SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7080 - 02/28/07 06:36 PM How to modify a piano patch for mono playing
bthmedicinetree Offline

Loc: cranston, RI, USA
Some of the pianos I like to use on my Alesis QS6.1 have stereo in the name like "TrueStereo" and I'm only running through one speaker in mono. How can I modify these patches so they sound the best they can in mono?
Also I have a USB midi interface, is there somewhere I can download good mono piano patches and transfer them to my keyboard?
Please help...thanks

#7081 - 02/28/07 07:28 PM Re: How to modify a piano patch for mono playing
bthmedicinetree Offline

OK I found this, now how do I load these piano patches onto my keyboard with my USB midi interface? They are in .ubk format and my computer doesn't recognize the file.
http://web.archive.org/web/20020202215112/sams.best.vwh.net/alesis/

#7082 - 03/01/07 08:36 AM Re: How to modify a piano patch for mono playing
quietDIN Offline

As the site says, the .ubk file is in Unisyn format, and you'll need that program to use it. However, the file also seems to be available in MIDI SysEx (System Exclusive) format (.syx). SysEx loaders are readily available. What computer are you using? What MIDI software do you already have?

[This message has been edited by quietDIN (edited 03-01-2007).]

#7083 - 03/01/07 10:59 AM Re: How to modify a piano patch for mono playing
bthmedicinetree Offline

thanks for the response.
Im using an older toshiba satellite laptop (pentium III 1.0ghz, 30gb hard drive) and I dont have any MIDI software. Whats the name of one I could get? I do have an Edirol USB to MIDI interface to hook the KB up to my laptop.

#7084 - 03/01/07 11:42 AM Re: How to modify a piano patch for mono playing
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Most keyboards will double the "left" output jack as a "mono" jack. Will the QS output in "mono" if you just hooked up one cable from the left jack to your speaker?

I do remember reading in the manual a ways back for for the QS6.2 that if you hook up a single cable in the left (or right) output the QS will automatically route both the left and right channels to that one output. This is suggested when hooking up to a "mono" system.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#7085 - 03/01/07 12:14 PM Re: How to modify a piano patch for mono playing
bthmedicinetree Offline

message below

[This message has been edited by bthmedicinetree (edited 03-01-2007).]

#7086 - 03/01/07 12:15 PM Re: How to modify a piano patch for mono playing
bthmedicinetree Offline

yes, thats the way im doing it now. so even though the piano is called "truestereo" im not losing any sound quality by running it through one speaker in mono? is it not going to sound as good as if I were using a special mono piano patch?
if possible id like to just use what I have, but if im going to get better sound with a piano patch designed for mono playing than I will.

#7087 - 03/02/07 02:53 AM Re: How to modify a piano patch for mono playing
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bthmedicinetree:
thanks for the response.
Im using an older toshiba satellite laptop (pentium III 1.0ghz, 30gb hard drive) and I dont have any MIDI software. Whats the name of one I could get? I do have an Edirol USB to MIDI interface to hook the KB up to my laptop.
You're welcome. A good all-around MIDI utility is MIDI-OX; see: http://www.midiox.com/

Quote:
Originally posted by bthmedicinetree:
yes, thats the way im doing it now. so even though the piano is called "truestereo" im not losing any sound quality by running it through one speaker in mono? is it not going to sound as good as if I were using a special mono piano patch?
if possible id like to just use what I have, but if im going to get better sound with a piano patch designed for mono playing than I will.
A true stereo source has components in one channel that are out of phase with the other. Mixing the two will result in phase cancellations and reinforcements that might vary with time, note played, etc. The output labeled "mono" typically just mixes the two channels, and therefore won't solve the problem. You might actually have better results by using the output not labeled "mono".

A mono patch is usually best to use with an otherwise mono system configuration.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online