SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7244 - 02/05/07 04:41 PM Repeating a sample?
AnolaRock Offline

I have a sampler (an E-MU ESI 4000) and a midi controller and was hoping there was some way to set a sample to repeat without my having to keep doing anything. How might this be done?

Thanks!

#7245 - 02/05/07 06:56 PM Re: Repeating a sample?
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
By repeating, I am assuming that you mean not by setting a loop point, but rather to repeat tempo-wise. First, there is always the arpeggiator. Ive no idea if the ESI has an arpeggiator like the e5000 or e6400, however, I do know that E-mu's "scratch pad" sequencer is the most horrible sequencer on the planet. If you need to repeat on beat, you may need an external sequencer.

#7246 - 02/05/07 09:56 PM Re: Repeating a sample?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I don't know the E-MU ESI 4000 specifically but you really should be able to get the note to sustain endlessly and continually play the sample over and over. Is that all you are wanting to do? It should just be a matter of setting the loop points to the start and end of the sample so it continues to loop while the note sustains.

#7247 - 02/06/07 05:43 AM Re: Repeating a sample?
AnolaRock Offline

I can explain a little better what I am hoping to do. Setting loop points and sustain and everything is totally cool, I can do that stuff. I also don't need anything to repeat on tempo. I want to press a single button, let go of the button, walk away, have the sample play all the way through, get to the end of the sample, and then start over again until I tell it to stop.

Thanks again!

#7248 - 02/06/07 06:49 AM Re: Repeating a sample?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Enable trigger mode and use 'Latch" setting. Exactly what you want. Hit a button. The sample wil play over and over and over until you press the button again.

I owned ESI-32 and looking at specs the trigger mode is identical. Basically turns the num pad on the front panel of ESI into trigger buttons. Check the manual for more details. In fact, always check the manual. It's all in there.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 02-06-2007).]

#7249 - 02/06/07 06:13 PM Re: Repeating a sample?
AnolaRock Offline

Thanks a ton. I did look the manual up and down before I started searching online, but "latch" is definitely a new term to me. Now, anyway to set a key to latch on my midi controller? While I am at it, anyway to control everything in the EMU while only touching my midi controller? Being a rack mount it isn't so much convenient in my live setup.

Thanks again!

#7250 - 02/06/07 07:02 PM Re: Repeating a sample?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I guess the manual for the 4000 wasn't as thorough.
I've ran into a few like that.

I've only used "latch" for the trigger mode and that only worked with the numpad on ESI 32. So based on that I think that 'latch' only applies to the numpad and not to keyboard. Although if ESI 4000 has extra trigger options for its zones there could be some hope.

But if for some reason you can't have the "latch" function enabled for MIDI zones then what you could try is setting up an infinite Amp envelope release time for the zone that you want to sustain (or simply setup a "one shot) playback mode that plays the sample through its entirety regardless of envelope settings) and basically group that zone with another zone. That way if the sample is playing through and you want to stop it all you do is hit a keyzone grouped to it and the sound will cut off. I usually setup "silent" zones just for that. Think of it as an open/closed hihat effect where the "silent" zone acts as a closed hihat. Not sure if I'm making sense.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 02-07-2007).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online