SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#70972 - 12/08/04 01:33 PM S80 to host problem
sdan Offline

Loc: South Dakota, USA
I previously had Windows 98 installed, and the CBX drivers worked flawlessly.

Now that I have XP installed, No programs are communicating with my S80. It's behaving like the cable isn't even connected. I've installed the latest CBX drivers for XP (v 2.00), and I have the latest version of XG works (3.07). I've also tried midi with Adobe Audition and Fruity loops to no success.

I've gone thru all the steps I could think of to try and fix this problem. The to-host switch is on PC-2. The only COM port I have is COM-1. The cable is in like new condition. tried reinstalling the drivers and programs. I verified that in the control panel the YAMAHA CBX A DRIVER is selected as the default playback. I've selected the CBX A Driver in all the programs. I even tried a second machine running windows XP. No luck with anything.

Something else I noticed that may be important... When I had 98 installed, if I had the S80 already on when I turned on the computer, I got a midi error. I've read that this is normal and that I'm supposed to turn the computer on first. Well, with XP, I don't get that error if I have my S80 on already when I power up the PC.

Oh, and I have the PLG-150AN and PLG-150PF boards installed.

Short of reinstalling Windows 98, does anyone have any ideas?
---
Thanks in advance,
Dan

[This message has been edited by sdan (edited 12-08-2004).]

#70973 - 12/30/04 05:27 PM Re: S80 to host problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Dan
(i suppose you are using a DB-9 to 8 minidin cable)
I've a QY70 and somewhat of experience with "to host" cables and issues
have you checked the speed of the serial port?
remember it must be at 38400 bps
this setting is not set automatic by the installer, it has rather to be se manually
on the control panel->system->ports->COM1
hope this helps

#70974 - 01/11/05 03:51 PM Re: S80 to host problem
sdan Offline

Loc: South Dakota, USA
Awesome! I'm making some progress. But I think something is still set wrong. Now when I turn my computer on, it says midi error on my S80. That's what it used to do when things were working right. But when I try to use midi in a program, it says the device is buzy, try later.

I now have the port set to:
38400 bits per second
Data bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop bits - 1
Flow Control - None.

Is this correct?

#70975 - 01/18/05 03:59 PM Re: S80 to host problem
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Sounds like the driver isn't working properly. Unfortunately I'm using Win98SE so can't help with XP. I'm still using the 1.85 CBX driver and it communicates OK with my PSR-740. I found that the port settings didn't matter as the CBX driver sets the port parameters dynamically when it's activated. I wonder if the 1.85 driver would work with XP. No harm in trying as it's easily uninstalled. PC2 is the correct setting as it runs at 38400. PC1 runs at midi speed (31250) so don't try it with the to-host connection as the com port won't run at this speed.

Bryan

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online