SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7070 - 03/12/06 10:02 AM This is purely computer related
ochre aka ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Not sure if I'm in the right zone but here goes anyway.

I have an Advent laptop running on Windows XP and am fairly new to computers.

Noticed an icon on the desktop labelled"Microsoft anti spyware" and on clicking on this was told that it was out of date and should be replaced by Beta 2. So downloaded and installed this version and this told me to get rid of adaware cos it is potentially damaging. Snag is that the Lavasoft adaware shows some 17 items and if I get rid of these I may make the pc inoperable. There are also two other adaware icons on the desk top, one is aaw personal and the other is adaware SE Personal.

What should I do??

Also, the Microsoft anti spyware icon has disappeared from the desk top. How do I get it back?

Any advice much appreciated.

Peter

PS Just thought of something else while I'm here. Thinking f converting recorded music on CD or cassette to MP3 form. How do I go about it?

#7071 - 03/12/06 10:51 AM Re: This is purely computer related
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Peter
1. Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and System Restore and create a restore point. (That way if anything goes wrong you can restore the computer to that point)
2. Click Start, Control Panel, and Add/Remove Programs and remove any program that is related to Ad Aware or Lavasoft. (If any icons are left on the Desktop you can then delete them)
3. Windows Defender (The new name for Microsoft’s AntiSpyware) now runs unattended in the background, so you should not need to access it, however if you do require to access it then Click Start, All Programs, and click Windows Defender to open it.
4. If you still require it on the desktop then Click Start, All Programs and Right Click Windows Defender, then select Create Shortcut. You can then drag this new shortcut to the Desktop.
5. Have a look what software is on your computer, as most these days come with programs that will convert to mp3. If none are available then go to www.download.com and type in mp3, then take your pick of the software available. (Don’t forget to create a Restore Point before installing any new software, just in case it goes wrong)
Hope this helps.

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 03-12-2006).]

#7072 - 03/12/06 11:58 AM Re: This is purely computer related
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I have been using Ad-Aware SE daily for years to get rid of spyware files. Lavasoft also provide regular update defs ref files. It's an excellent program and will not harm your PC.

#7073 - 03/13/06 04:41 AM Re: This is purely computer related
ochre aka ogre Offline

Wow! That was an quick resonse. Thank you both.
Little bit confused over adaware. As mentioned, the Lavasoft adaware folder contains a number of files/ programmes(? not sure where I am with pc technology!!) and if I get rid of this folder I may lose things which affect the smooth (touch wood) running of the system. As I've had adaware for more than six months and in view of Grahams's comments think I'll leave it alone.

And thank you Bill for your words of wisdom on MP3. I'm off there now.

Peter

PS Recently been given www.museeq.net/ref/CARLECOLHO1899.HTM as a source of mainly 30's/40's jazz, bigband swing. If you don't know it it's well worth a visit.

#7074 - 03/26/06 08:47 PM Re: This is purely computer related
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Peter,

I think you may find that it's an promo. If you right click it and review the properties you'll see it's a cleverly disquised anti virus promotion.

Don't use 2 different anti virus programs together, one will screw up the other and in turn, possibly foul up your windows Xp.

I use ad-aware, I've never had any problems, but I only use it as a spy scan. I use Norton anti-virus for protection. I've disabled MicroSoft anti-virus.

You might want to invest in a router if you don't already have one.

Good Luck and because we've never conversed before...."Welcome aboard the Zone"

------------------
...shboom

#7075 - 03/27/06 01:42 AM Re: This is purely computer related
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
AdAware received some bad press about three years ago because they were slow in updating. All the others hopped on the bandwagon to smear them. Shortly after that, they got up to speed, and never looked back. I believe they are the best.
Bernie

#7076 - 03/27/06 04:02 AM Re: This is purely computer related
ochre aka ogre Offline

Thank you both - much appreciated, but Shboom, what the heck is a router??

Peter

#7077 - 03/27/06 07:43 AM Re: This is purely computer related
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/router1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router

A router basically makes you invisible, particularly to those wishing to infiltrate your system. Can you say...."firewall"?

btw: I receive absolutely NO spam.

Look into a router Peter. It's a must in todays cyber world, for protection.

I wanted to also note that wireless routers will allow people driving by your house to tie into your internet connection.
Solution: Don't go wireless.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 03-28-2006).]

#7078 - 03/28/06 08:40 AM Re: This is purely computer related
ochre aka ogre Offline

Thanks again Shboom. We never stop learning.....

Peter

#7079 - 04/02/06 03:54 PM Re: This is purely computer related
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
Quote:
Originally posted by ochre aka ogre:
Thanks again Shboom. We never stop learning.....

Peter

Hi Pete RePete here

We never stop learning.....

Spoken words of a wise man.

Pete

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online