SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#80028 - 06/21/05 07:45 AM A major change...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Just prior to the anniversary of my 50th year in the business, I have decided to dramatically alter my approach to performing.

I am leaving my 4 night a week job outside on a restaurant patio after 13 seasons.

* The years in the business have resulted in major damage to the tendons in both arms and in bones and joints in both arms and hands.
Surgery could eliminate some pain, but could result in losing speed and dexterity.I've been told to stop playing upright bass and to cut back on my schedule.

* Heat, rain and equipment damage are major issues.

* This job requires the use of two complete sound systems (six cabinets), guitar, keyboard, lights, stands, etc., which have to be carried in and out and set-up every night.

* The pay is $150.00...much less than my corporate and state government jobs pay.

On week-ends, I have one hour to break down one job and set up at another across town.

I'm basically going to cut my schedule in half and do the easy inside stuff (2-3 nights a week). I've already arranged for 2 nights through the next 6 months. It will be the first time in nearly 50 years that I don't have a multiple night per week "home".

I'll really miss it, but can't risk further physical problems, which would adversely the writing, photography, music scores and film
production I do in the daytime.

This is a sad transition for me, but a necessary one.

Getting old is a BITCH!

Russ

#80029 - 06/21/05 09:06 AM Re: A major change...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Actually I think congratulations are in order!
You've reached a point where you CAN give up the tough routine you've followed for so many years. Now you'll be able to continue playing for a long time.
DonM

#80030 - 06/21/05 09:24 AM Re: A major change...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Russ,

Congrats are in order for reconciling with your self. Dont you find these difficult decisions easier to make as we get older? I think your decision is spot on and maybe should have been made a little earlier to preserve your health.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#80031 - 06/21/05 10:47 AM Re: A major change...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ.... Best of luck with your new direction ... It may take some getting used to, but I'm sure you will find it worth it ...
t.

#80032 - 06/21/05 11:28 AM Re: A major change...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Russ...Good Luck in your endeavours.
A well deserved rest.
More than likely you're gonna go through withdrawl as with any other regular routine. I'm sure you'll muscle through it just fine.
Hard to believe that your client wouldn't accomodate you as far as having to set up & tear down every night (or did I misunderstand that)?
For that kind of stress & wear and tear on your bod, $150 doesn't seem worth it.
Russ.....you're not old.........you're experienced, and you'll look back on these experiences, that other's can only envy. You can't buy that kind of expertise.
Good Luck My Friend.

------------------
...shboom

#80033 - 06/21/05 04:05 PM Re: A major change...
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Just prior to the anniversary of my 50th year in the business, I have decided to dramatically alter my approach to performing.

I am leaving my 4 night a week job outside on a restaurant patio after 13 seasons.

* The years in the business have resulted in major damage to the tendons in both arms and in bones and joints in both arms and hands.
Surgery could eliminate some pain, but could result in losing speed and dexterity.I've been told to stop playing upright bass and to cut back on my schedule.

* Heat, rain and equipment damage are major issues.

* This job requires the use of two complete sound systems (six cabinets), guitar, keyboard, lights, stands, etc., which have to be carried in and out and set-up every night.

* The pay is $150.00...much less than my corporate and state government jobs pay.

On week-ends, I have one hour to break down one job and set up at another across town.

I'm basically going to cut my schedule in half and do the easy inside stuff (2-3 nights a week). I've already arranged for 2 nights through the next 6 months. It will be the first time in nearly 50 years that I don't have a multiple night per week "home".

I'll really miss it, but can't risk further physical problems, which would adversely the writing, photography, music scores and film
production I do in the daytime.

This is a sad transition for me, but a necessary one.

Getting old is a BITCH!

Russ

RUSS....THE BITCH IS NOT GETTING OLD, It's not dealing with it and you my friend have decided to deal with it...good for you..all you are doing is concoledating your efforts into a few areas with a higher priority and for that you are to be congratulated like DonM says, now enjoy your passions and pleasures in good health with time to spare.
Tony Rome

#80034 - 06/21/05 04:17 PM Re: A major change...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I gotta' agree with the above comments. There comes a time in all our lives when we must bite the bullet and slow down a bit. My mind keeps making appointments that my body can no longer keep, and today that became quite apparent.

For the past couple weeks I have been taking sailing lessons on Chesapeake Bay. It was fondest hope to procure a 36 to 44-foot sloop, and when December's ice-cold winds hit the People's Republic of Maryland, point the boat's bow south and head for Key West. Unfortunately, my 65-year-old body can no longer do what my considerably younger mind thinks is can.

By the end of the day my hands were cramped, shoulders ached, knees hurt when stooping down, and after just 4 hours on the bay I was a whipped puppy. So, I guess the sailboat fantasy will have to be put to rest with my other fantasy. The other fantasy? I was kinda' hoping to be shot in the back of the head by a jealous husband at age 108 as I was trying to escape from a second story bedroom window with my trousers down around my ankles, and a 19-year-old girl screaming don't leave me--don't leave me!

Gettin' old ain't fer' whimps!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#80035 - 06/21/05 04:48 PM Re: A major change...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
......It was fondest hope to procure a 36 to 44-foot sloop, and when December's ice-cold winds hit the People's Republic of Maryland, point the boat's bow south and head for Key West.
Gary

Gary... the plan only has to be modified a bit ... make the boat a little larger and hire a CREW !!!!! ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 06-21-2005).]

#80036 - 06/21/05 08:46 PM Re: A major change...
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
RUSS, this is called oldtimers disease lots of us get it,cant stay 25 forever so accept what is in front of you and you know you allways will be playing music as it is in your vains,best to you and with luck you will survive, best regards ,BENNO

#80037 - 06/22/05 12:54 PM Re: A major change...
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks so much, folks. Shboom, my former employers are the greatest. In fact, I am still doing all their marketing and will play at private events at their establishments. The problem is, there is no storage place at all (both are million dollar operations in converted horsefarm residences), and the equipment cannot be left outside overnight.That's why I needed to unload and load up (five trips to the truck) every night.

As it turns out, for five years, I was leaving job # 1 and going to play upright with a long-time friend, who died last year. His bass player was an alcholic and was nearly passed out when I arrived at 11:00 P.M. I played the last two hours and let the bass player keep the money, even though I could have had the job at any time. Since Mike died, I will now play piano with the trio (and a new, hopefully sober bass player) at a local country club. It's inside, a good Yamaha grand and laid back.

This trio was the top society group in this market, and I'll try my best to keep it that way.

You're right...things usually work out for the best. I was devistated when my friend died, but maby I can keep his memory alive.

All the best,

russ

P.S. Shboom...the 12 string DANO was a GREAT
choice for the illustration on your site!
I bought one each of all the reissues and have a couple of originals and two original Silvertones. Not the best players, but nostalgic as hell. I particularly like the 6-string bass guitar, a la Rawhide, Duane Eddy
and early Motown, where upright was doubled with a Dano.

How cool!

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-22-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online