SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#70239 - 06/07/10 03:46 AM KN7000 Driver and Windows 7
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
I have just installed the KN7000 drivers into my new Win 7 x64 computer. They installed OK but I'm having a few connection problems from the KN to a computer sequencer software (Cubase).

Just wondering if anyone else has successfully installed the KN's drivers into Win 7 and if you have a 'Panasonic USB Midi' entry in the Device Manager - Sound, Video and Game Controllers section. I have two entries of Panasonic Musical Instrument, I think one should say Midi ?

Thanks

Glen

#70240 - 06/07/10 04:18 AM Re: KN7000 Driver and Windows 7
technicsplayer Offline

yes.

select the bottom one, and change it to midi.

from memory... highlight, select properies, driver, update driver, install from a list or location (may be advanced), next, don't search I will choose, next, select the (latest) panasonic usb midi from the list, wait for completion message, finish to way out, and then reboot to load new driver.

It should talk to cubase now.

#70241 - 06/07/10 05:21 AM Re: KN7000 Driver and Windows 7
Glen Coyne Offline

Thanks Alec

I did try that but Panasonic USB Midi wasn't in the list just USB Audio Device. I have done this a couple of times previously with my old XP system and the above file was in the list. With the current two drivers both saying Panasonic Musical Instrument I can get a midi file to play from Cubase to the KN7000 so its partially working. If I press a key on the KN the midi activity light works on the Cubase Transport panel but nothing when I try to record. I've also noticed if I have Cubase loaded but not doing anything I can't select anything in the 'Sound Group' of the KN. If I press say Guitar the Sound Explorer opens and only GM Basic sounds are available.

Alec are you using Win 7 64 bit as this may be the problem, perhaps Win7 32 bit may work.

I spoke to a guy at Panasonic support today Mike Beaven and he said there definitely wont be a Win 7 update to the driver !! If it doesn't work then ....sorry.

Glen

#70242 - 06/07/10 02:19 PM Re: KN7000 Driver and Windows 7
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Glen.

I am by no means a computer expert, but from a recent article in my computer magazine, a lot of older computers (including keyboards) will not work in the 64 Bit mode, so it is quite possible that this is the problem.

If you are using Windows 'Professional' or 'Ultimate', you can reset Windows 7 to use the 32 Bit mode instead of the 64 Bit. It's worth a try.

If you get it sorted, would you post the solution on this Forum please? I'm sure many members will be interested.

Audrey

#70243 - 06/07/10 03:09 PM Re: KN7000 Driver and Windows 7
Glen Coyne Offline

Hi Audrey

Many thanks for your reply

I think the option you are talking about is Virtual XP Mode. If you have Win 7 Pro and higher you can download the XP Virtual software free from Microsoft, it installs an XP computer within Win 7. I have tried this but the sequencing software I use (Cubase Studio 5)runs better under Win 7 x64 and if I successfully installed the KN Driver in Virtual XP it would not be able to communicate with a Windows 7 program. Although an XP program can be accessed from the Win 7 start menu the two systems cannot communicate with each other ... as far as I know.

I have managed to get around the problem by using the old fashion 5 pin midi cables (in and out) with a USB sound card (Tascam US-144) which has inbuilt midi ports. This works very well, so I can now communicate with Cubase both ways with zero latency.

It would be nice though if Panasonic remembered all its loyal Musical Instrument customers and comissioned a programmer to have a look at converting the old drivers for the more modern computers and Operating Systems most of us will have to buy eventually. After all, I think most of us have bought more than one KN keyboard over the years and they were designed to last.

Glen

#70244 - 06/07/10 04:04 PM Re: KN7000 Driver and Windows 7
technicsplayer Offline

I put all the music programs in virtual xp because the usb audio is the most important feature to have, midi can be done with din cables as you described.

#70245 - 06/10/10 04:18 PM Re: KN7000 Driver and Windows 7
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
This is an interesting post. I am about to go over to Windows 7 myself and to be honest it hadn't even occurred to me that it might not work with my KN7 or (dare I say it) the Tyros 3.

As mentioned, I am no expert so any help with these matters are always appreciated by me and many others I am sure.

Thanks to you both.

Audrey

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online