SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#79757 - 01/18/05 09:35 AM Re: I Don't Like......!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fred...took a nostalgic look at the old F hole Guild.

It is brown sunburst, with wear, but no bare wood showing. Has a Bigsby. Replaced the pickups...no cutting involved. Saved the original pick-ups. Played this guy for 30 years with no neck adjustment or fretwork necessary. Alternated with a Telecaster and wore out three or four of them.

Now, putting humbuckers in a Jazzmaster was a different story...lots of wood removed...ruined the value. Another dumb thing I did when I didn't know any better was to have an original ES 295 finished black. Oh Well..

russ

#79758 - 01/18/05 10:54 AM Re: I Don't Like......!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hello Russ,

Now you made me curious!
Serial with DE points to D-55! which is an acoustic dreadnought production started 1974!
I need a picture in this case

It's clear from your description it's not a D-55, but it is also clear that the serial number does not exist in the original guild records.
Are you sure the prefix is DE ?
I hope you can send a picture?

I do know the writer of The Guild book and he will be very interested as well about your guitar if indeed the prefix = DE!

As it's an archtop there's also a tag in de body. What does that say?

Fred

#79759 - 01/18/05 10:58 AM Re: I Don't Like......!
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Hey Nigel! I've got two of those things you don't get excited about!
But they are dead quiet with the Vetta II combo and great for recording!!
Russ, Al DiMeola is one of my definite heroes. Fantastic technique and I think his 70's and early to mid 80's compositions are his mark for history. Watched him real close up in Dallas 1989, 10 feet away on the floor! He signed his book that I brought with me. Chris Carrington, native from Dallas and Gumbi Ortiz joined him that night. Stunning!
I see he is planning som tourdates with Manuel Barreco, that should be a thrill for the lucky US guys!
Well, I'm off practicing, life's too short to be a lousy player!!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#79760 - 01/18/05 11:22 AM Re: I Don't Like......!
captain Russ Offline

Fred...the instrument sticker says Studio 403-SL hand written.

The only number I can find on it says DE-104 at the back of the headstock.

I seem to remember that the Guild salesman said something about it being a pre-production run or something like that. I bought it from Carl's Music Center in Lexington, Kentucky. Thought it was 63 or 4, but it could have been as late as 68, although I don't think so.

I'll be leaving for NAMM early tomorrow afternoon and am running to take care of last minute details, but will send you a photo after I get back.

Now you've got ME curious!

Thanks for the interest,

russ

#79761 - 01/18/05 12:25 PM Re: I Don't Like......!
freddynl Offline

Ok, Russ
It's clear what it is...
Its's a Studio 303.

I still would like the picture though as the serial is not in the published records.
Will send it to the writer of the Guild book as well if you don't mind?

As your going to the Namm, if you have a chance/time please cheque O/S version of the roland G-70..

Fred

#79762 - 01/18/05 12:56 PM Re: I Don't Like......!
captain Russ Offline

Fred...taking a few digital images of the "mystery Guild now, including the serial number. Can't find your email address. If you'll send it to me, I'll have my son email them to you while I'm gone.

Also have a single cutawway Guild purchased, I think, in 1979 ot `1980. It's a dreadnaught style acoustic. Originally, a customer ordered it and then changed his mind. I bought it and put it "in the stack". It's never been played. I'll email you the model and serial number. It may be a common model...I don't know. The dealer sold it to me for about $750..said it was cost and preferred to get rid of it instead of trying to return it.

Russ

#79763 - 01/18/05 01:05 PM Re: I Don't Like......!
freddynl Offline

Russ,
I did mail you about half an hour ago.

Look forward to the pictures.

#79764 - 01/18/05 01:13 PM Re: I Don't Like......!
captain Russ Offline

Fred...the sticker says Studio 403-SL, not 303. Does that make a difference?

Russ

#79765 - 01/18/05 01:58 PM Re: I Don't Like......!
freddynl Offline

Yes, I need new glasses

It's a studio 403

#79766 - 01/19/05 02:49 AM Re: I Don't Like......!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by royandreno:
Hey Nigel! I've got two of those things you don't get excited about!
But they are dead quiet with the Vetta II combo and great for recording!!

I wasn't putting the Variax down royandreno because I really do think Line 6 make great equipment. It's just that silicon chips do become obselete so quickly nowadays so having a guitar tied to the current technology scares me. But as you say if it sounds great now it will always sound great. I hadn't heard from someone that actually owned one so it is good to hear that they are good instruments. You have 2 so you must be very happy with their sound and performance. Now I'll have to find one and play it to satisfy my curiosity now that you have recommended them. The versatility of having such a range of tones in one guitar is certainly tempting.

Are you using them in live gigs ? How well does the sound cut through drums and bass in that playing situation ? What made you decide to buy a second one ? Now I am intrigued and but I'm sure you can understand why I would be wary of a guitar based on current computer technology. I tried using my Line 6 POD live for effects and modelling but ended up deciding my Fender tube amp sounded better with the guitar plugged straight in. I get best results with the POD running it into my solid state powered cabinet that I use with my Motif 6. Even though I don't use the POD at gigs I take it in case I ever have amp problems with my tube amp and I always have the keyboard amp there as a backup.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online