SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71871 - 09/18/00 07:36 AM SY77 Drive broken
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found that my drive on my SY77 no longer works. I also learned it will cost about $300 USD to fix it.

What options do I have?

I bought a lot of sounds on disk and now I cannot access them. Are there any PC programs that read SY77 disks?

Thanks

#71872 - 09/19/00 06:26 AM Re: SY77 Drive broken
WhiteNoise Offline

Oh such a common problem these days with the Sy77. I'd say 95% of the postings about the sy77 in the last year has been about the disk drive and 100% of these problems have been the belt in the drive is worn out and needs replacing. $300, no way! I spent $15 to fix mine. Check the link below. It is my response to Snoids describing to him what I did.
http://www.synthworld.com/ubbs/Forum26/HTML/000573.html

Also, when you get it fixed you will want to get all your sy77 files converted to sysex files so that you won't need the drive, anymore. Currently, I only know of a way to convert the sounds in the s77 format to sysex which can then be midi'd to your keyboard using your pc. I haven't found a way to convert both sounds AND song data. If you are only concerned about using sounds and not losing any song data then check this site
http://www.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/ini/PEOPLE/heja/sy-computing.html

It has a file called "Syconv" that will convert Sy77 files to a sysex file with the sounds in it. No song data will be converted though. The sysex file can then be midi'd to the sy77.

Hope all this helps.

#71873 - 09/19/00 01:13 PM Re: SY77 Drive broken
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's good info to hear.

On the transfering sound/song data:
By song data you mean the notes that make up the song...? No problem there. I use Cakewalk for that part.

But I never was able to get sysex (in cakewalk) to work. So I will have to figure that out now. Thanks for the link to the programs that converts sound data.

#71874 - 09/20/00 12:56 PM Re: SY77 Drive broken
WhiteNoise Offline

Yes I am talking about the notes in a song. Also, I found a freeware program called "freeloader" on the internet that will send and receive sysex data. It was MUCH easier than Cakewalk, which I never figured out.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online