SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#79767 - 01/19/05 07:54 AM Re: I Don't Like......!
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My man NIGEL...! TUBES RULE!I have modeling amps, Roland Jazz chorus, Roland Cube 60, etc. but NOTHING matches my old Super Reverbs, Bassman, Twins. I have one of those cool little hand-wired Super Champs from the early 80's..switching channel...great to line out or mike. My sentmental favorite is a 59 Bassman...open back..4 10's dark brown cover. Like everything else...I bought this antique new.

Man, I don't like getting old.

Russ "tube man"

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 01-19-2005).]

#79768 - 01/19/05 10:49 AM Re: I Don't Like......!
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Nigel!
Little over a year ago I watched a demo of a Line6 Flextone and the Variax 500. I admit it was impressive and the versatility is near limtless, so I ordered the Vetta II along with two Variaxes, one 500 and a 700.
I gigged with this equipment for about half a year and was quite happy.......
until I checked out a Fender Super Reverb amp. (4x10's )
I never looked back. My Line6 rig is used for digital recording, and a 50th ann AmSe Strat is my main axe along with the Super and a GREAT Cornford Hurricane for overdrive. A bit more to lug,but I'm extatic about my tone!
To recap, I tried a Gretch through the Super at the shop that time, went home and dialled in Bassman on the Vetta, but it never could get there. Line6 is great, but read my lips: Nothing, nothing, can model the real thing.
You are absolutely correct Russ, tubes rules, and it has nothing to do with age!

To answer your questions Nigel, the tones of the Variax are nothing less than impressive, banjos, acoustic, LP it's all there and extremely close to the real thing. And with that equipment (Vetta 100W) I had no trouble cutting through the mix. You can go out via the PA and use the amp for monitoring for example. Think Hotel California, I play the finger pattern on a 12 string, and for the chorus it's the push of a pedal (yeah have the big footswitch too!) and a LP with overdrive kicks in. Jazz hollowbodies are modelled extremely well.

------------------
Roy-Andrč

[This message has been edited by royandreno (edited 01-19-2005).]

#79769 - 01/19/05 12:57 PM Re: I Don't Like......!

Yea, Roy, tubes are it! I have two supers...one a black face and one I bought in the early 70's. Man, I'm glad they come with pop out wheels.

Russ

#79770 - 01/19/05 01:02 PM Re: I Don't Like......!

Gary, I meant to tell you how much I enjoyed the lyrics to the song you posted. Given my less than serious comment about country music, it was the perfect comeback. It was a gem...the kind of humor that relly fits with the spirit of this group.

Always enjoy what you have to say...
Russ

#79771 - 01/19/05 10:40 PM Re: I Don't Like......!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I really can't imagine not playing through a tube amp. I have tried out lots of solid state amps over the years since the 70s when we were told that they would displace tube amps. Well I think everyone knows 30+ years later that that wasn't the case after all. The only thing is that now I use a much smaller amp than I used to years ago. I had a 100 watt Marshall stack when I was younger and then for a while a black faced 200 watt Fender Super Twin. The big trouble was that cranking those amps to distortion was absolutely deafening. Nowadays I am using a 40 watt Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that really can howl without bothering everyone too much including my own hearing. But real tubes are the only choice when it comes to guitar amplification.

Even a Fender Twin puts out a lot of volume before beginning to break up a little. I learnt a trick on how to easily add a gain control to a Fender Twin if you were willing to sacrifice the spring reverb - just unplug the cables to each end of the spring and connect them together directly. Because the spring has a lot of resistance the signal is boosted to pump it through. Remove the spring and the reverb setting on the amp becomes a boost setting that will overdrive the pre-amp. And the reverb footswitch becomes an on/off control for the boost in gain. This actually works on any spring reverb fitted amp and can be very useful. Just don't push it too high and blow your speakers.

Roy, how does the Variax sound through your tube amp ? Do you still prefer the strat over the Variax for playing live or do you use them both depending on the song's needs ?

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-21-2005).]

#79772 - 01/19/05 10:47 PM Re: I Don't Like......!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Russ I know what you mean about the Fender Bassman. Although I never owned one I played through one on a few occasions and that thing really purred. I can't remember seeing one with 4x10 though that would be perfect. I am very fond of multiple 10s for both guitar and bass. Was that just available with that 59 model or was it an option Fender always offer ? The Bassman I played through had 4x12 from memory and they were all slightly angled into center not on a flat board like most speaker boxes.

#79773 - 01/20/05 12:47 AM Re: I Don't Like......!
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Nigel,
the variax sounds very good through the tube amp indeed. I prefer my Strat for 1) The CS '54 PUPs can't be matched 2) the strat sound on the variax is good, but still not the real thing. 3) Body contour. 4) I've become a tube and vintage freak
In addition like you say Nigel, there's something about knowing it's the guitar making the sound and not electrons!
I'm pleased to discover all the interest and knowledge of guitar on the arranger forum!
For me the arranger world has backed up my needs to procure music as a well payed job in addition to my day job. Great fora, Nigel!
Russ, thanks for starting this thread!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#79774 - 01/20/05 07:12 AM Re: I Don't Like......!

Nigel...the first bassman amps were only available with 4 10's. They looked like a super, with controls on the back horizontal panel. They were open back...darker brown cover. I don't know when bassman amps were redesigned. The other one I have is a 1976 bassman 50...at least that's when I bought it. It has a chrome plate (not blackface) and black covering. The cabinet has two 15's that are mounted diagonally.The next generation of Fender amps I saw after the dark brown bassman were blond cabinets and separate heads and cabinets.

Russ

#79775 - 01/20/05 12:32 PM Re: I Don't Like......!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
For the fender tubeaholics (like me )
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

#79776 - 01/20/05 03:12 PM Re: I Don't Like......!

Fred...got stuck in Lexington...had a snagg in a big packaging prototype job for an outdoor show next week. It's for Q-Lighting, the same client currently exhibiting at NAMM...so it is unavoidable. I'll be sure to go to the summer show, since it's a bit closer. In my business, emergencies happen, but I really wanted to go to a winter show....been to the summer one for 5 straight years, but haven't been to a winter one for 7 years.

You are really the expert! Good to know. My Fender tube amps include:
narrow panel bassman (59), silver faced bassman 50 (76), Super Champ deluxe (85), Super reverb black face-(65), Super reverb silver face-(72), silver face twin reverb-(80).. black face vibrolux-(65). They're all great. I mostly use the super champ to line out of or the bassman head, a two twelve Peavey cabinet with black widows, an AB box and a 147 RV Leslie with foot switch/preamp/speed control....trying for that Lonnie Mack/Stevie Ray sound.

For bass with a Motown band, I use the bassman 50 with the original cabinet-two diagonally placed 15's.

For the singles I do, I use a Goden nylon string straight to a PA and use the PA effects. For jazz jobs, I use an L-5 with either the super champ or a Super Reverb. For variety jobs, I use a Roland jazz chorus( no tubes) and a Parker Fly, or 335.

Tubes are a pain, heavy and hot and require maintenance, but man, is it worth it! Bought all these Fender tube amps new.

Thanks again for the help on the old Guild...I'll be anxious to hear the rest of the story on that one from you and your author/friend .Some of the folks here might like to see a photo of that old box...my son is out of the office and I don't know how to post it...maby you could?

Best regards to all,

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 01-20-2005).]

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online