SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7466 - 03/19/03 10:47 AM Phantom Power?
Nool Offline

Hi,

I want to buy a rode nt1. I will use it in combination with a Audio Buddy mic preamp. Then the signal will go into my computer.

But now I read that condenser mics need phantom power, I tried to look up what it means but I need it stated a little more simple.

I hope someone can do that for me.
Cause I have put my order on hold, untill I know whether this Phantom power thing is gonna give me complications or not.

Please let me know....

Best regards
NB

#7467 - 03/19/03 03:24 PM Re: Phantom Power?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Phantom power is where the mixing board or preamp sends 48V to the microphone instead of the microphone needing to be plugged directly into the wall. So if you have a mixing board or mic preamp with phantom power, you're fine.

#7468 - 03/19/03 05:50 PM Re: Phantom Power?
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Phantom power is so called because the DC power to polarise the capacitor runs up the signal wire so you have both AC signal and DC power simultaneously. If your preamp or mixer doesn't have phantom power built in you can get a cheap phantom box which goes between the mic and the preamp. Usually runs off a 9V battery. I made my own which uses a cheap chip to boost the voltage from 9V to 48V.

#7469 - 03/20/03 01:39 AM Re: Phantom Power?
Nool Offline

Thanks for your replies guys!

#7470 - 03/20/03 03:47 AM Re: Phantom Power?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The audio buddy has phantom power built in, doesn't it? It's a little black push switch on the back panel.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online