SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7091 - 01/09/04 09:17 AM Best keyboard for today's hiphop/R&B
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
For creating current drum loops. Is this mostly done with samplers? Not looking for dance or techno beats. more hiphop, rap R&B. I've been asked to produce an album on these lines. I've got the Roland XP with the dance board, but some of the sounds are dated, and the ones I like aren't a big enough variety to do an entire CD. I know what I want as far as sound but I don't know what equipment will take me there. I've got enough old synthes and stuff to creat basses, leads, Epianos and whatever. I need the drums. I do have Gigasampler. Recommendations on sample libraries I should buy?
Not a lot of artist around South Dakota want to do this kind of music, so I haven't built my arsenal up in that way, but I look forward to giving this a shot, an attempt, and I know what I have is not sufficient.

#7092 - 01/09/04 01:07 PM Re: Best keyboard for today's hiphop/R&B
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Your best source for cutting edge hip hop drum sounds is definately the internet.

I know for a fact that many of today's successful rap producers simply take their drum beats from either the internet or from sample CDs. I know this because on a few occassions I've downloaded drum loops and suddenly recognised the same stuff appearing on hit records.

Luckily, there is no shortage of great rap and hip hop drum loops out there so I'm sure you'll have no problems.

#7093 - 01/11/04 04:02 AM Re: Best keyboard for today's hiphop/R&B
tekminus Offline

A good sample set of an acoustic kit would be a start. Your Roland probably already has all the required TR-808 sounds. You just need to sit down with an audio editor or sequencer and create those cutting edge loops. Ready-made loop CDs don't always have the latest sounds. Oh and if you do use samples alot, I recommend a hardware sampler.

-tek

#7094 - 01/11/04 01:43 PM Re: Best keyboard for today's hiphop/R&B
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I am a Mac user (Logic Platinum 6), so I heavily use EXS24 sampler as well as REX loops. About a year ago Emagic released their Hip-Hop CD for EXS24/Logic, so I've been useing that ever since. Aside from that, i have a HUGE sample library for my old AKAI stuff.
My nowadays stuff isn't really Hip-hop (not as repeatative), but I do use lots of drum loops and hip-hop type drum sounds.

-ED-

#7095 - 01/20/04 10:09 PM Re: Best keyboard for today's hiphop/R&B
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Hi. Thanks for the replies. I haven't forgotten about the thread, just returned from the Namm show in Anaheim. I endorse and do demos for Blade guitars. Anyway, thanks again, and keep any further ideas coming. Didn't get enough time att the Namm to wander around as much as I would have liked to do some research myself.

#7096 - 01/22/04 01:51 AM Re: Best keyboard for today's hiphop/R&B
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
You didn't miss a whole helluv a lot. It seems Harmon Industries have really chummed up with products for musicians and the entire music industry proccess. The food sux, (always did) I was afraid I would drink, but didn't. I avoided those corner "holes". Bought the freakin ugliest keyboard tie though that youd think I was drunk> Damned thing, I wouldn't check my oil with it it's so ugly.LOL

------------------
MORPH! Sound Gp.
Rights Free Productions
(that means "it's all you"!)
Dawgbite, Underdog Records
Laguna Beach, California 92652-0054

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online