SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#69954 - 02/12/10 04:01 PM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Alec, I agree totally with you. Single loads of custom memory files was the way I initially filled the custom memory locations. Back when I was playing older keyboards, I routinely filled custom memory with styles that I would use for the next hour or so. I used any trick I could think of, to avoid loading from disk. It just took too long. . .

Now, I only use custom memory to store some generic stuff that I sometimes use as a starting point for setting up the keyboard for a song or a medley. But, once I have the keyboard set up, I always save it to a SD memory location and then forget what I had in custom memory from that point on for that song. I also have a set of memory locations in my SD card that contain generic styles like Latin, or Big Band Slow, and that sort of thing. I used to keep that stuff in Custom Memory. On rare occasions, I might use some of the custom memory stuff for playing songs at random for which I don’t have a previously planned setup, but most often use the generic area of my SD card for that purpose.

Bill, I am curious to know how you find custom memory useful with the KN7000. There’s still a lot of stuff this old guy can learn.

#69955 - 02/13/10 01:51 AM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
So, to summarise For Trevor John's benefit - there are broadly speaking three types of rhythm/style files...
1. Those that are built into the keyboard and are found in 14 of the 16 rhythm group buttons.
2. A limited number of changeable Custom styles found/loaded in the Custom style button area.
3. An amazingly large number of other style files which when downloaded to a floppy disk or SD Card will show up one at a time but not as a collection in the sixteenth button called Memory load when you load any one of them from a floppy disk or SD Card

I believe this last differs somewhat from the Yamaha approach where additional style files can be downloaded into the keyboard in quantity and then be selected from. No doubt this is currently confusing Tevor John as he expects to find these sorts of styles in quantity in Custom styles area in the KN7000.

One should add that updating the O/S does not change any of this in the slightest.

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 02-13-2010).]

#69956 - 02/13/10 04:55 AM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Bob,

In answer to your specific question : one of the groups I play with, sometimes do a medley of up to eight songs, with no actual breaks between the songs. So there is no opportunity to load different set-ups from SD Card, between the songs. All the songs within the medley, use different styles, tempos and sounds. I have the styles loaded in eight of the Custom memory locations and each style is linked into one of the eight Panel Memory locations, together with the sounds (Right1,Right2 and Left) and tempo, associated with each song. So, during the performance of the medley, it is only necessary to step through the Panel Memories 1-8 at the appropriate times, to advance to the set-up for the next song.
The Custom Memory is of course loaded from SD Card, prior to the medley performance and takes around 20 seconds to load.
The reason for using Custom Memory is that the styles used have been composed specifically for the songs within the medley, rather than using the 'generic' built-in styles.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69957 - 02/13/10 05:56 AM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
Bob Hendershot Offline

Yes, Bill, I can see how that would work. I do have several song setups where panel memory buttons choose different built in rhythms and composer rhythms, as well as voicing, at different places of the song or medley. I have 24 panel memory buttons to work with, and usually progress through them with a foot switch. But, I don't remember any that use totally different styles on the fly. My routine is to do a custom copy and move any custom style rhythm that I might be using to the composer, before I save to SD.

#69958 - 02/15/10 04:10 PM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Thanks very much everyone who has contributed to this thread. Sorry to not have come back before but have been rather tied up since Friday. I think I have got my now hairless head around most of the tutorial above for which I am most grateful.The most annoying thing is that I used to be able to do all this on my previous KN7000 but have simply forgotten all of it. It is, unfortunately, a common failing of octogenarians along with the inability to pick the keyboard up with one finger as one used to. ( I wish ).
I am working the rest of this week but will sort out a few of the styles that I want to use when I get the board back indoors after the week-end and see how I get on using the invaluable advice you have given me.

Thanks again

Trevor

#69959 - 02/24/10 04:27 PM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Everyone,

I've just caught up with the latest on Bernie's styles. Firstly, I'd like to say I have the KN SD Explorer tool which is usually simplicity itself to use but even that came up with the message that the SD Card is empty. I usually use Sandisk cards, so I bought another make (just in case) and got the same response.

Secondly, I can see all the files on my PC but going on Bill's imput, it's going to take a long time to drag and drop them onto another card, but I will try it later when I have the time.

Thirdly, I thought these were normal styles not Custom Styles and would appreciate confirmation on exactly what they are. If they are custom styles, that could be why the KN Explorer tool wouldn't load them.

Bob: your idea to make step-by-step notes is a good one, but I have to say I have three small plastic boxes each containing around 8 SD Cards with 99 Folders on each that our Keyboard Club members and myself have shared/swapped over the years using the KN SD Explorer Tool, with absolutely no problem at all, so I still think my PC is the culprit. I'll keep you posted on that one.

Audrey

#69960 - 02/24/10 05:07 PM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
Bob Hendershot Offline

Audrey, if you see the files at the PC (the TFLD files) and you can't see them at the KN7000, it means that you have not copied the KN7000mn.inf file with the KN7000 folder, or the .inf file is corrupted. The KN7000mn.inf file contains, among other things, an index of all the files including the long names that you have given to each style or song. The integrity of that file is paramount. It must be copied as a part of the KN7000 folder along with the TFLD files. So, when styles are copied to a SD card with Windows Explorer of the PC, the copy must contain the complete KN7000 folder with all the TFLD files as well as the KN7000mn.inf file.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 02-24-2010).]

#69961 - 02/25/10 01:24 AM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
RMepstead Offline

Re thirdly Audrey...
Bernies styles are normal styles not 'custom' styles.

#69962 - 02/25/10 03:38 AM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
RMepstead Offline

Hi again Audrey - re firstly and secondly...
If you like I'll get hold of an SD Card and download Bernie's styles onto it for you - I think I've got your address somewhere following Cambridge...
They really are worth having and I'd not come across most of them before.

#69963 - 02/25/10 07:27 PM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
That's got to be a first Roger !!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online