SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#70952 - 04/30/00 01:52 PM Broken SY77 Disk Drive
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got an SY77 with a broken disk drive. Does anyone have any experience replacing one of these ?

#70953 - 05/01/00 01:43 AM Re: Broken SY77 Disk Drive
snoids Offline

Loc: Spring Hill, FL, USA
Jeffery
I had the same problem and a member named WhiteNoise was kind enough to post an excellrnt reply. I have not had time to follow up on it, but I have pasted the response I got below:
hehe I understand your apprehension. When I do these things, I just tell myself that I won't do anything that I don't know how to do. I do know how to unscrew screws and as long as I can unscrew screws and things just simply lift off after that, then I'm ok.

As background, I am not an engineer or anything like that. I am a finance guy!!! So I hope that makes you feel better.

1. If you flip the 77 over with the back facing up there are quite a few screws to get out. Once you take them all out, the back comes off fairly easy. There is nothing attached to it. It's just a metal shell.

2. You should be able to see and get to the disk drive. I think there are a few screws (4 at most) that you need to unscrew to be able to slide this out. Once you've done that, I remember it sliding out pretty easily.

4. Once you have the drive in your hand you need to do some more unscrewing on the disk drive itself. I think I unscrewed about 4 screws and took the cover off the drive and I could see the disk wheel that turns with the motor and I could see the belt. As a note, there are some wires that attach the drive to the synth. These wires are used to transfer the data to the keyboard and provide power to the drive. You can leave these plugged in if you want. Or you can unplug them to get the drive completely out of the synth. What I actually did was take the cover of the disk drive off with the wires still attached and then I tried to retrieve a file from a disk so I could watch the wheel turn. (Not sure how I retrieved a file with the synth upside down but I must have picked it up enough to work the buttons) I saw that it wasn't turning. It was interesting because I'm remembering now that my belt was not broke. But it had smoothed out on the sides and was now slipping. When the motor was churning (making the noise you described) I put my finger on the big disk wheel and turn it with my finger to help get it started and the belt sometimes would take over and it would actually finish loading up the file. This is what told me the belt was just worn out.

5. I bought several of these belts and tried to find one that didn't apply to much tension (too small) but one that wouldn't pop off because it was too loose. I had a guy at the electronics store help me match them up.

6. After attaching the belt, I held the drive in my hand, put a disk into it, and turned the keyboard on and tried to retrieve a file. I watch the disk wheel turn and made sure the belt was working (without the help of my finger). The I put everything back together.

Sorry for the long message and I hope this helps. The only thing I can say is that while I'm not an engineer, I have tooled around with pc's a little bit. If you have ever installed a component into your pc, like a hard drive, cd-rom, etc. then this is VERY easy. It may seem like a lot but I think the whole thing took me 15-20 minutes and I had never pulled the back of the SY77 off before.

My general rule is that I won't do anything that I can't undo. As long as I can slide something back into place and screw it back in then I'm ok. There is no need to touch or get near any of the electronic boards you will see throughout the rest of the keyboard so you can't really hurt anything.

I will be checking back here frequently so if you have trouble or get the back off and have a question before you proceed then ask away. If I have to I'll go through the motions with you on my 77 so we are looking at the same thing. It really isn't that much work.

Good luck.

snoids
Junior Member posted 02-17-2000 03:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#70954 - 05/01/00 08:03 PM Re: Broken SY77 Disk Drive
WhiteNoise Offline

Hi Jeffrey

I am the one who sent that message to Snoids. Let me just describe what the specific problem that he had was. He said that when he tried to retrieve a file from a disk he could hear the drive working but it never finished. It would just hang up. I had the same problem and it is caused by the rubber belt wearing out. It's a small problem.

If your problem is different from this, then post what's happening. Unfortunately, if the drive has gone bad I'm not sure it can be replaced. But there are alternative ways to get your songs loaded into the 77. I can help with this if you're interested.

Also, to you and Snoids, here is an excellent site I found devoted just to the Sy77. It has just added a new forum. No one has posted there yet! The webmaster seems really nice and willing to help out as well.
http://homepage.mac.com/buisman

#70955 - 06/04/00 04:24 PM Re: Broken SY77 Disk Drive
Anonymous
Unregistered

snoids/WhiteNoise,

It worked !!!

Got a replacement belt from a VCR repair place. He didn't have an exact match, but he came up with a 9.5 inch belt that did the trick.

Thank you both for your help.

Jeff

#70956 - 06/04/00 10:36 PM Re: Broken SY77 Disk Drive
snoids Offline

Great news JeffreyC !! Do you know the name, make and model number of this belt? I would love to get one.

#70957 - 06/05/00 06:45 AM Re: Broken SY77 Disk Drive
WhiteNoise Offline

Cool! Glad your back up and running.

#70958 - 06/08/00 10:03 PM Re: Broken SY77 Disk Drive
snoids Offline

JefferyC
Can you give me the name of the store you got the belt at if you do not know the make and model number of the belt? I had no luck finding one at Radio Shack.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online