SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#71222 - 11/10/01 10:20 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
The only synthesizers that are being ignored in some way are the older digital samplers and synthesizers . I can understand why , lets face it , in samplers the original EMULATOR only had 128k of memory . The cheapest of todays samplers have 20 times that . The EMULATOR II only had 512k of memory . Most people get there samplers of today loaded up to 32megs of memory . The DX-7 only stored 32 programs and had a dirty sound because of cheap D/A converters . Digital technology keeps getting cheaper and have more features . You never know though , the whole vintage thing could some day include the vintage digital stuff too . Things like the ALPHA SYNTAURI , PPG , RMI KC-II , SYNERGY , SYNCLAVIER , 360 SYSTEMS DIGITAL REPLAY KEYBOARD , and other weird stuff like that .

#71223 - 11/15/01 01:41 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I only recently started using the DJX and after working with it for a while I've already recorded some stuff with it. Mixing acoustic guitar and vocals with some moderately compressed and tweeked DJX 1 drum and synth sounds has really impressed some people. Music is good only relative to the listener, or the culture derived by the music. I'm shure with the appropraite funding I could make DJX sounds paramount to gum chewing Britteny Spears songs and sell a ton of albums. Really it dosen't come down to how hi-fi your sounds are look at all of the vac tube amps and eq sets... that equipment is designed to add noise. It all comes down to the musician, if a musician with the right connections and talent were to use the DJX 1 to make his/her music than you might just hear it on the radio tomarrow.
Keyboards and equipment are just tools, they don't make you a better musician, for the money the DJX 1 packs alot of power. For us in the 21st century the DJX could be the tool for the next power pop sensation like Madonna... she didn't start out with a Trition work station, or in a studio that could afford one. I look at it this way, anyone capable of mastering good quality demos in their home studio would find many benifits in owning the DJX- PSR-D1.

#71224 - 11/17/01 01:31 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
splatastic Offline

Another two cents..

Being what feels like the only DJXII-B owner around, I think I have to stick up for 'the box':

Like Rice and the others said, you have to look at the cost versus what you get, and also how you, the individual, use it. For $199US, you get quite an amazing box, I think. On the DJXII-B, you get 180 voices and about 20 different drum kits, plus some great effects all in a neat little box! Show me another sound module for that price that does all that. Plus, even though it's a little tricky, you can make your own patterns and play them back on the DJXII-B, while playing a MIDI keyboard thru it (I've done it). Pretty neat, I think. And the scratch CD is alot of fun. Using the effects I've gotten some pretty cool tones out of it. Plus, it's great to throw some scratches into a song with when playing covers in a band (especially since alot of bands these days seem to be sticking DJ's in the background).
I will admit, I wasn't that impressed with the DJXII keyboard. But, don't bash it's forgotten brother until you give it a try. I think if you got an orginal DJX and connected it to a DJXII-B, it wouldn't be half bad.
Is it a toy? Maybe, but aren't they all just 'toys'? What defines 'professional keyboard'? Do I need to spend over $1000? $1500? When you get a chance, look up a guy named 'Wesley Willis'. This dude has recorded hundreds of songs, goes on tours, and has several albums out. And he did it all with what sounds like a Casio keyboard! Granted, it's not always the greatest, but most of his songs kick ass and are really funny (Check out "Suck a Caribou's Ass")! Music is in the ears of the beholder. If some kid playing a plastic bucket can make it into a Madonna video...

Anyway, next time your looking for an inexpensive sound module, check out the DJXII-B.

Later,
DJ Billabong

#71225 - 12/14/01 03:02 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guys..guys..guys....

You can't expect an all-features-in-the-world-in-one-tiny-pack synth unit for this kinda price.

If you want a mother of a synth that can tweak a piano to sound like a sax or a master-blaster that can control half of the zillion units in your concert, then expect to empty your coffers!

Do some homework...look around...compare what you can get for about 200$ - 250$ and then come to a conclusion...

It's the amateur and not-so-pro. market that this thing is aimed at. That's probably why the pricing is so agressive and you can't expect a 1000 voices or an 88key master controller or a workstation w/. HDD for this sort of pricing. If you're looking for those, then search at a higher price level and market.

I found it's a great piece for a start (for people who'd like a cheap -read 'economical' groovebox). If you want a good learner's keyboard for this price range, there's the PSR GX76. And if you wanna gig with Paul McCartney, there are the Korgs and the Rolands and the AKAIs and other $1000+ units out there.

But seriously, remember this is a beginners buy and if Yamaha wanted to add more features into -that you people cry about the DJX not having - then they would be selling this as some PSR -500series or 600series with a 600$ tag. Maybe their line up actually is.

Anybody thinking of a PSR-740 or a 9000pro right now?

