SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71914 - 01/31/00 10:32 AM SY-77 Memory cards
snoids Offline

Loc: Spring Hill, FL, USA
Hello. I am new to this forum and synths in general. I am looking for extra memory cards for the SY-77. I have the Sax, Classical, and Organ cards, and a Sax waveform card. Were there anymore cards made? Anyone know how to acquire them?

#71915 - 01/31/00 08:45 PM Re: SY-77 Memory cards
mutt Offline

Loc: Susanville, Ca USA
If you're talking about discs with patches, go to SYNTHZONE - click on the Yamaha page -
Scroll down to Yamaha sites and Yamaha patches. There are several websites where you can download banks of patches. Otherwise, I'm not sure I know what a memory card is - are you talking about a data disc? If so, I've had my sy77 for about 9 years and I've never used or seen one, but I've gotten a lot of great sounds from the internet.

#71916 - 02/07/00 08:14 PM Re: SY-77 Memory cards
snoids Offline

Thanks Mutt
I am very new to all of this and was not aware that I could get sounds off of the internet. The cards that I am refering to are inserted into the top-left of the keyboard. One is a Wave card and the other is a data or memory card with extra sounds. I don't recall seeing anything in the owner's manual about getting sounds off of the internet. How do I get them inside the keyboard?
Mike

------------------
snoid

#71917 - 02/07/00 09:16 PM Re: SY-77 Memory cards
WhiteNoise Offline

Snoids

I'm an Sy-77 owner of many years. But I do not have any of the wave cards that you speak of. But I know that, in addition to the ones that you have, there is also a "Strings" card and a "Drum" card. I don't have any because they used to be very expensive and I couldn't listen to them first. So I said "the hell with them". I've seen these on the internet for sale by idividuals before. I'll look around and see if I can find any and post it here. Who knows I may buy one! These wave cards have all new samples or waves other than the original ones on the Sy77.

The voices that Mutt is speaking of that you can download off the net are NOT new "wave" voices for your keyboard. They are "edited" versions of the original voices that came with the 77. The sy77 is a powerful editing synth and some of those voices on the net are VERY VERY cool. People have done some interesting things with the original voices. These voices come in the form of songs mostly so you would load the songs up using your disk drive (usually "all data") and you'll have the edited voices.

I'll check back frequently, so post any questions. I may be able to help.

#71918 - 02/08/00 07:00 AM Re: SY-77 Memory cards
snoids Offline

WhiteNoise
Thanks for the info. I am just now getting into the manual deep enough to understand things. Sought of. I assumed that the disks were just to copy midi. I bought my SY77 used. It came with lots of disks that I have not explored yet. The guy I bought it from owned a mac, so I can't even look at the things on my PC. I write and record my own songs-strickly as a hobby. I have a home studio that up to recently has just had a set of drums, bass, and lots of guitar stuff. I record on an Akai DPS 12. I am completely new to the concept of midi. My SY77 came with an extra manual on midi for the SY77 and I am trying to study it, but I am a full-time student and work 32 hours per week. Your(and Mutt's) info was very helpful. I will check out the Yamaha sites for cool sounds and read up on how to transfer them into the SY77.
Thanks
snoids

------------------
snoid

#71919 - 02/08/00 08:44 AM Re: SY-77 Memory cards
WhiteNoise Offline

You and I are not very far apart at all. I too write and record my own stuff as a hobby. I've been recording on a Roland vs1680 for about 5 months now. Before that it was the old fashioned 4 track(yuk). I spent many years wondering what midi could do for me. Now I know. I use it all the time. I can probably help with any questions you have.

Have fun with those manuals!

#71920 - 02/08/00 09:41 PM Re: SY-77 Memory cards
snoids Offline

WhiteNoise
Do you know of any specific sites to checkout sounds from? I downloaded the SY Manager and the VQ Player and plug-in. The SY Manager looks cool, but I do not have the SY77 attached to my computer. I am assuming that I download the sounds you mentioned onto a floppy and then upload into the SY77. Right? I saw some sounds at classic corner at: http://www.yamaha.co.uk/synth/html/classic/p_sy77.htm
Are there more that you know of? Thanks

#71921 - 02/09/00 06:32 AM Re: SY-77 Memory cards
WhiteNoise Offline

Yes. Try this site
http://www.kki.net.pl/sy99/sy77.html

This site along with the one that you had will give you pretty much everything that I've ever seen available on the internet. And yes, all of these are files that you would simply put on a floppy and load up using the 77 disk drive.

I've got the SY77 Manager as well. I use it mainly as a librarian for all these different voices.

BTW, you may find that some of the voices on the site I gave you require a wave card. That's because a few of them are edited versions of the voices on a specific wave card. Most of them are not like this, though. Most are edited versions of the original SY77 sounds.

#71922 - 01/13/02 01:43 PM Re: SY-77 Memory cards
ajcgkm Offline

Loc: Wales
Hi snoids the cards you are on about are the voice data cards and the waveform cards. They act like the nintendo 64 games catridges. Just plug them in and choose utility card and load to download the sounds.
Now where to get them, to be frank they are like (rocking horse shit). I managed to get some shorttly after I bought my sy77. I got them in a place in Cardiff called MusicLand.
I hope this answers your Query.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online