SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#705 - 11/28/03 03:52 PM Sound cards for laptops
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Does anyone know if there are any soundcards on the market that can be used with laptops and have all the benifits of a normal pro audio card (such as; an ability to trigger VST instruments live, MIDI inputs/outputs ...etc)?

Thanks!

#706 - 11/28/03 10:49 PM Re: Sound cards for laptops
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have a PCMCIA sound card that does all that jazz....and whatta ya know - it's for sale ! (like all my gear)
It's a Digigram VXpocket professional sound card. It's time code compatable - has Analog and digital ins and outs .... XLR hard wires .... you name it - it's got it ! Originally $600 - Yours for $200!
Never been used. I bought it as an impulse item at a blow out sale this last summer. Couldn't resist the price, but I have no real need for it.

#707 - 11/29/03 03:23 AM Re: Sound cards for laptops
tekminus Offline

You could buy an external USB soundcard. That's what I did. I use the ESI Waveterminal U24. It doesn't have MIDI-ports, but it has all kinds of audio connections. Dave's price is right though, so go for that

-tek

#708 - 11/29/03 06:57 AM Re: Sound cards for laptops
Uncle Dave Offline

Wow, are we having a "moment" here tek?

He's right about the $$$$ - this is a great deal if you need a high end sound card.

#709 - 11/29/03 09:36 AM Re: Sound cards for laptops
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
I'd go with external USB or Firewire interface.

-ED-

#710 - 11/29/03 10:21 AM Re: Sound cards for laptops
Uncle Dave Offline

Are they under $200?

#711 - 11/29/03 12:17 PM Re: Sound cards for laptops
Clif Anderson Offline

Does the VXPocket have the requested MIDI I/O? If not, a separate USB MIDI can be used with it. Another alternative without MIDI is the Echo Indigo IO, which I use, but the VXPocket seems to have more features. Some PC Cards require a CardBus slot, so check on this compatibility issue.

#712 - 11/29/03 01:13 PM Re: Sound cards for laptops
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well, I never came across a laptop that handled PC cards without some type of problems.
USB and Firewire stuff is definitely gonna be big bucks (unless you get one for christmas of coarse). From financial point of view Uncle Dave's offer is great. I mean $200.00 for a high-end PC card is pretty damn good.
My only concern is potential compatibility issues.

-ED-

#713 - 11/29/03 04:50 PM Re: Sound cards for laptops
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Well, this all sounds very exciting, but I have to stress I'm just at the stages of early research and until I sell my Z1 I won't be able to buy a toaster.

Basically, I was saying in another thread that my Z1 is too heavy and I'm considering changing for something more light weight and easier to program (like a Nord Lead 2).

Anyway, the thought occurred to me that maybe I should go down the laptop/midi controller keyboard route. But I have to say, I'm not so sure any more. I read an article on the web last night that said that laptops can't handle audio stuff very well for a number of reasons.

One of the main flaws (according to this article) was that laptops have smaller and slower hard drives. And, according to the article, this means that if you're using something like Cubase, then your system will start to freak out if you use any more than 4 tracks.

So, the upshot is, I'm really just trying to figure out what's what. But the offer from Uncle Dave certainly sounds like a good deal.

#714 - 11/29/03 07:06 PM Re: Sound cards for laptops
Clif Anderson Offline

Equalizer, I have been considering some of the same issues, so maybe you will find the following helpful or maybe someone can give some suggestions.

I have a laptop and music software. Unfortunately, to make music, I have to attach the laptop, laptop power supply, controller, audio and MIDI cables, boot the computer, and launch the music host application. Sometimes, the Muse does not want to wait that long!

My current thinking is to replace the controller (an Oxygen8) with a small, lightweight synth that I can use with and without the laptop. Two octaves is too limiting, four is ample, and three might (I'll have to try to know) be an acceptable compromise between size and range. (I can always MIDI my 76-key Roland A-50 when I need more range).

I am still deciding on which small synth to buy. There are some inexpensive alternatives: used Roland Pro-E, microKorg, Korg MS2000, used Korg Prophecy (kewl, but mono), Novation KS4. Any other suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online