I'm open to feedback...you are most welcome. But I really didn't get a better keyboard/groovebox that had better options and features at this range of pricing.

#71226 - 12/15/01 05:48 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the market is drooping a little, but there would certainly be a number of current djx users and others who would dish out $600 for a higher line PSR version of the DJX. But for $600 they'd certainly have to do more than add a floppy disk.

Yeah, I have a high end Korg and have had an Akai and so forth, and the djx sound quality is not as good, but were talking street gigging and Dj'ing, and more likely small gig or party Dj'ing. The DJX is perfect! Again, heck charge a little more, give us what we want, and everyone is a happy camper....

------------------
Official DJX Users Group http://page.freett.com/newfriends/

[This message has been edited by dj_white_rice (edited 12-16-2001).]

#71227 - 12/16/01 01:31 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
DJ,
I totally agree with you... Actually 2 weeks ago I emailed a letter to Yamaha with a suggestion. I think they really hit the nail on the head when they released the original DJX. When that thing came out there was NO other keyboard in that price range that offered what the DJX did... Yamaha really was on to something with this keyboard. I suggested to Yamaha that they come out with a Pro version of the DJX like they did when they released the 9000 Pro. Imagine a DJX with these features:

-16 track (internal sequencer)
-good quality expandable sampler (like on the 9000 pro)
-large back lit screen
-good professional look (possibly drop the speakers)
-add a floppy disk drive
-add a synth engine (again similiar to the 9000 pro)
-do what they do with all their upper keyboards and use the same set of keys as on the upperline models they have (synth action)
-better DSP's
-good pattern sequencer

These are just a few of the addtitions that I feel would complete this machine. Now I understand if they add all these features it will push the price up over $1,000, but if they make it right people will buy it. People always talk about how expensive a board is, but we all know that when we want something we find a way to get it. I honestly think a DJX Pro would sell and would sell big time. If yamaha made it right and marketed it properly, I think it will be a big hit...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#71228 - 12/16/01 09:24 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, Squeak!

You know, your right! If they came out with a pro version of the djx and put some real hardware and stuff into it. You know a real hip hop, dj'ing, urban style professional keyboard. I'd certainly consider shelling out a $1000 or so for it. I mean I love my Korg and spent plenty on it, but the djx was the first keyboard Yamaha ever produced that I felt had any merit. I have never cared much for Yamaha gear personally and generally stay away from it, even it's professional line. I am not alone in that either, for Digital Drums Roland is the way to go, for Keyboards it's got to be a Nord or a Korg, for guitars electric or acoustic it's not gonna be a Yamaha. BUT! The djx-1, not the djx-2, but the djx-1, changed my opinion and view of Yamaha, at least for the last year or so. I hope they will listen to their american, U.K. and non-japanese markets
for once, because if they do, they might actually sell something to someone who lives outside of Japan and make some money.

Thanks, for your input!

------------------

[This message has been edited by dj_white_rice (edited 12-16-2001).]

#71229 - 12/16/01 09:42 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by optinone:
ive never used or touched a DJX, but....
my friend had the original, and he said it was awesome, he traded it in for turntables cuase it's cooler to be a DJ than a musician/artist??????

=====================================

Hey Optitone, that's probably true! There's a lot more fame in front of a crowd throwing together a cool mix, over being in a band playing a djx, or mixing with the djx without turntables. But both of them together would be nice too, if used with a flavorable technique and original style.

Thanks,

------------------
------------------

#71230 - 12/16/01 10:16 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
DJ,
I'm with you 100% on this one... If Yamaha actually came out with a pro version of the DJX, I would do everything within my power to buy one.... I too own the original DJX and as far as I'm concerned it is an amazing keyboard especially for the low price.... Yamaha can only better themselves by making a pro version of this keyboard.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#71231 - 12/21/01 04:47 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Umm....,

I think what broke the mould was the very unusual package - good sounds, "fresh" sounds, modern beats, some synthing, and other such very tempting features - all for a price that attracted the average 'home' misician to give this one a shot, to flush their dough on this one - and they liked what hit them.

And perhaps that's what's made this one such a classic.

If they had priced it at par with the others in the category, do you guys seriously think this piece would have such a fan following?

Now if they had put in all these drooling features like a 16-tracker and 96K sampler (which Yam is more than capable of), that would obviously put in this machine a higher price slot. How many would have still thought of giving this one a try?

Don't you guys think that adding all the pro features might just make the DJX another synth on the shelf? (Hell, I'd definitely want one of those pieces, though)

Unless, they price it as aggressively as the original DJX, Yamaha might just end up adding another one to their catalog.
If they had priced it with the PSR9000Pro, would you still buy it? (In other words, would it sell as hot?)

Wot say, mates?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online