SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7616 - 12/17/03 01:21 PM Advice on best sampling keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

From any of you who've owned several keyboards and write, especially those of you who have done some studio or commercial work, or demand realistic sounds or samples, I need some advice on the kind of keyboard that might work for me.
Years ago, I used to have an Ensoniq EPS16+ when I wrote commercial-type scoring and played a little in a band, and I spent a few weeks combing through the manual. But, I no longer own it. This year I've been researching other keyboards since I'd love to own one again. I've tried a couple boards of Kurzweil, Yamaha, E-Mu, and Alesis, but some either don't accept samples, or the sounds are just ok, or the interface isn't great, or there's no external storage.
Here's what I'd really like:
- great accoustic (orchestral) sounds, and array of synthetic sounds
- good selection of on-board effects
- on-board sequencer optional
- large display
- organized, intuitive interface
- accepts samples or raw sounds to save/play as sounds
- has cards(?) to save/load sounds
- inexpensive (under $1000?)
Thanks for all your input.

SDW

[This message has been edited by SDW (edited 12-19-2003).]

#7617 - 12/18/03 03:17 PM Re: Advice on best sampling keyboard
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
From what you're describing, I think you're after something that you can gig with.
Kurzwell is not something you want then.
Too damn unreliable.

Try Yamaha or Korg keyboards. Such as Yamaha EX7, Korg Triton and may be Motif.
Don't expect them to be easy to use right away. With almost any synth there's a learning curve and some manuals to read.

-ED-

#7618 - 12/19/03 07:48 AM Re: Advice on best sampling keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
From what you're describing, I think you're after something that you can gig with.
Kurzwell is not something you want then.
Too damn unreliable.

Try Yamaha or Korg keyboards. Such as Yamaha EX7, Korg Triton and may be Motif.
Don't expect them to be easy to use right away. With almost any synth there's a learning curve and some manuals to read.

-ED-

Thanks for your input. I might have been a little unclear with my first submission so I revised it. I don't gig anymore so I'm interested in something more for home. How are the accoustic sounds on the Yamaha? Learning curve doesn't bother me. I haven't liked the Korg line much since they seem to have better synthetic than accoustic sounds. But their line does fit a lot of people. Ever play E-Mu or Ensoniq?

Thanks. - SDW -

#7619 - 12/19/03 05:57 PM Re: Advice on best sampling keyboard
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well,
E-mu and Ensoniq stuff normally sounds good. Very good. But the quality of their hardware (reliability( is ...not wonderful to put it mildly.
If you don't like Korg, I understand. It's very individual.
However, do check out the Triton. If you don't like it's on-board acoustic samples - there are lots of sample CDs and ways to expand that synth. One thing that I always liked about KORG is a bright, punchy sound, good FX and fast (smokin' fast) dynamic voice allocation.

Yamaha EX series were/are pretty damn good.
I personally like the on-board acoustic sounds. I can say the same about the MOTIF series as well.

Since you need a synth for studio work, Kurzwell will do a great job at that. Just don't try to gig with it.

-ED-

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online