SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71291 - 04/23/00 12:12 PM I need a review of the SY-99
dalton2 Offline

Loc: Malaga, Malaga, Spain
Hi to everybody. 5 years ago I bought a Yamaha SY-99 synthesizer. It has AFM, AWM and RCM sounds, with up to 4 elements per voice, a 27,000 note sequencer with 16 tracks, lots of effects, 32 note polyphony, outstanding sound quality... and now I need your opinion. Did I buy a good synth or my local purchaser made his day when he sold it to me? You may think I am a little dumb for making this question after 5 years, but the truth is that I have had no references since 5 years ago and I am not used to check what's going on at the synth scene. To be sincere, I have enjoyed a lot my SY-99 during the last 5 years of my life. But now I have found this forum (which is really great) and I need more concrete replies: Were there better synths 5 years ago? Are there nowadays better synths with e.g. better quality? Please tell me also if it's possible to find better synths in the range of prices $2000-$3000.

Thanks in advance.

#71292 - 04/26/00 07:45 AM Re: I need a review of the SY-99
Bill Mocarsky Offline

Loc: Manchester, Ct. USA
"Did I buy a good synth or my local purchaser made his day when he sold it to me?"
Yes and yes.
The SY99 is a very deep instrument. The sound creation capabilities go way over most peoples heads, making it less marketable to your typical customer......Bill Mocarsky

#71293 - 04/28/00 04:29 AM Re: I need a review of the SY-99
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
The SY99 is very deep and powerful.

It wasn't a very popular synthe, not because it wasn't good(!) but because it was very expensive ($6,995.00 Aussie in 1991).

The SY99 had a similar fate to the Korg T series instruments. The SY99 is basically what the older SY77 should have been in the 1st place and the T series (T1,T2,T3) are what the Korg M1 should have been in the 1st place! Both the SY77 and in particular the M1 were successful, but the T series and SY99 weren't- mainly down to price and the fact that other much cheaper synthes were coming out at the same time! These cheaper synthes were not always better though- just the latest 'flavour of the month' synthes like the Korg O1WFD and Roland JV80.

I would hold on to the SY99!!!! Just because you are using are slightly less popular synthe shouldn't make you rush out and buy the hottest thing with keys just for the sake of it!!!!

If your music sounds great, your SY99 is certainly kicking butt!! I'd use that fantastic keyboard as a master controller also (it is a great controller!!) and add extra modules like somthing like a Novation Nova or Clavia Nord Rack and a Sampler. Boy what a set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are lucky to be the owner of an SY99!! Cheers.

#71294 - 10/17/00 02:46 AM Re: I need a review of the SY-99
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I agree with the points that Korgasm made regarding the historical perspective. Technology in music as in all areas has marched on in almost 10 years the SY-99 has been around. The proprietary RAM cards made expanding the SY-99 as a sample playback unit pretty expensive though I'd recommend you grab any of these if you come across them as it expands the possibilities. Also the SY-99 had a superior effects processor to the SY-77. Side by side the 99 sounds smoother playing back the same patch.

The AFM engine is what really makes the SY-99 and SY-77 great synths. You wouldn't get now what you paid for the SY-99 (as with any older technology) so I'd recommend you appreciate for what it is and keep it for good. A musical instrument always has value.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online