SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#79635 - 05/11/05 05:47 AM to get you thinking
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
ok ,we have some clever dudes on this site,now i,m going to give you a puzzle that,s not listed,(as far as i know)this is in 2 parts ,,if you was standing on top of a train carriage and the train is traveling at 50 miles an hour,if you jump up would you land in the same spot? now take it a little further, you are standing inside a train carriage that is going 50 miles an hour,if you jump up in the air will you land in the same spot, or will the train have moved forward , he he,mike

#79636 - 05/11/05 06:05 AM Re: to get you thinking
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Okay, that seems to be a little bit of Einstein's theory of relativity...

If you jump off the train you only would land on the same spot if you would jump into the opposite direction with about 50 miles (hey, maybe this would be sufficient to jump over the complete train ). Inside the train you will land at the same spot because you are in a closed system.
Is that right???

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-11-2005).]

#79637 - 05/11/05 06:42 AM Re: to get you thinking
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi sheriff,if you are in the train carriage when you jump you are in the air so would the train move forward until you land?mike

#79638 - 05/11/05 06:52 AM Re: to get you thinking
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Well, I think in this special case we have to surmount the air resistance outside the train. That means that the train would go on while your 'flight'. The air resistance provides you the ability on the top of the waggons for a better backward going as for a forward going.

But nevertheless it is Einstein's theory of relativity. Just in this moment when you're jumping up to the air you'll leave the relationship to the train for a moment...

But inside the train the air is a part of the train. That means that the air is related to the train - a closed system.

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-11-2005).]

#79639 - 05/11/05 07:29 AM Re: to get you thinking
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I've seen James Bond do a lot of train jumping. Next time I'll pay closer attention and get back to y'all.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online