SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71153 - 11/02/99 12:59 PM dx7: weird characters in display/no sound
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi!
i'm having this problem with my yamaha dx7.

if i select the internal patches my display looks like this:

INTERNAL VOICE
Bank4 XXXXXXXX

where XXXXXXXX is just some arrows that point to the left and some lines..

if i select the Cartridge patches everything looks like normal but my dx7 doesn't play anything..
it sends midi and all but no sound..

does somebody know what's wrong?
i'm getting kind of angry here.. =)

regards, andreas

#71154 - 11/02/99 08:10 PM Re: dx7: weird characters in display/no sound
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
Is this the original version, brown with membrane switches? Contrary to what's implied by 'internal' there are no ROM programs resident i n t h e m a c h i n e; they have to be loaded into there from an ROM or RAM(actually EPROM) cartridge.It sounds like all your internals got reset to the initial voice(do you have no sound on INT OR CART?) Try doing the procedure to download cartridge contents to the internal memory. Make sure all memory protection on machine and card is OFF. It's conceivable if it's a 'RAM' cartidge that the voice data got erased, but are the program names still there?hmm...Another confusing little quirk on the DX7 is that when you switch from INT to Cart and vv. you still have the previous program name until you make a program change, even though the top line has switched to show the newly selected bank!I>E> if you go from INT1 to CART1 you will still see INT1's name until you press another number then 1 again. Maybe this will clear some things up for you. Good Luck.mn

#71155 - 11/12/99 07:35 PM Re: dx7: weird characters in display/no sound
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
Me again, I was reading something about DX21 patches and thought about your trouble...is it possible you've got a patchbank loaded from the wrong synth? The DX7 doesn't really use terminology like 'bank 4' but the 21 does. That's a 4-op machine vs 6 on the DX7.Get some patches (I think you can get the factory patches online. If you've got a sysex editor you're all set.)that you know for sure are for your version of the DX7. If you,re still having trouble it's possible the battery needs to be changed. Under 2.8v it's suspect, under 2.2 it needs to be done NOW. Have a tech do it or there's a spot on the Yamaha Zone with directions for the reasonably skilled or brave.mn

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online