SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69944 - 02/11/10 03:57 PM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have to say I agree with Bruno "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" which I think is why I didn't upgrade when these were available to us.

It doesn't help with loading Bernie's styles though. I can't even get Bill Norrie's styles to work either despite following his 'plain English' and very explicit instructions. It is puzzling to say the least. If anyone comes up with a solution, please post the answer on this site.

Audrey

#69945 - 02/11/10 04:26 PM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
I don't know about an answer Audrey but I have found something which I don't understand. I have got the styles onto a 1G SD card exactly as instructed but again as soon as I pressed the custom style load button up came the same old message "The file you are trying to load is empty." After tearing out one or two of the remaining hairs, in desperation I pressed the Load button on the right hand side and all the styles miraculously appeared. They
could then be loaded one at a time but ONLY into memory not custom styles. The next one in knocked the previous one out. I'm sure that is definitely not right. How can one button say the file is empty and the other say it aint!!?

Obviously I only need to load those styles that I want to use and put them in the Custom styles folder but the directions in the manual do not work. The most infuriating part is that I know I did perform this operation on my earlier KN7000 but I can't remember how, other than according to the manual.

Somebody HELP!!!!

Regards,

Trevor

#69946 - 02/11/10 08:23 PM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Audrey, one possible way to find out what is going wrong, is for you to write down the procedure step by step that you are using as though you were trying to teach someone else how to restore Bernie's styles to a blank SD card. Then one of us could probably see the problem and offer help.

I am beginning to think that it may be helpful for some of us to resurrect the old Skype phone call process for these kinds of issues.

Trevor, I haven’t used Custom Styles since I discovered the speed of using SD cards. You can load a style from SD almost as fast as deciding what Custom memory that you want to use. Even faster if you use the SD Favorites option. When you load or save Custom styles to Custom memory, you are also loading or saving a few panel memories and other stuff. Can’t remember all the details. When you load or save with the SD card, you get a complete keyboard setup with 24 panel memories, complete sound files, etc. I don’t see any advantage in using Custom Memory.

But, that doesn’t answer your question . . . If the keyboard is saying that the file is empty, it is because you have entered a location at the FROM side of the display that does not contain a custom style file. ( see page 134 of your manual for floppy disk or page 150 for SD card )

#69947 - 02/12/10 02:01 AM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Thanks Bob. All taken on board and will experiment

Cheers,

Trevor

#69948 - 02/12/10 04:13 AM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Trevor, I think you are getting confused

If you can see all Bernie's styles when you press the Yellow 'SD Load' button, then that is exactly what you should see and the styles have been correctly transferred to the SD Card!! They will not be present in the CUSTOM memory, until you deliberately transfer some of them to the 20 CUSTOM Memory locations.
The 'new' styles, on the SD Card will always be loaded one at a time to the KN7000 COMPOSER memory, and you can then use the style just as if you had selected one of the built-in styles. The COMPOSER memory is accessed by pressing the 'MEMORY' button to the Right of the CUSTOM button. This is a totally different memory to the CUSTOM memory. All of Bernie's styles are in COMPOSER format - NOT CUSTOM format - which is quite different.

Depending on how the COMPOSER was structured during the original 'Save' process, there may be up to three different styles within the COMPOSER. These are referred to as Memory Banks 'A' , 'B' and 'C' and having loaded from the SD Card, you can then select any one of the three styles, by pressing the 'MEMORY' button, next to the COMPOSER button and selecting A, B, or C. Some of Bernie's styles just use COMPOSER bank 'A' but others use all three banks. These three Banks can hold either three totally different style patterns or can be variations of the same basic style, which allows you to have up to 12 variations of a single style (4 panel Variations times 3 Composer Banks)

Once you have loaded one of the styles from SD Card to COMPOSER memory, you then have the option to transfer one of the style Banks in to any one of the CUSTOM Memories, by using the procedure on Page 121 of your manual. Using this option, you can build up a group of 20 styles of your choice, which will remain in the CUSTOM memory - even after turning off the power - until you deliberately change one or more of these styles, by overwriting a location. This means that once you have loaded up a number of say your favourite styles to CUSTOM memory, you will have instant access to them, just as if they were built-in styles......
The CUSTOM memory is implemented in Flash Memory - similar to the SD Card - so retains its content until overwritten by new content, but the COMPOSER Memory is of a Volatile type and only retains its content for a short while, after turning off the KN7000 power.

Like Bob, I don't use the CUSTOM memory to any great extent - I just load a new style, directly from an SD Card. But, having said that, the CUSTOM memory can be useful..... but that's another story

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69949 - 02/12/10 06:32 AM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Very perceptive, Bill. I think you found his problem. When he said he "pressed the custom style load button" I thought he was referring to the load button for custom file load/save rather than the yellow SD load button. You are right, he is interchanging custom and composer memory in his thinking.

#69950 - 02/12/10 10:45 AM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Yup - my delving was heading in that direction too - see seperate thread where I said:
Good point Alec - but you will know as well as I that understanding precisely what folk mean when they put a message on here takes a bit of delving into sometimes...chuckle...
I've just noticed that Trevor wrote and I quote 'but do find some of the built in styles a bit dated and would very much like to be able to load others.' which kind of suggests to me that working with other style files than the built in standard and custom styles is foreign to him...so I'm delving....
I think our nearly bald Trevor - his words not mine - needds a bit of a training course..

#69951 - 02/12/10 11:50 AM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
technicsplayer Offline

The full story has still not been told: The Custom Load/Save button only loads SINGLE custom styles into individual slots in the custom section. Full custom loads (20 styles at once) are saved and loaded under the SD button along with Composers, Songs, Sounds and others which can be selectively chosen to be saved or loaded. If no SINGLE customs have been saved on the card then it is no wonder that menu shows no contents.

Single customs are saved in an entirely different folder to the TfldXXX folders, namely a Custom folder inside the KN7000 folder within the card structure. This folder can simply be dragged and dropped between SD cards without affecting the menu view because it does not depend on any index inf file. Likewise any single custom *.cst files can just be dropped into this folder without any special pc program like SDExplorer to then show up in that menu.

#69952 - 02/12/10 12:24 PM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
....and that's precisely why I made my last remark on my previous post

Quote "... but that's another story "

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69953 - 02/12/10 03:37 PM Re: O/S 1.4 and later
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Quote "... but that's another story "

and now you've got it!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online