SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69594 - 12/01/09 03:01 PM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Since the beginning of August I run Windows 7 Ultima and it is very fast. I run the 32-bit version which means that more than 3GB on RAM is not addressed so useless, but startup of the PC in approx. 30 sec. Better multitsaking with multimedia applications. But let's be honest I had two blue screens during heavy PC usage (Video editing while music listening or such. And it can also be my PC that is more than three years old.

------------------

#69595 - 12/02/09 01:21 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
Hi Bill (abacus)

Thanks for the rundown on Windows 7, it looks promising. Do you run any of the Panasonic software and drivers, if so, are there any problems. This would be the only thing to stop me upgrading.

Glen

#69596 - 12/02/09 03:29 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Fred
I am trying to see if your SD Explorer program will work on my new Dell with Windows 7. I tried to move it from my XP machine, but no luck. Is there any sense in pursuing this ?

Bernie

#69597 - 12/02/09 05:13 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I will be visiting my friend this evening to see if Song Manager, SD Jukebox and Fred's SDExplorer will work on his PC with Win 7. I'll report back...........

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69598 - 12/02/09 06:17 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Glen
I do not have any of the Panasonic programs; however I have some programs designed for Win 98 and Win NT which only partly worked in XP, but work sweet as a nut in Windows 7.

Tip for all
When loading a program designed for an old OS, (Usually pre XP) right click the Install Program and select Properties.
Choose the compatibility tab and select the OS it was designed for.
Click apply followed by OK.
Run the install program, which will then load it in compatibility mode, and you should find that most of the older programs will work.
Note:
If you try and install old drivers on a 64 bit system, then it most likely won’t work as the older drivers were not designed for a 64 bit system.
Hope this helps

Bill

#69599 - 12/02/09 07:54 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I know I am showing my computer ignorance, but what is the sense of backing up programs that are already installed. for use on a new pc in case of failure. If I save an executable file, fine, I can supply the PIN # or whatever, and intall it again. OTOH, I find a saved app is always missing a DLL or .ex file.

Bernie

#69600 - 12/03/09 12:22 PM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Bill Norrie Offline

Re: Windows 7 compatibility - I had to abandon my visit to my friend last night but hope to do so tomorrow evening.......

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#69601 - 12/05/09 11:23 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Bill Norrie Offline

Well, there's good news and bad news !

Using the compatibility facility, in both Windows 7 and Vista, Fred's SD_Explorer, SD Jukebox and the Panasonic Recorder all work OK. However, although I could Backup and Restore SD Card data using Song Manager and play audio files on a PC through the KN7000 sound system (as normal), I could not carry out Technics or MIDI files transfers via the USB link. This would be important to me since I normally always carry out file transfers this way, rather than using floppy disk. When I get time and my friend's PC is available, I'll try to investigate the problem further.
I was using the Home Premium 32 Bit version of Windows 7 on a Dual Core Processor PC and Vista Home Premium 32 Bit version, for the tests.

Aldous Huxley

#69602 - 12/05/09 11:53 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Fred
I am trying to see if your SD Explorer program will work on my new Dell with Windows 7. I tried to move it from my XP machine, but no luck. Is there any sense in pursuing this ?

Bernie

Hi, SDExplorer works with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.

------------------

#69603 - 12/05/09 12:21 PM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
Hi Bill

Not exactly what I was hoping to hear but as you say there is still some good news in there. I see you was using the Home Premium version of Win 7. Apparently Win 7 Professional and above has a downloadable Windows XP Mode that is in addition to the XP compatibility mode. There is still some hope there.

Thanks for your report

Glen

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online