SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71588 - 12/09/02 04:40 PM microphone!!
runner50 Offline

Loc: Geneva
Is it possible to still use the mic settings on the PSR2K going thru an external mixer first? If so, could someone tell me the correct path. I have a Mackie DFX12 mixer.

Mike Feligno

#71589 - 12/10/02 03:39 PM Re: microphone!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Although I'm not familiar with that particular mixer, the best advice is to first and foremost make sure that it has a low voltage output that will not overdrive the keyboard's mic input. When you hook it up, make sure the volume controls on both the PSR-2000, and the mixer's input and output volumes are turned all the way down. Then slowly, bring up the volume of the PSR-2000, keeping an eye on the keyboard's microphone signal and over signal lights. If the over light comes on, you are obviously overdriving the system, which can be damaging to the keyboard's internal vocal processor and pre-amp. The keyboard's internal vocal processor was apparently not intended for professional use, but it's a fun thing for private parties that only involve friends. For professional use, you may wish to take a close look at Digitech's midi volcalist, which does an excellent job when used in conjuction with a high-quality PA system.

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#71590 - 12/10/02 03:49 PM Re: microphone!!
runner50 Offline

Hello:

As far as the Digitech Vocalist, I tried it and it just seemed too digital. The voice was not natural, so what Ive done is to use two mini disc players and dub over backgrounds. These voices are real and natural.

Now, this low voltage mic. I see that the 2k has a 1/4" opening for the mic. All my mics have an XLR end. Must I get a special mic (low voltage) to use on the board or can I find an adapter and use the mics that I have. They are both SURE SM58's.

MikeF

#71591 - 12/10/02 05:09 PM Re: microphone!!
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I imagine the PSR2k is similar to the 740 as one replaced the other. I did some measurements on the 740 and the mic input has an additional amp with a gain of 5 which is switched in when moving the switch to mic from line. The sensitivities are 0.72mV mic and 3.5mV line for the green light(signal) to come on and 6.8mV mic and 50 mV line for the red light (over) to come on. The impedances are 50k for the mic and 10k for the line in. So your mixer should work just fine connected to the mic/line in and the switch set to line. It might be a little too sensitive so check the spec for the mixer line out level and adjust accordingly.

Bryan

#71592 - 12/10/02 05:46 PM Re: microphone!!
runner50 Offline

Bryan:

Thanks for the reply but am confused! If I use one channel for the mic I already use on my Mackie mixer, how can I connect the mic input channel on the board so the mic I use from my mixer indirectly goes thru the mic input on the 2K? I am thinking that one of my "send" openings needs to be somewhere in the layout. If you could somehow do a drawing, I would understand it much better. If you need more info, ask and I will try and provide it! :0)

Thank you...MikeF

#71593 - 12/11/02 06:13 AM Re: microphone!!
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Hi Mike. I see what you are trying to do. You want to use the mike on the mixer and at the same time use it on the PSR2k while taking the mixer line out to somewhere else. Using a send output will do it. Just connect it to the line in on the PSR2k. It's a mono unbalanced input with the parameters I gave. It shouldn't load down the send output too much. Since the input volume control on the PSR is directly connected to the line input it doesn't matter how high the mixer send level is as you can adjust it right down to zero. The best adjustment is when the red over light is occasionally coming on. There's an 18db difference between the signal and over lights and the input isn't being overloaded until it's several db over the level at which the over light comes on. Hope this isn't too confusing.

Bryan

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online