SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72638 - 11/16/99 06:50 PM Yamaha Disk Orchestra Files Compatibility
Rich (UK) Offline

Hi. Been looking through the Yamaha software catalogue and thought that the Disk
Orchestra Collection looked good (you know, plug it in your Clavinova and play along with
the band). Apparently they are compatible with a whole range of PSR keyboards too.

However, at the moment I'm using an MU100R. Can these Disk Orchestra disks be played
like normal midi files from the computer? Guess I'm asking if they can be converted to
standard midi files in some way.

Hope you can help...thanks,
Rich

#72639 - 11/16/99 08:14 PM Re: Yamaha Disk Orchestra Files Compatibility
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
I'm guessing that the deal is simsilar to that with files created on the MDF2... You have to read the filenames from File Manager and change the extensions to ones you can use in your computer with your software. For instance a sequence file might be created on the MDF2 as crassloop.SO1 if it's the first sequence file on the disk. So I just use Rename in File Manager to change its extension so the name now reads crassloop.mid and I'm all set.I don't think you could hurt the disk trying it but I'd try it on a copy.mn

#72640 - 11/24/99 10:26 AM Re: Yamaha Disk Orchestra Files Compatibility
Rich (UK) Offline

Thanks for your reply.

Well...the disk and music book arrived today, but alas the files were unrecognized by the few sequencers I tried to load them into...tried changing the extension to .mid too.

The original files have the extension .evt
and when opened with notepad are revealed to be in Yamaha's own ESEQ format (compatible with the Clavinova and specific PSR models.

If these could be converted to SMF format somehow, that would be great.

Regards,
Rich

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online