SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#70372 - 07/10/10 05:59 PM More about Working with an SD card
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I saved a 128 MB SD card on my computer years ago. The problem is that having little knowledge of the SD card back then my computer shows them as numbers and letters in this fashion -- TFLD001 I am opening them in my computer and copying them to a floppy and the saving them on the SD card using the Kn7000. I also have a 256 MB SD card.

1-Is there another method?
2-Where would I find the Panasonic card reader?
3-Will the SD card reader in my computer do the job?
4-Will I need the Juke Box ----- If so where can I find one?

I am really digging in, it is fantastic to open a file containing many hours of work I put in 4 to 5 years ago and it is still there.

Thank you for helping, John C.

#70373 - 07/11/10 04:33 AM Re: More about Working with an SD card
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi John - You really are having some 'Fun'

Before I can answer some of your questions, let me have some more infromation about the content of your SD Card, which you are seeing on your PC.

1. From what you say, I assume you are not looking at an actual SD Card, but a 'copy' of a card's data which was made to a folder on your computer?
2. Assuming that the data is on your computer, can you see the full Technics Folder/File structure ie 'PRIVATE' > 'TECHNICS' > 'KN7000' > Files TFLDxxx or are you just seeing the 'TFLDxxx' files.
You may also see two other files called 'KN7000MN.inf' and 'KN7000MN.bak' along with the 'TFLDxxx' files.

Points raised in your other questions :

The Panasonic Card Reader is part of the SZ-CB7 SD Audio PC Writing Kit, which also included the SD Jukebox CD. You only need this item if you wish to make MP3 Audio files which can be played on your KN7000.

The SD Card reader on your computer should work fine for reading and writing data to an KN7000 Card, however you should be aware that it is very important that the correct structure of the data on the card is maintained, otherwise the KN7000 will just not read the card and return errors.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#70374 - 07/11/10 10:56 AM Re: More about Working with an SD card

From Bill Norrie

Before I can answer some of your questions, let me have some more information about the content of your SD Card, which you are seeing on your PC.

1. From what you say, I assume you are not looking at an actual SD Card, but a 'copy' of a card's data which was made to a folder on your computer?
2. Assuming that the data is on your computer, can you see the full Technics Folder/File structure ie 'PRIVATE' > 'TECHNICS' > 'KN7000' > Files TFLDxxx or are you just seeing the 'TFLDxxx' files.
You may also see two other files called 'KN7000MN.inf' and 'KN7000MN.bak' along with the 'TFLDx

My answers to question #1 - Your assumption is correct.

Question #2 – I am only seeing 'TFLDxxx' files nothing else.
It all looks like the typical cut and paste procedure.

From Bill Norrie

The Panasonic Card Reader is part of the SZ-CB7 SD Audio PC Writing Kit, which also included the SD Jukebox CD. You only need this item if you wish to make MP3 Audio files which can be played on your KN7000.

Understood, is there any place where I can obtain the Panasonic Card Reader?

From Bill Norrie

The SD Card reader on your computer should work fine for reading and writing data to an KN7000 Card, however you should be aware that it is very important that the correct structure of the data on the card is maintained, otherwise the KN7000 will just not read the card and return errors.

Bill, I remember seeing that structure a while back. I did delete most of what pertained to the Kn7000 when I sold mine. Did the Kn7000 come with a CD which gave information on this topic?

Bill, Thank you and I am really having fun.
John C.

#70375 - 07/11/10 10:56 AM Re: More about Working with an SD card
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
The easiest way to go John C is to purchase the KN SD Explorer Tool from Fred Mellinck, (if it is still available).

This opens up SD Cards with the names you have given the files and both Folders and Files can be sorted in alphabetical order.

His email address is fmlk@chello.nl

Audrey

#70376 - 07/11/10 01:58 PM Re: More about Working with an SD card
Bill Norrie Offline

OK John, Since you cannot see the full file structure the 'restoring' process will be a bit long winded - depending on how many TFLDxxx files are in the folder. If you don't have too many TFLDxxx files, then probably the easiest way would be to use the 'Copy to Floppy' method. However, if you have a large number of files the alternative is to use Fred's program, as suggested by Audrey. Do you have a copy of the program?? If not, are you willing to purchase one? If you wish to take this route, I'll write the procedure for you...........

If all else fails John, I would be happy to recover your files for you, and put them in a format which you could copy directly to and SD Card, just using your PC and its card reader. If you wish to take this option, then just copy all the files into a single folder, Zip the folder and upload it to a file sharing site such as http://www.4shared.com/ You need to 'Sign up' and register but it's fairly painless!! I can then download the files, do the recovery and upload it back to '4shared'. The reason I suggest this method is that I expect the Zip file will be too large to attach to an email..........

The SZ-CB7 SD Audio PC Writing Kit occasionally appears on eBay and another possibility is to contact Walt Tenay - I seem to remember him posting that he had one for sale, in the not too distant past.......

The only CD which came with the KN7000 was the 'Applications and Drivers' CD which had the USB drivers to allow communication between the KN7000 and a PC, together with the Panasonic Song Manager and Panasonic Audio Recorder. The Audio Recorder can be used to make Digital recordings of your KN7000 via USB, to your PC.
If you don't have the CD, you can download the content from my website and then burn a CD. http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page10.html (Tip #15) The installation procedure is also available on that page (Tip #1)

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 07-11-2010).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#70377 - 07/11/10 06:48 PM Re: More about Working with an SD card
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
I don't have anything to add to this discussion as Bill Norrie has taken everything in hand -
but
I thought it was worth saying that, with people like Bill around, anyone needing help couldn't come to a better place.
Not for the first time, I've noticed that Bill is usually among the first there, to smooth the path and often goes to a great deal of trouble on behalf of others who need a helping hand.
I know that Bill is not alone in this respect and wish to acknowledge all those on the forum who willingly go the extra mile to help without reward. Lovely to come across so many really nice people.
Best wishes
Tony

#70378 - 07/12/10 04:28 AM Re: More about Working with an SD card

Audrey, Thank you, if I can locate him I will buy the program.

Bill, If you decide to run for office you already have Tony’s vote and mine. (smile)

John C.

#70379 - 07/12/10 06:05 AM Re: More about Working with an SD card
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA

#70380 - 07/12/10 09:21 AM Re: More about Working with an SD card
Bill Norrie Offline

Better to go direct to http://vision-4-life.nl/SDExplorer.htm

You can download a fully functional demo version on this page...........

Aldous Huxley

#70381 - 07/14/10 02:29 PM Re: More about Working with an SD card
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Hi John C

Yes, Although I don't have a KN7000 anymore I still have the SD-Explorer tool available.

You can read all about it at
http://www.vision-4-life.nl/SDExplorer.htm

------------------

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online