SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#70543 - 09/15/10 10:48 PM Technics Kn2600 help
Jim Kirker Offline

Loc: D'aguilar Queensland Australia
gave my much loved Kn2400 to one of my Grandchildren,bought a Yamaha PSR-S910,what a disapointment.6 days later sold it on Ebay...Now looking to go back to technics.I am looking for some information about a card system that is used for storage on the 2600 and to which I have absolutely no knowledge...need someone to explain to me what the card actually is ? like is it the same as one would use on a camera etc,or does it have to be specifically for Technics? your help would be appreciated as I am considering looking for a 2600 this time.

#70544 - 09/16/10 05:00 AM Re: Technics Kn2600 help
technicsplayer Offline

it's a standard SD flash memory card, and can be used in anything else, and formatted in the keyboard to suit the keyboard.

However the machines are now quite old and were only designed for SD cards up to 1GB in size, and smaller cards are becoming obsolete. Larger cards than 2 GB are now SDHC and these will not work. A 2GB card (which can be cheaper than a 1GB nowadays) can be formatted as 1GB in the KN7000 and used normally, and I assume the 2600 will be the same, never having tried it on that machine.

However the good news is that for the average owner it's impossible to fill a 1GB card to its menu capacity with more than 1,980 technics saves and 999 midi files without advanced tricks. And 1,980 does not represent technics songs which could be up to 19,800 if they are short!

#70545 - 09/16/10 05:11 AM Re: Technics Kn2600 help
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Jim, The KN2600 has the same storage system as the KN7000 and uses an SD Card (Secure Digital) for saving KN2600 format files and also MIDI files and MP3 files. This is probably the most popular of all the Digital Memory cards and you can use virtually any make of SD Card up to a capacity of 1 Gigabyte. However, since there are a few poorer quality 'Unbranded' versions of these cards - which may or may not work properly - I would recommend that you stick to the better known brands such as Panasonic, Sandisk, Kingston, Toshiba, Fuji etc. There are numerous sources of supply of SD Cards on the Internet, at very reasonable prices. One example is www.7dayshop.com/ if you are in UK......

Within the range of SD cards, there are several different types and sizes. Don't be tempted to buy the SD-HC or ULTRA versions since they will not work on the KN2600. It is possible to use SD Cards with a capacity of 2Gb but this is a bit of a waste, since the KN2600 will only see the card as a 1Gb device, due to its addressing capabilty.

There are also three different physical sizes of SD Card - Standard, Mini and Micro. The KN2600 is designed to use the Standard sized card - which is about the size of a postage stamp - however, you can also use the Micro size which fits inside an adapter and 'converts' it to a standard size. The Mini size can also be used in conjunction with a suitable adapter. The Micro size cards are often cheaper than the standard size, due to their popular use in mobile phones.

Storing data from the KN2600 on the SD Cards is very straightforward and is similar to that using the Floppy Disk, which you had on your KN2400. Saving and Loading operations to the card, are much faster and of course can store much more data than a Floppy Disk. Using the SD Card system, will be fairly well covered in the KN2600 Instruction Manual.

Looks like we were posting at the same time Alec

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 09-16-2010).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#70546 - 09/16/10 07:57 PM Re: Technics Kn2600 help
Jim Kirker Offline

Loc: D'aguilar Queensland Australia
Many many thanks to you both,you have answered my question fully...now to try and locate a keyboard in Australia,they are becoming very sought after I have found,especially the 7000,attracting wanted to buy ads from overseas.Fortunately I still have some discs with your registrations which were brilliant.

#70547 - 09/19/10 08:45 AM Re: Technics Kn2600 help
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
it's a standard SD flash memory card, and can be used in anything else, and formatted in the keyboard to suit the keyboard.

However the machines are now quite old and were only designed for SD cards up to 1GB in size, and smaller cards are becoming obsolete. Larger cards than 2 GB are now SDHC and these will not work. A 2GB card (which can be cheaper than a 1GB nowadays) can be formatted as 1GB in the KN7000 and used normally, and I assume the 2600 will be the same, never having tried it on that machine.

However the good news is that for the average owner it's impossible to fill a 1GB card to its menu capacity with more than 1,980 technics saves and 999 midi files without advanced tricks. And 1,980 does not represent technics songs which could be up to 19,800 if they are short!

How could you format a 2gb sd card on either the KN7000 or the KN2600? What is the proceedure? Derek

#70548 - 09/19/10 09:23 AM Re: Technics Kn2600 help
technicsplayer Offline

Program Files\SD Tools\Format

the rest will be unallocated space which can be restored with a genuine PC SD format program by eg Panasonic or Toshiba, last time I tried (years ago now) Windows Disk Manager could not delete the 1GB partition and restore the full 2G.

A 2GB card will format as 2GB in SD Jukebox and work OK in the KN7000, but the % remaining screen display will be incorrect.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online