SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7097 - 04/29/05 10:11 PM Synth To Laptop Question ...
hauschild Offline

Loc: lisle,il,usa
Guys,

I recently purchased an ES7 and need would like the most efficient method of connecting the synth to my laptop. I've got a Dell Inspirion 9100, 3ghz, 1 gig ram.

I've also got Sonar4 installed, but when it loads, it can't find an acceptable sound card.

I'm a big newbie, so I need advice on the best direction to go. Should I get an external sound card, or should I go with the mlan16 expansion board? I've researched both, but I'm not sure if I'm mixing apples with oranges???

Basically, what's the easiest and/or best method to record from my synth to the Sonar4 application?

Thanks!

#7098 - 04/30/05 12:58 AM Re: Synth To Laptop Question ...
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Well, IMHO you have to find your sound card first before you make any further steps. You want to need your PC system as a controller (it's your own choice ), so your PC is the brain in your hardware arrangement. A brain without connections to any kind of interface that is required for your work is totally useless. It's absolutely recommended that your system knows and drives the sound card.

I know that WindowsXP has really many problems in a bundle but it is proclaimed by MS that you should have all the needed drivers (but this seems to me like just another lie). Well, before I give you the tip to downgrade your system to Win2000 there will be some points to clear:

[*]Your system doesn't find the sound card?
Try another PCI slot and install your driver again.

[*]Your system doesn't find the right driver?
Try another driver from your driver CD. If all fails then ask your dealer for the right driver.

[*]What chipset do you use?
It's rumoured that the VIA chipset doesn't support the ASIOdirect standard. DELL Inspiron? Well, I think they're using the Intel's chipset. Strike this posibility...

[*]Are you using ASIOdirect?
Maybe this could cause such problems but I don't really believe this because your system will have to find the right driver first before any ASIO standard will try to work for you.

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 04-30-2005).]

#7099 - 04/30/05 09:48 PM Re: Synth To Laptop Question ...
hauschild Offline

Sherrif,

The chipset on my computer is an Intel 865, so it looks I'm ok with that issue.

I need to know the most practical route for me to run on this one. Do I purchase an external soundcard, or do I go with the audio interface? Is the mlan16 an example of an audio interface?

Ultimately, I will run vocals and guitar, in addition to my synth.

I hope I've provided enough information for you guys to make a suggestion on how I can hit the ground running here.

Thanks!

#7100 - 05/01/05 04:23 AM Re: Synth To Laptop Question ...
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hauschild:
I need to know the most practical route for me to run on this one. Do I purchase an external soundcard, or do I go with the audio interface? Is the mlan16 an example of an audio interface?

As far as I know 'MLAN' means midi LAN only, and that means to me that it is an digital audio card. It seems to me that the MLAN16-E is an internal card for a Motif ESx board. Is it possible that arranger keyboards doesn't come with a full range of digital interfaces?

I saw many interesting posibilities for example in combination with a Yamaha 01X mixer board with which you can control your internal soft synths and sequenzers.

I also saw that the problem of latency isn't still corrected even if you're using ASIOdirect. You still have latencies up to 2.2ms and that's not acceptable to me (Another reason for me to use an Atari ).

Quote:
Ultimately, I will run vocals and guitar, in addition to my synth.

Okay, now it's important for me to know what kind of guitar and vocals you want to use. Do you want to sing and play guitar on a real mic/instrument? Or do you want to use the internal abilities of virtual singers and guitarists?
Also it's important for me to know wether you want to record your songs on a hard disc or to an external destination. Only permitting signals is easier to manage for the PC than permitting and receiving at the same time. But for a full studio function ability you will need both directions.

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#7101 - 05/01/05 10:51 AM Re: Synth To Laptop Question ...
hauschild Offline

Sherrif,

Uh, I would be using my pipes for vocals, and also my guitar playing for guitars. However, I wouldn't set this in stone, as I just got my hands on a copy of Steinberg's Virtual Guitarist and plan on installing this software once I get the synth to computer crap setup.

Here is an excerpt about the mLAN16 --- The mLAN16e transforms the Motif ES into a 16 channel output, 8 channel input computer audio interface. This allows you, simultaneously to record14 individual output channels plus the stereo mix to your computer. In addition, the Motif ES's 2 A/D inputs can be used to record other instruments into your computer. Connect a Mic or Guitar to the Motif ES's A/D inputs and even use insert effects as you record.

I found a site that teaches the basics of what I want to accomplish. However, after every controversial point the author makes, he basically states, "Well, it all depends on what's important to you.". This is a pain for me because I don't know yet, ya know?

I also don't like the sound of me not being able to use my computer to record. It's my company's laptop that I use to develop software by day, and game at nite...now hopefully record. It cost nearly 3 thousand dollars, so there must be something usable in it? I guess I won't know until I hook it up.

This much I do know, though: The soundcard currently installed in my laptop is not capable of outputting any sound thru Sonar4. I need to know what I can do to correct this?

If I install the mlan16 expansion board, which I guess also acts an audio interface, what device do I need to get sound from the speakers hooked up to my computer? Or, does the mlan16 receive data from Sonar4, then output the sound from the speakers hooked up to my ES7?

It looks like the mlan16 takes care of my guitar and vocal issues, but does it also replace a computer's sound card for outputting sound?

Thanks, guys!

#7102 - 05/01/05 11:51 AM Re: Synth To Laptop Question ...
Sheriff Offline

Okay, now the coin has fallen (a german spell) which means that I understand your problem now. I hope so...

I guess your sound card will play normal wave files with WinAmp, WinMediaPlayer, NeroMediaPlayer or something like that? And you always hear the tunes? But with Sonar4 it doesn't happen anything at the outputs?

Let me give it a new try!
I guess your problem is your sound card only (if it's really a 'sound' card instead of an 'audio' card it won't work anyway with ASIO). I'm also guessing that you're using ASIOdirect because you've written that you've installed Sonar4. The problem with ASIOdirect is that IMHO no sound card and not all audio cards do support this standard. You will have to figure it out which manufacturer supports those audio cards.

Your audio ins and outs have to work right first before you try to connect your kb. As long as your program can't find the right card your audio system won't definitively work for you.

BTW: Another posibility is to use the PC as a 'tape' recorder only. For this you don't need any ASIOdirect and a normal sound card will be sufficient. But for this you have to use an external midi sequencing system.
That's the way I'm doing...

TIP: Why don't you write your question into the General Arranger Forum? There are many more guys who could help you with your problem...
------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-01-2005).]

#7103 - 05/01/05 07:18 PM Re: Synth To Laptop Question ...
hauschild Offline

Danke!

#7104 - 05/02/05 04:50 AM Re: Synth To Laptop Question ...
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Danke!

Keine Ursache!!!
You're welcome!!!

#7105 - 05/02/05 06:54 AM Re: Synth To Laptop Question ...
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Yup, post in the General Arranger section. Aj will be the one to ask.
He too uses his laptop to run soft synths, sequence and record/process/master.

I'm also thinking of MIDIfying my ThinkPad) so far I've regarded PCs as musically useless) and using it as an extra sound source. I'm not in a hurry though.
I'll most likely run Reason on it, just like I used to on my old ThinkPad.

But not before I get my G5! That is a priority. I'll be broke, I won't eat but the G5 will sit on my desk in four weeks.

-ED-

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online