SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7170 - 04/02/03 12:34 PM PC vs MAC - What's the best notebook for working with Audio and Midi?
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
What's the best notebook for working with audio and midi (using Digital Performer and Pro tools if I buy a MAC, or maybe Cubase SX if I buy a PC)?
Should I buy a PC P4 2,2gHz notebook or a MAC G4 powerbook?

I'll use the computer sometimes to live audio recording with 8 inputs, using a Motu 828 or something like that.

(It will also be very used with Photoshop and maybe even using Video)

Luis Santos

#7171 - 04/03/03 08:32 PM Re: PC vs MAC - What's the best notebook for working with Audio and Midi?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Luis,
I would first like to say that I am truly unbiased as far as Mac vs. PC's.
Right now I am on a 2.4Gig P4 with a gig of DDR333 and this thing will run like hell. I can practically run packets of SETI as fast as they can send them to me.
The answer though is plain and simple, it's the Mac. Music proccessing is of serial nature generally. The data proccessing flow is under tight scrutiny. This is where the Mac shines really strong because that is more so how it works than a PC. All the apps you mentioned will run better in Mac's lower level language (Mac software verses PC software)
Macs cost a fortune compared to PC's. It is very hard to find great deals on Mac G4 1Gig Powerbooks, but they are out there. You have to snag it as soon as you see it. Good luck sir.

#7172 - 04/04/03 09:58 AM Re: PC vs MAC - What's the best notebook for working with Audio and Midi?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I recommend the Mac as well . I will not use PCs at all . Morph is right though , the mac is not going to be cheap at all . As an avid mac user , the price can be troublesome . Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking when it comes to price .

One thing is for certain , if you buy the mac for music and internet and digital music ( mp3s ) , the Mac is superior in all aspects .

If you want to play games as well as the other things , or do some kind of server setup - go with Pc . Mainly because they are the standard in those areas .

#7173 - 04/04/03 11:35 AM Re: PC vs MAC - What's the best notebook for working with Audio and Midi?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Macs are so expensive because Apple has a monopoly on the hardware. There is plenty of competition in the PC hardware market, so the prices are more "natural." Hell, in PC processors there are only two competitors, intel and AMD, yet even with only two the prices are driven down a lot.

#7174 - 04/04/03 04:06 PM Re: PC vs MAC - What's the best notebook for working with Audio and Midi?
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
and when you build your own PC, the prices are even better...

#7175 - 04/04/03 09:11 PM Re: PC vs MAC - What's the best notebook for working with Audio and Midi?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
That's what I do, Marc.

#7176 - 04/05/03 12:44 AM Re: PC vs MAC - What's the best notebook for working with Audio and Midi?
MRT1212 Offline

how is it you know my name?

#7177 - 04/05/03 02:10 AM Re: PC vs MAC - What's the best notebook for working with Audio and Midi?
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
I'm looking forward to buy a laptop so I can't build one!

Yes, the prices on pc laptops are so different... powerbooks 1ghz cost a fortune!

I'll have to decide.

Thanks everybody!

Luis Santos

#7178 - 04/05/03 10:33 AM Re: PC vs MAC - What's the best notebook for working with Audio and Midi?
MRT1212 Offline

if you have no problem with voiding your warranty...

you can just go cheap with RAM which has high markup for laptops, then buy the needed ram and install it yourself.

#7179 - 04/05/03 12:17 PM Re: PC vs MAC - What's the best notebook for working with Audio and Midi?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Luis, You have to remember the old addage:
If it looks too good to be true, chances are it probably is.
Not long ago I surfed through XXXXX XXXXXXXX and saw a Mac laptop. I almost shit.
The top of the line Mac notebook plus all kinds of accessories was at 1200 bucks with a buy it now for 2400 I clicked it immediately! I added everything up and the retail total was about 8200 bucks! I wrote the guy and told him I would immediatly go to wherever and hand him the money (cash and carry)he replied with some bull about policies blahblah. It seemed fishy. I looked him up and saw that the address was a mail box drop and he is listed on XXXXX's most wanted forum. BE CAREFULL FOLKS! I cant reveal because it may comprimise an active investigation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online