover arrangement, or perhaps (even better?) a dramatically different style than the stereo-typical SMF backing track arrangement. I think you have a terrific voice but ready to develop your own unique sound, and of which I think the SD1+ will help you discover. I'm really looking forward to hearing more music from you. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 05-26-2005).]

#80061 - 05/26/05 08:21 AM Re: Song Demo
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by shboom:
...Here's another one to share with you...

Hey, Shboom, let it touch our souls! Great song (Philadelphia by Leon Bateman), greater voice. I think we have MINIMUM two really good singers here...

Wow, a Zoner's jam session would be THE hit!!!

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-26-2005).]

#80062 - 05/26/05 01:30 PM Re: Song Demo
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
shboom, that song is awesome. i love the lyrics and the music. its a really neat song. although its great as-is, i tried to listen with a critics ear to see if anything could make it even better. all i came up with is it would be neat to hear some cymbals and maybe a tamborine or something to give it some crisp high end sizzle. also, due to the haunting and mysterious nature of the song (which i LOVE) i would consider using the chorus ohh effect to make it sound like an army of angels singing ohh ohh once in a while in the background. last i would consider more reverb on the vocal, since it is a haunting type song. ok, i came up with a weird one, what if it started with a thunderstorm sound effect or a torrential downpour that faded as the opening music switched from solely percussion to fuller music.
Again, I like it as is, I just wanted to offer some suggestions as to what I might try if I were mixing it.
But I like it as is and I'm going to listen to it again because I want to hear it again, lol.
Awesome work..

#80063 - 05/26/05 01:46 PM Re: Song Demo
StPatrick Offline

Scottyee, thanks for the advice. I will experiment with applying a style to the midi and doing what you said.. playing the chords and melody accompanied by an SD1 style. Note that I am a novice chord piano player and plan B will take some time, lol.
I can't wait to have the SD1 so I can experiment along these lines. Even though a computer is making the sounds in an arranger, it will be so nice for me to be able to go in whatever creative direction I want, like changing songs as you describe, longer intros, extra choruses if they're all dancing, etc. Plus so many options I haven't even discovered yet.
Synthzone is certainly helping me with the learning curve. I doubt that there is an arranger OMB within 50 miles. And I'm sure I will be the only SD1+ user anywhere near me. So this helps a lot. The Internet really tears down geographical borders.
Then my problem will be all my local competition getting one. Maybe I'll put duct tape all over the logos of the keyboard, (just kidding!)

#80064 - 05/26/05 02:00 PM Re: Song Demo
shboom Offline

StPatrick....
Glad you liked my rendition of Bruce Springsteen's "Philadelphia".
You mentioned "reverb".
If I can offer my two cents worth, I try wherever possible to avoid reverb, preferring instead to use a delay instead. For me (IMO) reverb is very easy to "over-do", so wherever possible, I avoid it completely.
On your next effort, try matching the tempo, ie:80 bpm with a matching mono delay time of 80 bpm.
Just my thots....
Thanx for your critique...much appreciated.

------------------
...shboom

#80065 - 05/26/05 03:06 PM Re: Song Demo
StPatrick Offline

shboom. i like a little reverb and delay. that's what i meant. live i use a Lexicon PCM 80 and a PCM 90. One does reverb and the other delay. (Although the Peavey effects unit I have doesn't do a bad job and it was literally 20 times cheaper! So I probably spent some stupid $$ there. But Lexicon is good stuff.)
I agree on the delay time but I'm not sure I had that opeion. I used the built in delay plug in in Protools (don't have fancy ones from Waves yet) and I think it was basically on or off and how much. But I could be wrong.
When I redo it I will definitely try to match the delay time. Thanks for the suggestion.
Still waiting for my SD1+, lol!!!
(nervously pacing, etc....)

#80066 - 05/26/05 03:13 PM Re: Song Demo
StPatrick Offline

BTW, this is very embarrassing to admit but after DJing and singing for literally 10 years 5-7 nights a week, I didn't recognize that you were covering that song. I thought it was original. (I guess I need to brush up on the Boss!) That's why I suggested those mods. Although, going with the "make it your own" approach Scottyee discussed with my song, I would still love to hear an experimental version with some of the changes I suggested. But again, it's only a suggestion from a layman at keyboards. I think I'm going to listen to it again! It's awesome.

#80067 - 05/26/05 03:29 PM Re: Song Demo
shboom Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by StPatrick:
I didn't recognize that you were covering that song. I thought it was original

...Now that...is a very nice compliment. Thank You. Just so you know...any demos you might sample on my site will be my covers / renditions or originals.
Thank you again for the kind words.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 05-26-2005).]

#80068 - 05/27/05 08:54 AM Re: Song Demo
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
StPatrick ... I did a 'GOOGLE' and got the lyrics and chords ... the chords are pretty simple ... I tried it on my technics kn6000 using a 16BeatPop style and it sounded pretty good ...
One of the great things about arrangers is puting different styles to songs ...
t.
PS I had the midi file I D/L from the net playing through the kn6, and a nephew and my sister-in-law both commented on how pretty the tune was ... They were a little surprised when I told them the lyrics ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 05-27-2005).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online