SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#70614 - 10/08/10 06:30 AM KN6000 Floppy Drive
PeterH Offline

Loc: Quesada, Alicante, Spain
I have cured the problem with my floppy drive, I stripped the unit down and found a bad connection in one of the connecters.
It now reads and writes to my discs but I now have another problem.

If I format a disc in my PC it cannot be read by the keyboard and visa versa, so althought I can now edit and save songs to my discs I cannot copy midi files from my PC and install them into my keyboard.
Any ideas anyone????

I have a problem with my KN6000 floppy drive, when I insert a disc I get a message telling me that it needs to be formatted but I know the discs are OK as they work fine on my PC. I have replaced the drive with another one which I know works and I still get the same message. I installed the KN6000 floppy drive into my PC and it works OK in that.
Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone tell me how to repair the drive.
Regards Pete Hull

[This message has been edited by PeterH (edited 11-01-2010).]

#70615 - 10/08/10 04:20 PM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Peter,

I always format floppy disks/SD Cards (and now, a recently purchased Portable Floppy Disk Drive) in the Technics keyboard first. After formatting I save a 'test' style in the usual way on the keyboard and then you can use it without problems.

Tip: if you want to backup your floppies/SD Cards on the PC make sure you 'Copy and Paste' or drag & drop, rather than cut because if you don't, the PC will automatically save the data to word (.doc)
which the keyboard will not be able to read. This could be the reason your PC is showing the floppies correctly, but the keyboard is asking you to format them.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 10-08-2010).]

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 10-08-2010).]

#70616 - 10/09/10 06:47 AM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
PeterH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PeterH:
I have a problem with my KN6000 floppy drive, when I insert a disc I get a message telling me that it needs to be formatted but I know the discs are OK as they work fine on my PC. I have replaced the drive with another one which I know works and I still get the same message. I installed the KN6000 floppy drive into my PC and it works OK in that.
Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone tell me how to repair the drive.
Regards Pete Hull

Hi, I tried formatting a brand new disc in the drive of the keyboard but I then had a meesage saying that the disk was write protected even thought it was not. I then copied songs in technics format from my PC onto this new disc and it still would not read it or format it (I had the same write protected error message).
Thank you for your reply I will have to keep on searching for an answer to this problem I think the problem may be in the electronis of the keyboard?
Regards Peter Hull

#70617 - 10/09/10 04:02 PM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
Audrey Turner Offline

Have you tried 'Initialising' the keyboard and then formatting the disk. This sometimes works. Are both windows open, if so,you could try putting a small piece of sellotape over the righthand window at the back where you'll see the little 'open/
close' icons.

When I've been given a floppy with both windows open I've done this and it works. I would think the disk you're trying to copy is 'write protected' which the PC will accept but then it becomes 'Read only' which is why the keyboard is 'confused'.

Worth a try anyway.

Audrey

#70618 - 10/23/10 08:44 AM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
HarryG Offline

Loc: Germany
Hello Pete,

I have written a mail to you.

#70619 - 10/23/10 04:40 PM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello Peter,

I don't know whether you have solved your problem, but tonight I found the following in my Manual which might help and I quote:-

"You can reset all the PERFORMANCE items with the following procedure:
Turn off the power to the instrument once.
Then, while pressing the three lower left buttons in the RHYTHM GROUP section (60s & 70s, MODERN DANCE and SOUL & R&B)at the same time, turn the power on again."

Good luck!

Audrey

#70620 - 10/24/10 04:17 AM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
PeterH Offline

Hi Audry,
I tried that but it still tells me to format the disc.

Thank you for trying to help.

Regards Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
Hello Peter,

I don't know whether you have solved your problem, but tonight I found the following in my Manual which might help and I quote:-

"You can reset all the PERFORMANCE items with the following procedure:
Turn off the power to the instrument once.
Then, while pressing the three lower left buttons in the RHYTHM GROUP section (60s & 70s, MODERN DANCE and SOUL & R&B)at the same time, turn the power on again."

Good luck!

Audrey

#70621 - 10/24/10 05:12 PM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
mordicus Offline

Loc: Montreal
Hi Peter,
Do you know about the Service Diagnostic Function? Maybe that could help.

#70622 - 10/25/10 05:22 AM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
PeterH Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mordicus:
Hi Peter,

#70623 - 10/25/10 05:25 AM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
PeterH Offline

Thank you I have already tried that as well but the result was that in the Floppy drive diagnostic test it told me I had a Flash Drive.
Regards Peter

Quote:
Hi Peter,

#70624 - 10/25/10 07:43 AM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
mordicus Offline

Loc: Montreal
Quote:
Thank you I have already tried that as well but the result was that in the Floppy drive diagnostic test it told me I had a Flash Drive.
Regards Peter

A flash drive on a KN6000 ??? How is this possible?

#70625 - 10/25/10 11:46 AM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
PeterH Offline

As far as I know it's not, this is the response I get when I run the diagnostic check on the floppy drive. I suspect that there is a problem within the main circuit board that stops it from recognising the floppy drive?

Regards Peter.
Quote:
A flash drive on a KN6000 ??? How is this possible?

#70626 - 11/01/10 12:26 PM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
PeterH Offline

Quote:
As far as I know it's not, this is the response I get when I run the diagnostic check on the floppy drive. I suspect that there is a problem within the main circuit board that stops it from recognising the floppy drive?

Regards Peter.

#70627 - 11/02/10 05:31 PM Re: KN6000 Floppy Drive
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello Peter,

I've just had a thought! On my T3 I have some converted KN7 styles which are also on my USB stick.

One of our keyboard members has a Tyros 1 which only has a floppy disk drive, so when it's his turn to bring his keyboard to the Club, we all use floppies that contain styles taken from the USB and saved to a floppy disk, using a portable floppy disk drive.

I am wondering whether the styles you are trying to copy have been saved in the same way, from another completely different keyboard - without first being converted.

Do you think this could be the reason a 'flash drive' is mentioned, or am I getting confused here.

Audrey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online