SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7889 - 04/20/05 09:57 AM What is wavetable synthesis?
smoke-on-the-water Offline

Hi!
Now that I've got plenty of advice on my guitar playing I have another question.

What exactly is a wavetable and how does wavetable synthesis work?

A friend mentioned the name Waldorf wave. I did the search on Google but found only limited specs that didn't go into depth and some band revews that just mentioned Waldorf Wave.
Then I found a few links that spoke of another synth called the Microwave.
I wonder if Waldorf still make any of that stuff.

Something called the Waldorf Q showed up quite often. BUt it turned out that it is pretty much like the Nord. Analog sounds.

So I'm just wondering if any of the Waldorf wavetable (hope I spell it right) synths are currently being produced.

Jim.

Jim.

#7890 - 04/20/05 01:17 PM Re: What is wavetable synthesis?
DJWhite Offline

Loc: Birmingham, UK
OK, let me have a go at answering this:-

Wavetable synthesis is where you may have four waves, say:- vocal, bass, string and brass all mixed together and at a certain point all the waves will loop backwards and forward and remain static. That's how I understand it. I hope I've got it right. The best person to ask is Paul Maddox, the website you want is the PPG User group. Hope this helps.

#7891 - 04/21/05 06:00 AM Re: What is wavetable synthesis?
smoke-on-the-water Offline

Thanks.
I've done quite a lot of researching yesterday and it turned out that the wavetable is basically a set of sampled waveforms put together and you can switch in between them using envelopes, LFO and controls. That's how somebody described it to me anyway.

It also turned out that the Q also has wavetables.
THe store that I go to all the time has the Micro Q for sale going for about $400. THey also have the Q-Rack.
THe Q-rack's got more knobs but it is alot more expensive.

So I'm now considering getting the Micro-Q.

I was also told that both PPG and Waldorf are out of business.

Jim.

[This message has been edited by smoke-on-the-water (edited 04-21-2005).]

Jim.

#7892 - 04/21/05 06:27 AM Re: What is wavetable synthesis?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I use Steinberg’s Waldorf PPG 2.V which is pretty much the original PPG 2.3 with all the wavetables and features.
Since Waldorf are out of business and there is virtually no support for their hardware it only makes sense that you go for the Micro Q.
Less knobs means less repairs. At least in a long run. LOL

Another reason is that the store that we both go to has only one Micro Q and one Q-rack.
I want the Q-rack!!!! LOL

-ED-

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online