SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71783 - 05/18/99 05:26 AM DJ-X / Cubase niggles are driving me mad!
JetSet Offline

Loc: UK
Aaaarrggh! My DJ-X / Cubase set-up is sending me mad, because of a couple of small, niggling problems. Can anyone help before I decide to do a Hendrix on the whole lot and send 'em up in flames?

Problem 1. I can't get any of the DJ-X voices to sound - only General Midi.

On a new song, for instance, I create a part on Channel One, double click on the part to open the Key Edit window. Here, I click on the controller button at the bottom of the screen to get the list of controllers. I then click on unknown and get a small window open which allows me to select which of the two controllers I use.

The top controller I set to 0 or BankSelMSB as it displays. In the bottom one I input the corresponding LSB number, as given in the DJX manual. But this is where I get confused: some of the methods I've read about selecting other DJX voices make reference to using the pencil to draw in the value, but you can't do this in Key Edit. In fact, the only time I've found the pen works in key edit is changing velocity or drawing notes in.

The only other place I can find where you can use the pen to draw in a value is in the right-hand column in the List Edit. Is this where I should be drawing in the corresponding LSB value?

Do I need to perform an Initial Data send or a Data Bulk Send before changing any of the controllers in Cubase? Or is this something I should do after I've selected the relevant controller values? Is a SysEx send the same as a Bulk Dump Send?

I've tried it both ways and yet all I seem to get is a nice warm-sounding pad which I can never tell if it's a GM voice or a DJ-X one.

Problem 2. I can't get any of the DSP effects, nor the cutoff or resonance knobs to take effect when playing my DJ-X through Cubase. I suspect this is because I'm still unwittingly generating GM voices. On the DJ-X I set Local to 'off', Keyboard to 'out', Pattern to 'out'. On Cubase, I have MIDI thru activated, channels set to 'off'. (What do I do with these channels, anyway?) Yet nothing, although as I mentioned, I think this could be related to the Controller problem I'm also having.

Problem 3. What's a Mixer Map and how do I install one in Cubase?

If anyone could possibly take the time to help me I'd be more than grateful. I love my DJ-X, but I'd love it even more if it sent out the right MIDI signals.

Thanks in advance
Iain

#71784 - 05/20/99 02:31 PM Re: DJ-X / Cubase niggles are driving me mad!
REAMAN Offline

Loc: London England
If u mail me ill send u a utility to do it all 4 u.
It calculates the msb and lsb 4 u and gives u a bank number to input easy as that.

REAMAN@btinternet.com

#71785 - 05/20/99 08:56 PM Re: DJ-X / Cubase niggles are driving me mad!
Professor Klyzlr Offline

Loc: NSW, Australia
I wanted to buy a DJ-X to run with a Atari Cubase rig. Intriguing the problems you're having. The Channel number in the arrange page tells Cubase which channel the play the track through. In theory, if you record bass live on ch1, pads on 2, and beats on 3, and set all channels to OFF they should play on the correct channels.
I've been tempted to jump at a few synths for dance work of late that have an additional GM bank included, but as you have found, when sequencing they always seem to default to the GM bank.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online