SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7336 - 10/25/02 04:38 AM Advice for newbie . .
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi everyone,

Being new to this forum I'm currently looking for my first keyboard.

I want it for (a) learning to play, and (b) maybe messing around with sequencing, interfacing with my PC, etc . .

I'm currently torn between the Yamaha PSR290 and the Casio CTK671.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom why I should choose one over the other, or indeed any alternative recommendations?

Thanks!

#7337 - 10/25/02 06:49 AM Re: Advice for newbie . .
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hi and welcome!

I must admit, I've never owned any of these keyboards and you'll probably get responses to this thread from people who are much more clued-up on the topic that I am.

But, for what it's worth, I'd go for the Yamaha. I recently saw a cheap Yamaha keyboard in a music store (don't know what model it was) that could handle MIDI and also had lights on the actual keys as well as an onboard tutor to show you the chords and correct finger positions.

To me that seems like a pretty cool invention and if I was trying to learn how to play the the keyboards (which I suppose I am!), then in my opinion, that's definately a road well worth going down.

-Equalizer

PS- I just noticed the name. You wouldn't be from Scotland by any chance would you?

#7338 - 10/25/02 07:07 AM Re: Advice for newbie . .
tekminus Offline

That's great! Then when it plays some backing for you, it actually feels like you know how to play.

I quess anything with MIDI capabilities would do, BraveHeart. Check out some Roland XP synths, XP-10 or 30. There are bigger more expensive models too, but they all have great presets.

-tek

#7339 - 10/25/02 01:59 PM Re: Advice for newbie . .
keyskitten Offline

Loc: Dickinson, Texas, USA
Yes, *those people* who think because they can generate 8 tracks of midi backing (a so called Yamaha 'style' but does not have any!) and that does indeed make them *think* they can play!

Not only that, they will tell you that if you do record your own midi tracks "from scratch" you are cheating!

THEY are "playing" with their left hand one finger generates 8 midi track and yes with right hand actually play (usually badly) a melody.

Am I bitter? You bet I am those buggers kicked me out of a Yahoo group for using software instead of WORSHIPPING YAMAHA STYLES!

(I bought the WRONG keyboard. Bad, bad keys kitten....bad!)

#7340 - 10/25/02 02:35 PM Re: Advice for newbie . .
tekminus Offline

What the hell were you doing in a Yahoo group for Yamaha styles in the first place?! Have some self-respect. Well, I quess you do, now that I think about you creating your own MIDI-files

-tek

#7341 - 10/25/02 03:12 PM Re: Advice for newbie . .
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keyskitten:
Not only that, they will tell you that if you do record your own midi tracks "from scratch" you are cheating!

Wow, people like that should definitely be raped, tortured and murdered. Seriously.

#7342 - 10/26/02 12:07 AM Re: Advice for newbie . .
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
raped and murdered? haha i hope thats hyperbole, and i agree with the torture!

#7343 - 10/26/02 01:03 AM Re: Advice for newbie . .
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, so is that a couple of votes for Yamaha and none for Casio?!

I'll be sure to check out some Roland synths too . . .

#7344 - 10/28/02 12:54 PM Re: Advice for newbie . .
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
BraveHeart,

Let me give you different perspective. I strongly recommend Yamaha but I urge you to pay more money for better yamaha keyboard.

For example, if you buy PSR740, in addition to getting large subset of motif(yamaha flag synth) voices, you will get the styles which will help you learn how to play and can be a stepping stone for your growth.

I do not recommend a synth for a beginner student even on my worst enemy.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online