SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#73004 - 11/20/99 03:50 PM My PSR-8000 gives me electric shocks!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I purchased my PSR8000 just over a month ago. Following advice from the YAMAHA website, I obtained the PSR8000-compatible SHURE SM58 microphone in order to use the vocal functions. Whilst using the mic connected to the mic/line-in socket I felt a sting/sharp tingle on my lips from the mic case!!! An electricity tester confirmed my suspicions that there was a current flowing through the mic. Subsequent testing of the mic on several other appliances (Hi-Fi, Amp) confirmed that neither the mic nor the mic lead were faulty.

My keyboard is connected straight to the mains supply (240V), carries the double-insulation symbol (which means that, by definition, it does not require an earth wire) and has a two-pin A/C inlet.

Given that the A/C inlet makes it impossible to earth the appliance, what measures can I take to remedy what looks like a design flaw? Has this happened to anyone out there? According to my local dealer, all YAMAHA keyboards are two-pin and the stinging sensation from the mic case is "normal". Please H E L P !

Many thanks,

An irate YAMAHA customer

#73005 - 11/30/99 09:07 AM Re: My PSR-8000 gives me electric shocks!!!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Well I would be concerned about the problem you describe. I am always very cautious when it comes to guitars or microphones that seem to be carrying any sort of current. A slight "tingle" when you are talking electronics plugged into the mains, is not acceptable.

I'd be interested to hear if this problem is one that other users are having with the same setup.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online