SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69817 - 01/13/10 06:27 PM 7K TEMPO WHEEL IS SLIPPING
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
The tempo wheel on my 7K is slipping. It appears that access to the wheel would be to take those little rubber plugs out of the "lid" in order to reach some screws that hold the lid together? Once it is apart, will the wheel be easily located? What material would I use to replace the slipping "belt"....or whatever it might be?

Would the same wheel and belt be inside the 6K? I know I would have to take it apart from the bottom to access the tempo wheel in the 6K.... would rather not do that and certainly do not want to remove the belt from my other 7K. I use both 7K's!

My first thought was to contact Bill Norrie... However, I am sure someone or two, here on the SZ will be able to advise me???????

Elizabeth....

------------------

#69818 - 01/13/10 06:37 PM Re: 7K TEMPO WHEEL IS SLIPPING
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Hi, the problem you have is probably the rotary selector under the knob, there is no belt to another component. there is a small pcb. with the rotary selector on it.however this is now not avaliable from Panasonic. However if you contact your local service centre they may be able to find a replacement component to do the job,as these Alpha wheels as they are called are used by a large number of makes.
Best of luck John
P.S. I had this problem some years ago, I will try and find some details if I can.

#69819 - 01/13/10 08:26 PM Re: 7K TEMPO WHEEL IS SLIPPING
etwo4788 Offline

jd5live.....

The picture I have in my head is a little wheel with a band of some kind attached to whatever, that turns the tempo indicator that I turn with my hand on top of the KB....

I do not speak any form of electronics.... have no idea what a rotary selector might be other than it does sound a bit like my picture.... as for a pcb???? I have not a clue what that is....

Anyone else have any suggestions???? Bill? Roger?

#69820 - 01/14/10 02:22 AM Re: 7K TEMPO WHEEL IS SLIPPING
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I think JD5live may well be right and I do understand that what he says makes no sense to you at all...
I have come across a number of KN7000s where this tool has worn out through excessive and violent use - sounds a bit strong I know but where it has happened I've watched its owners absolutely whizzing the thing around and around !!!
If you had all your songs settings already saved to SD Card it wouldn't make any difference cos you'd already be set up...
Use your second KN7000 to achieve this is my suggestion.
Rog

#69821 - 01/14/10 07:37 AM Re: 7K TEMPO WHEEL IS SLIPPING
etwo4788 Offline

John & Roger.....

Thank you both very much for your responses to my post.

What I asked was, do those little round rubber things in the lid hide screws to take the lid apart for access to the tempo wheel? I do not want to possibly mar the lid if this is not the correct approach.

I do use the same SD cards in both 7K machines. All my PM registrations do have the proper tempo included for each piece I play....Once in awhile I need to change the tempo a bit. It has never been necessary to be "excessive and violent" in using the wheel.

Maybe there is a way to remove the part of the tempo wheel that protrudes from the 7K on the top of the machine to access the "rotary selector" or "Alpha wheel"? It makes more sense to me to take the lid apart for access.

While there is no "local service center" within 280 miles, there is a musician/computer saavy person who has offered to help if possible. Maybe he knows what a "pcb" might be. He is also a KB player though does not have a Technics.

Would the same parts be available in the 6K that could be used in the 7K?

Thank you again for your responses.

Elizabeth

#69822 - 01/14/10 08:23 AM Re: 7K TEMPO WHEEL IS SLIPPING
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Elizabeth, without access to a service manual, even an experienced electronics technician with no experience with the KN7000 would probably have problems with the disassembly nessary for getting to the dial wheel.

I have a service manual for the KN7000. The part number used is QGUG3002BC. I do not have a service manual for the KN6000. Maybe someone else with a KN6000 service manual could compare part numbers to see if the dial from your KN6000 might work.

The Printed Circuit Board (PCB) for the encoder switch (dial wheel) has a part number SXPG239011B. The schematic symbol for the switch is SW1101.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 01-14-2010).]

#69823 - 01/14/10 09:05 AM Re: 7K TEMPO WHEEL IS SLIPPING
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
The answer to your specific question as far as I am concerned is that the 'way in' has got to be via the screws behind the little round rubber things...however I was trying to discourage you from abusing your KN7000 in the process of finding out, as I am sure that there must be hundreds of little wires attached to things behind that lid and it is so easy to detach one or more of those with disastrous consequences without even being aware of it as you delicately remove the inner flap of the lid...
Rog

#69824 - 01/14/10 10:14 AM Re: 7K TEMPO WHEEL IS SLIPPING
Bob Hendershot Offline

That is correct. The screws are behind the cushions.

#69825 - 01/14/10 10:47 AM Re: 7K TEMPO WHEEL IS SLIPPING
etwo4788 Offline

ROGER... Thanks for the warning about the little wires...Not to worry, it is my nature to be very very meticulous, nit-pickey, and data oriented....

BOB H..... Thank you for the part number and the service manual thought..... I looked and found that I have 7K service manual too! Also have one for the 6K!

Probably the best thing for me to do is nothing at this point. As long as I can get it to work when/if needed by turning it very s l o w l e y.... I will be okay with it. Additionally, I will attempt to locate the part you suggested, and buy it, in order to have it on hand if/when it becomes necessary.

All I will have to do then is just remember where I put the service manual and the part!

Thanks to all of you for your help! You always come through and that in itself is so very very gratifying!

Hugs, Elizabeth

#69826 - 01/14/10 11:07 AM Re: 7K TEMPO WHEEL IS SLIPPING
Bob Hendershot Offline

Elizabeth, look at page 56 of your KN7000 service manual. At bottom left is the ROT PCB (Printed Circuit Board). The encoder switch is soldered to that board. It is almost certainly the switch itself and not the knob that is the problem. The switch can sense which direction you are turning the knob and sends appropriate signals to the electronics at the speed that you are turning the knob. The normal fix would be to replace the circuit board with it's components.

On page 76, you can see the knob as part number 48. (The control panel is shown upside down, or in the closed position.) The cushions are part number 63 and the screws are part number 74.

There should be similar pictures in your KN6000 service manual. I would compare part numbers for the ROT PCB to see if they are the same, if you want to transfer that PCB from the KN6000 to your KN7000. I have no idea if that would work.

Well . . . It's hard for me to see this stuff with my old eyes. But, I found the encoder switch part number on page 74. It is QSRGT003AA. A good technician could probably solder a replacement to the existing PCB.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 01-14-2010).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online