SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72292 - 05/05/00 05:42 AM Yamaha QX1 sequencer
Nonsense Offline

Loc: Russia
I have QX1 sequncers. And it has 8(eight) separate MIDI outs. The problem is I cannot assign more than 4 midi channels on any of them. The Owner's Manual I have is very basic and has not any specification on this.
Well, does anybody know is this a limitation of QX1 and it's really only 4 MIDI channels can be assigned on any of 8 MIDI outs, or is it a kind of mulfunction. If it works wright should I buy a MIDI merger to QX1 in full MIDI power, say, with my SY77?

Nonsense, ICQ#7621306
sense_nonsense@yahoo.com www.kulichki.com/cddisk/indexe.htm

#72293 - 05/14/00 04:09 PM Re: Yamaha QX1 sequencer
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nonsense:
[B]Well, does anybody know is this a limitation of QX1 and it's really only 4 MIDI channels can be assigned on any of 8 MIDI outs, or is it a kind of mulfunction. If it works wright should I buy a MIDI merger to QX1 in full MIDI power, say, with my SY77?

Hi Nonsense,

The unit is working fine: the limitation is intentional to avoid MIDI log-jams.

Actually, the QX-1 was designed to be used with the TX-816, and the intent was to have more or less a one-to-one correspondence.

The multiple outputs are a luxury, really: I'd say you should try to make use of the MIDI output channel assignments and run things in parallel, rather than daisy-chaining all your gear.

Yes, a MIDI merge would work well, if needed.

Regards,
Chris

#72294 - 05/23/00 11:20 PM Re: Yamaha QX1 sequencer
Nonsense Offline

Loc: Russia
Hi, Feefer. Thanks you for reply.
And nevertheless, can you tell me exactly how many MIDI outs can be assigned to each of QX1's MIDI out. I need to control SY77 that has only 1 MIDI in with 16 MIDI channels. Can I use only one QX1's MIDI out or will i have to use 4 MIDI ins MIDI merger to control all of 16 channels?

#72295 - 05/25/00 05:33 PM Re: Yamaha QX1 sequencer
feefer Offline

Loc: XV-5080
Quote:
Originally posted by Nonsense:
Hi, Feefer. Thanks you for reply.
And nevertheless, can you tell me exactly how many MIDI outs can be assigned to each of QX1's MIDI out.

Max. of 4 tracks assigned to each MIDI out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nonsense:
I need to control SY77 that has only 1 MIDI in with 16 MIDI channels. Can I use only one QX1's MIDI out or will i have to use 4 MIDI ins MIDI merger to control all of 16 channels.

Yes, it looks like the MIDI merger will be required, but you'd only be able to benefit from only a 2 input merger, since the QX-1 has only 8 tracks, i.e. you'd only be able to use a maximum of 8 MIDI channels. I think the QX-3 has 16 channels; I don't know about the QX-5.

Regards,

Christopher

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online