SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72512 - 11/12/00 08:49 PM Worth Upgrading A KN6000 to a Yam 9000? (Change of sound needed)
Jupiter5 Offline

Worth Upgrading A KN6000 to a Yam 9000, because I ear on many forums (not just Yamaha), that it is a superior keyboard.

I like the kn6000, but since I have had an offer on an upgrade ($500.00 + my KN600) - from the dealer I got the keyboard from, I am tempted, because I have the cash available.

There is one Problem though, I have never actually heard the Yamaha 9000 at all, since I brought my K6 from Mail order, so I would like to know how good it is before/If I make an upgrade. Is the Piano as good? - and the Electric piano's (wurlitzers etc?) Most important to me though, are the Choir sounds
(Gothic type/church etc)
- how good are these?. is the sampler good - or just ok?.

I need a reply/reccomendation as quick as possible, because they have this on a limited offer. I won't mind if someone gives it to me straight - and says the Yamaha is much better, because I have the option of changing. Is there a site that lets you listen to the demos?.

It doesn't have as many sounds as the k6 - but if anyone here as had/got both keyboards - what is the better of the two?.

lots of questions I know!, but it is a major purchase for me!, and not a shop anywhere near to try a yam 9000 out. Suggestions Appreciated!. I want a sampler for the k6 - but they come expensive, so that goes "For" the yam 9000's Advantage. The Sounds are more imortant to me that the ,Rhythms as I do a lot of sequencing anyway.

Can you load samples onto the yam 9000 like a "Normal" one, and will it take in .wav files? - and Akai etc.... (as you can see, i'm quite new to sampling etc... )

Are there any Links to a web site that demonstrates the yamaha?

Thak in advance (Help!)

Jupiter5

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 11-12-2000).]

#72513 - 11/13/00 04:54 AM Re: Worth Upgrading A KN6000 to a Yam 9000? (Change of sound needed)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If you play two handed "live" like I do (without the arranger, sometimes)and you like to layer nice fat strings and pianos - you'll be sadly disapointed with the 9000. The allotment of polyphony is terrible! The advertised 126 notes are not as efficient as earlier 64 voice instruments. This is because Yamaha used many partials for their "primo" sounds. If you are strictly an "automatic" player, the 9000 is as good as any of the rest, although I prefer the "punch" of the rhythm section in the X1 and the VA7.
I wish I had heard the 6000's piano sound - so I can't comment on it - but I remember the Kn5000 very well and I hated that acoustic piano sample. (personal taste)
All in all - your Kn600 is a more "specialized" market piece and is probably going to hold it's value longer than the Yamaha, so I wouldn't make the trade unless you absolutly LOVE it. Please don't take our advice as the gospel truth - it's VERY subjective, as you know. Play it long - see if the dealer will let you take it home for the weekend to do a fair A/B comparison. I'd hate to see you made a hasty decision that you may regret later.
My vote - keep the Kn6000 for a while - The Yamaha will go down in value soon, and will be plentiful. The 6000's are not as easy to find because the MI store don't usually carry the line. Put on your thinkin' cap, and GOOD LUCK !

#72514 - 11/13/00 11:19 AM Re: Worth Upgrading A KN6000 to a Yam 9000? (Change of sound needed)
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi
I'm intrigued by your statement that you got your KN6000 "mail order". Can you tell me where you got it? How much?
I don't think you should trade for the 9000, mainly because the 9000 costs a lot less than the 6000. So the trade in deal doesn't sound so hot. And, you really should check out the 9000 first before you make the leap - unless you can afford to add it as a second keyboard (but still listen first).
Tom

#72515 - 11/13/00 12:25 PM Re: Worth Upgrading A KN6000 to a Yam 9000? (Change of sound needed)
Jupiter5 Offline

Thank you very much for the Reply Uncle Dave.

I have only just read your post, and I was nearly on the phone ordering one! - And that is before I heard the yam 9000. One of the main reasons for an upgrade was for the polyphony (126 over 64 on my K6).

Also, I would like to do some sampling of some sort, and that favors the Yamaha as well. You didn't mention anything about the sampler or the choir voices, so I assume they are not "Mind blowing sounds", or maybe with so many questions you just forgot that’s all .

It's typical though, that now I have the cash available, and could get one tomorrow (literally) - I here "Fairly" negative comments on the psr 9000 (in comparison to what I've heard that is, and I'm not implying you say the 9000 is no good, but just not worth swapping maybe).!!!

A Month ago - I the Yamaha was praised like nothing on Earth, and people "Trading" there bugged K6 in for the super "sweet voices" on the 9000. What with the extra Polyphony, Sampler, Better sounds (so they said, but are they?).

If you didn't like the Piano on the k5 - then you probably won't like the one on the k6 either - but it is super to my ears) better than the Triton, Variphrase (which is not too good at all if the interactive demo is anything to go by - and I suspect after the "Gimmicks" on the Roland Variphrase has wore off, people will be trading that in for something else! - over 3000 sounds - but at what quality?).

Since I last Posted, I obtained a Manual on the psr 9000, and understand the sampler is "Mono", so is it that good? Anyway, although my k6 is an arranger, I hardly turn the Rhythms section on at all, but that is not to say I don't use Rhythms (I make my own up in the excellent composer & and Manual sequencer Pads).

If, as you say Dave, the Polyphony doesn't handle itself well on the psr 9000, then that is one turn off at least for me. So for $500 (could go to $650), I would probably be better off going for a sound module. But are there any good modules out there that would do the KN 6000 justice at this price? (Choir sounds are important, and good synth sweeps etc). I would have then, the best of both worlds (almost!) with 64 more notes of polyphony, with out sacrificing my k6!. What Module should I be looking at though (the "JV" models are the first that spring to mind).

(It was from Eddie moores music Tom.)

Thanks for the info Dave

Jupiter

#72516 - 11/13/00 12:40 PM Re: Worth Upgrading A KN6000 to a Yam 9000? (Change of sound needed)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Jupiter,
For my money, I'd get a JV1010 and lod it with the vocal board (#13) That will be a killer setup with lots of variations!!!!!

#72517 - 11/14/00 11:02 AM Re: Worth Upgrading A KN6000 to a Yam 9000? (Change of sound needed)
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Jupiter
I remember reading messages about the polyphony on the PSR9000. Even though it's 128, a lot of the voices use a lot of it up. Some posts seem to indicate it wasn't truly like 128. I think I read these posts somewhere here (sorry, I can't remember exactly).
Could you tell me about Eddie Moores Music? I searched the web, but couldn't find any info. Website? Phone number?
Thanks
Tom

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online